Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you could move to the US

If you could move to the US

Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could move to the US

Nope. Could do anytime we wanted, but it just isn't somewhere I'd want to live. I'd consider New York or surrounding states, but only if hubby was paid a huge amount to go there, and most of his job offers are Texas or California, neither of which appeal in the slightest.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Short term yes, long term no.

Don't like attitude towards guns in certain states.
Health care.
Their politics
FOX NEWS
I would echo this and add that I had an issue with the blind Patriotism, ignorance of any other place on Earth, pretend teaching in the schools (although fantastic facilities in wealthier areas), lack of "childhood". USA is a great place to visit. I would never want to live there again. Of course USA is a big place and my experience was with semi-rural Pennsyvania for 9 years. My sister disliked living in beautiful area, in beautiful house with pool etc outside LA because she found people obsessed with money, achievement, getting more and more of stuff! It is not for everyone.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
well, I think it is different ........................

people do disagree up here, and may be nasty about it ............... but I have never felt in danger, and that is quite literally what one friend told me during the last election campaign in the US ............ he was scared to say even which party he thought he would vote for, or that he disagreed with one or t'other politician.

that friend is a brave man in all other parts of his life!
Again, agree with these comments. After about 18 months my husband and I pretty much stopped making any comments about politics/ culture / the world. We just let others talk and politely listened. We certainly felt an uncomfortable undercurrent that it was not appropriate to disagree with people about anything. We often found that our political and moral opinions were assumed to be in line with our neighborhood classification i.e. Conservative; Republican; anti immigration; outwardly racist - I lost track of the times people berated the "entitlement" culture in New England and the "communism" in Europe. For a year or two we might have interjected but after a while we realized that nobody wanted to debate or hear another side. They just wanted a herd mentally to reassure themselves that all was great in their little bubble of right wing suburban middleclass America.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 3:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
But what does "and healthcare wasn't a worry" mean? I did move to the US and have remained for 17 years. The healthcare itself is first class IF you have good health insurance. However, health insurance is expensive and the red tape is a PITA. It's the worst thing about living here and wastes time and money for everyone involved. You can't separate living in the US from the healthcare and health insurance situation. It's a major issue here.
I think that's what health care being a worry meant.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife lives here and can't live/work in the US.
But now that you're married, doesn't that change things?
(not that we're trying to get rid of you of course )

We got married to ease my path into Canada, for example.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 3:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Don't like attitude towards guns in certain states.
Health care.
Their politics
FOX NEWS
I don't find that hugely different up here to be honest. They still like their guns and although Canadians are proud of medicare, they don't seem in favour of it being extended to medical treatment outside of hospitals. Mere mention of drug coverage brings out the old "my tax dollar" argument.

Harper was elected so maybe not as different as we'd like to think.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 4:32 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It probably depends where you are.

I don't agree the US is "exceptional" or in American "exceptionalism." um, no, you're not.

Their political system is dysfunctional. I don't like FOX news but I don't like the "liberal" alternatives either - they are just as biased in their own way. The US seems very polarized in an unhealthy way.

Their value system - ultra competitive, testing, scoring, NCLB teaching etc - yuck.

Guns. Just no.

My husband would love to move to LA, but I don't want to and have told him no. I don't want to raise my kid there. The weather is nice though, but ...no. It's fun to visit like someone previously said though. And I know there are very liberal parts.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Mar 8th 2015 at 4:49 am.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 4:38 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't find that hugely different up here to be honest. They still like their guns and although Canadians are proud of medicare, they don't seem in favour of it being extended to medical treatment outside of hospitals. Mere mention of drug coverage brings out the old "my tax dollar" argument.

he's not popular around here.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 4:50 am

yes, but do they have assault rifles, pistols etc designed to kill people or are they using guns for hunting? there's a difference. Where I grew up in NZ everyone had a rifle but guns were for hunting, not for 'defence' or to kill people.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 5:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
yes, but do they have assault rifles
Around here there's a fair amount of heavy ordnance in private hands, tanks, mortars, assault rifles, machine guns. The US doesn't have a monopoly on survivalist, or religionist, nutters. However, in neither country are such people the mainstream.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

I talked to my husband about this thread and he basically said `1) USA is not somewhere he would want to bring up kids 2)Get real, we actually knew people who got shot and killed, who got bludgeoned to death and we lived in a "nice" neighborhood. The USA has problems that it brushes under the carpet.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 6:09 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare issues aside I don't see any particular differences in day-to-day living between Vancouver and Seattle.

Several years ago I had a job offer in San Jose. I did think about it seriously but declined. I am not all that sure I can articulate why I did. San Jose seemed a pleasant enough place if rather bland, but it is only a short drive to San Francisco. Housing was eye-wateringly expensive (made Vancouver seem cheap). There is , of course, the healthcare issue. Even the weather gets boring when it is warm and sunny every day.

I suppose that in the end I felt that, having moved to Canada and become Canadian, we hadn't invested enough in our lives here to up sticks again. We are very settled now. I can foresee being snowbirds in the future but not a long-term move to the US.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I could have chosen to go to the US but chose Canada, it wasn't extremely deliberate but I think the gun culture, the media, politics and yes the NRA made the choice for me.
If I went, I would go to San Francisco but there are still issues in that country that made me feel Canada would be preferable.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 6:23 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
yes, but do they have assault rifles, pistols etc designed to kill people or are they using guns for hunting? there's a difference. Where I grew up in NZ everyone had a rifle but guns were for hunting, not for 'defence' or to kill people.
Probably mainly hunting but there are gun clubs and things and I don't get the impression that hunters use them to get better. Whenever there's one of those fatal shootings (accidental or nutter), the debates seem to resemble those of the US. Just like the anti-abortionists.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 6:28 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you are on the other side of the country maybe its different.

I've not had politics shoved down my throat, gun talks are centered around hunting and never heard anyone mention about it being their right.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 6:48 am

ditto to cbrown89, and ditto re: abortion too.

Abortion politics is another turn-off for the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.