Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Wikiposts

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Old Nov 15th 2014, 6:25 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla
Yeah I agree. If you are referring to employment opportunities.

We went on a holiday / recce to Alberta a few years ago. Obviously impressed by the Rockies! We spent time in Edmonton and a small town Leduc.

As you say, and in my humble opinion (no doubt be 'corrected' here by someone) the choices would be limited to Calgary and Edmonton.
Hence why Ontario is our main focus at the moment
Err no, loads of employment opportunities and choices in what you want to do hence why so many people move from 'back East' for work rather than staying in thier home Provinces, every third person is from Ontario, every second is from Nova Scotia or Newfoundland.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 6:36 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Ok. In hindsight. Maybe I should have asked the question / made the title of the thread :
"where in Ontario do you live, what is its good and bad points?.."

Maybe that would have made it clear I was aware Ontario is quite big.. and wasn't expecting anyone to tell me where I should go... Its only initial research. Bit of semi - serious window shopping in the very early stages of emigrating after receiving a PER.. Just the done thing is it not ?

Ive had "useful information about it being impossible for nurses to be recognised"..
Again, when and where did I ever refer to nursing in this thread??
WE KNOW how much of a joke nursing is.

Well this thread has obviously took a different direction than was intended. Shame.

Back to Google for us I suppose
If you go down the pub and start a conversation, do you expect it to remain on ONE topic all night with out any deviation? It's the same on here, people will ask a question, other points will be raised and on it goes. If you can work just anywhere, then why worry about where OTHER people want to live, just go where you like the look of. We like the look of the Niagara Parkway, we are HOPING to move there, but we would not rule out Port Dover or Grey(s?) County, along the Beaver Valley. The important thing for us is a reduction in the length of winter, other people will find a job and then buy the best within the location that suits their needs, not necessarily where they would love to live. We have probably three more years, with at least as many more recces before we move, unless we win the Lottery then we are gone tomorrow
Old Nov 15th 2014, 6:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to add to post #107

Hi all,

As the title says.

I'll start off...

Oakville
Burlington
Barrie

These choices are part internet research, part advice, part gut feeling lol.

People's preferences would be interesting to hear, it would also help my wife and I try and narrow down our search to possibly a new home
up to post #11, excluding post #15 - me thinks the thread was done serious.

After that it was 'fun' or a 'game' as the OP has stated many times

Like being down at the pub or participating in a reality game show.

There isn't anything more BE members can contribute serious to the thread that the OP (is it he or she posting) takes seriously other than the (hint of ) its a 'game show' or a fishing expedition.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Err no, loads of employment opportunities and choices in what you want to do hence why so many people move from 'back East' for work rather than staying in thier home Provinces, every third person is from Ontario, every second is from Nova Scotia or Newfoundland.
Yeah suppose your right. My wife keeps telling me the 'west' is booming.

Suppose I should listen to her more lol.

I do have my own personal reasons why I feel Alberta lacks in choices though (for me)
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

...just go where you like the look of.

...other people will find a job and then buy the best within the location that suits their needs, not necessarily where they would love to live.
On your first point. My rationalising was, due to the obvious vastness of Ontario, (our first choice province) and due to obviously not having had the luxury of seeing all of it first hand (who has) and even not being aware that certain places existed! I was hoping to hear other peoples ideas of THEIR ideal place to live. Which in turn would lead me to 'look' and investigate them online. You know, early research.. As I said in the very first post, it was to "narrow down our search". Have a list of the so called cream of the crop. Yes they are personal choices and will vary, but need to start somewhere!

Id also like to explain that, I really do understand the basic requirement of securing a job. (for us both) Some might say I was doing it a little back to front. But I don't see any harm in finding (on paper) the 'ideal place to live, then see if there is job opportunities in that area.. If there turns out to be nop jobs, the schools are crap well then we'll 'move' on to the next area that popped up in our research.

My hope from this thread, was fairly straightforward. Maybe I worded it wrong, maybe I didn't. Maybe some people just read it wrong. Maybe if I said GTA instead of Ontario. Maybe some people just enjoy coming on a forum and pointing out obvious things to people, asking some slightly irrelevant questions and changing the direction of the thread. Beats me why.. Suppose I have to learn to ignore the dream stealers...

For example, if a polish family were immigrating to Scotland and asked me the same question I did. From my local knowledge and experience I could easily inform them of my top 3 or 5 choices. Its really not that difficult.. in my head anyway

As any new immigrant, we will ultimately end up "just going where we like the look of" and obviously where we get jobs.. What else can you do.

Suppose its time to put this thread to bed.. going round in circles and Im wasting a chunk of time writing these posts when we have a good bit of research to do!

Thanks to anyone who played 'the game' lol

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 15th 2014 at 8:26 am.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah suppose your right. My wife keeps telling me the 'west' is booming.

Suppose I should listen to her more lol.

I do have my own personal reasons why I feel Alberta lacks in choices though (for me)
Not really the west, just Alberta and to an extent Saskatchewan, you wont find BC anywhere close to being booming unless you have a good specific skill in something. BC suffers from the, everyone wants to come here for the weather, skiing and lifestyle, but there are not the jobs to support everyone, so wages are pushed down, and lots of competition.

A lot of BC'ers also head to Alberta for work.

My experience with Ontario job wise was, unless you have a good in demand skill its a difficult place to get an interview living there, let alone living anywhere else.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not really the west, just Alberta and to an extent Saskatchewan, you wont find BC anywhere close to being booming unless you have a good specific skill in something. BC suffers from the, everyone wants to come here for the weather, skiing and lifestyle, but there are not the jobs to support everyone, so wages are pushed down, and lots of competition.

A lot of BC'ers also head to Alberta for work.

My experience with Ontario job wise was, unless you have a good in demand skill its a difficult place to get an interview living there, let alone living anywhere else.
Yeah that was my experience in Vancouver. They wanted to pay me a lot less than I was earning in Toronto even though the cost of living in Vancouver was higher.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Decisive moment
We have just returned from our recce and are pretty much settled on the Caledon region.
We were there today. The need arose to go from Orangeville to Brampton so I took Heart Lake Road quickly. Lovely drive, lovely country (in a home counties, horsey, gobs of money, kind of way).
Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:52 pm

On your first point. My rationalising was, due to the obvious vastness of Ontario, (our first choice province) and due to obviously not having had the luxury of seeing all of it first hand (who has) and even not being aware that certain places existed! I was hoping to hear other peoples ideas of THEIR ideal place to live. Which in turn would lead me to 'look' and investigate them online. You know, early research.. As I said in the very first post, it was to "narrow down our search". Have a list of the so called cream of the crop. Yes they are personal choices and will vary, but need to start somewhere!

Id also like to explain that, I really do understand the basic requirement of securing a job. (for us both) Some might say I was doing it a little back to front. But I don't see any harm in finding (on paper) the 'ideal place to live, then see if there is job opportunities in that area.. If there turns out to be nop jobs, the schools are crap well then we'll 'move' on to the next area that popped up in our research.

My hope from this thread, was fairly straightforward. Maybe I worded it wrong, maybe I didn't. Maybe some people just read it wrong. Maybe if I said GTA instead of Ontario. Maybe some people just enjoy coming on a forum and pointing out obvious things to people, asking some slightly irrelevant questions and changing the direction of the thread. Beats me why.. Suppose I have to learn to ignore the dream stealers...

For example, if a polish family were immigrating to Scotland and asked me the same question I did. From my local knowledge and experience I could easily inform them of my top 3 or 5 choices. Its really not that difficult.. in my head anyway

As any new immigrant, we will ultimately end up "just going where we like the look of" and obviously where we get jobs.. What else can you do.

Suppose its time to put this thread to bed.. going round in circles and Im wasting a chunk of time writing these posts when we have a good bit of research to do!

Thanks to anyone who played 'the game' lol
I now feel confusedcas to what you expected to get from this thread, but you got from me, where we are hoping to move too, however other than driving around the area we reccied we have no knowkedge, uou got answers to the areas you adked about. You seem to be forgetting we were all where you are right now. When we came to Alberta, we had an RV for 2 weeks and applied for jobs in places we liked the look of and ended up in Red Deer, the initial dreamnwas to buy a campground in the rockies looking at water, in hindsight, the route we followed was much better and more realistic. So many newcomers to the site ard far too serious. There is a Facebook group that is serious, irritatingly so.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Grey County, along the Beaver Valley.
Very nice, spectacular views, but very, very, snowy.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why I, and others, mentioned the nursing thing in ON fairly early on in the thread. Personally, if I found out that it is the hardest (longest/costliest) province to to become registered as a nurse in, I'd look at other provinces where it's quicker and easier.

I guess it will depend on your savings and whether you can survive on one salary until she can work as a nurse (or whether she'd go stir crazy not being able to, I know I would). But although you said you didn't want to look at that now, it's a fairly vital part of your research I'd say.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 15th 2014 at 7:50 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:19 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

OP, what do you think of Burlington? Of your three initial ideas, Barrie has been shot down, and you've heard that Oakville is slightly pricier than Burlington, but much the same in character...so what aspects of Burlington do you particularly like or dislike.

Perhaps others can then suggest alternatives and correct any misperceptions?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
Very nice, spectacular views, but very, very, snowy.
Noted, thank you. We dont think volume of snow would be an issue for us, it's the length of time snow is on the ground that causes us grief. We are also hoping to be at worst semi retired and planning on having snow days when necessary
Old Nov 16th 2014, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
OP, what do you think of Burlington? Of your three initial ideas, Barrie has been shot down, and you've heard that Oakville is slightly pricier than Burlington, but much the same in character...so what aspects of Burlington do you particularly like or dislike.

Perhaps others can then suggest alternatives and correct any misperceptions?
It's been recommended to us, and apart from doing the standard internet search I can't say we have any particular opinion on it.. Seems well rated as a nice safe place to live. Who knows whether it will be too pricey for us yet..
We're planning on renting, and we have still to get a feel and appreciation for what money can get you in different areas. I.e. What's overpriced or what is the standard rate.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's been recommended to us, and apart from doing the standard internet search I can't say we have any particular opinion on it.. Seems well rated as a nice safe place to live. Who knows whether it will be too pricey for us yet..
We're planning on renting, and we have still to get a feel and appreciation for what money can get you in different areas. I.e. What's overpriced or what is the standard rate.
Ah, finally a question for which an answer can be found. You can use Home (a bit like an unsurprisingly inferior version of rightmove.co.uk)
and several other sites such as viewit.ca (or is it .com?) to figure that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.