Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If not Vancouver, where and why?

If not Vancouver, where and why?

Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice
Default If not Vancouver, where and why?

Having just got back from Van and seen 1 bewd studio condos going for £370,000, im seriously looking at other options in BC and Canada generally.

For those of you who love Van but are not in possession of a kings ransom, where else you have looked in BC or outside the province as an alternative??

Stu
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:59 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If not Vancouver, where and why?

Originally Posted by stuartm
Having just got back from Van and seen 1 bewd studio condos going for £370,000, im seriously looking at other options in BC and Canada generally.

For those of you who love Van but are not in possession of a kings ransom, where else you have looked in BC or outside the province as an alternative??

Stu
Are you confusing $ with £?

Have you looked at the rest of the Fraser Valley for cheaper property?

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 24th 2010 at 1:04 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Nope - Condos in Yaletown CAD 560,000, which is around £340,000 (slight overestimation sorry)

Stuart
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - Condos in Yaletown CAD 560,000, which is around £340,000 (slight overestimation sorry)

Stuart
False Creek and Kits will get you in well under that

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9058929

Or even North Van

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8897084

Or a house or condo slightly further afield in Pitt Meadows

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 24th 2010 at 1:16 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats still a ridiculous price, especially when you consider that the latest stats suggest that Vancouverites spend around 75% of their incoem on accomodation.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:37 pm
Beep

Thats still a ridiculous price, especially when you consider that the latest stats suggest that Vancouverites spend around 75% of their incoem on accomodation.
Well it all depends on your level of ridiculousness. I personally find it affordable. Surely you were aware of the property prices in and around Vancouver in your research?

I fear, if you feel $249k is a far too high price for accommodation close to Downtown Van, or $350k for accommodation within the downtown core then most commutable areas for work in BC may be out of the question.

Have you thought of renting for a while? Always seems very affordable going down that route, if you'd like to live more centrally.

Failing that, we have a cabin on the outskirts of Cranbook, BC and the property there can be reasonable. Example1, Example2, and Example3.

It all depends on where your work allows you to live i guess. I couldn't comment on any of the other provinces.

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 24th 2010 at 1:39 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Well it all depends on your level of ridiculousness. I personally find it affordable. .
Nobody likes smug rich bastards.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:50 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nobody likes smug rich bastards.

$249k or $350k (to live downtown) is affordable.

And i'm only Rich in name
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

$249k or $350k (to live downtown) is affordable.

And i'm only Rich in name
Not if it's in a poxy 500 sqft rabbit hutch. Anyway - condo's are for renting as you may get some arsehole of a neighbour who you are stuck with for years.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think ill be looking at the Avalon Hotel or a cardboard box on Hastings at this rate
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:07 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not if it's in a poxy 500 sqft rabbit hutch. Anyway - condo's are for renting.
Aaah but there's a difference between affordable and acceptable

The example in Kits was 1200 sq/f

North Van was 800 sq/f

And Pitt Meadows examples were 1600 sq/f & 730 sq/f

All seem acceptable to me unless you have a huge family and a shit job
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:09 pm
Beep

I think ill be looking at the Avalon Hotel or a cardboard box on Hastings at this rate
Have you tried Vancouver Island?

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8983189

Or Kamloops?

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8952864

Or even Prince George for a whopping $7.5k

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8783894

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 24th 2010 at 2:11 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:12 pm
Nil Desperandum Illegitim

lwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to beholdlwilli63 is a splendid one to behold

Property in Vancouver is not cheap. Before my fact finding visit in Oct 2009 I did some research and it would appear that Vancouver has on average the most expensive real estate in Canada.

During my visit we hired a car and drove around looking for places that on the surface seemed like the sort of place we would like to live in.

We loved Kitsilano, but when we returned to the hotel to scan MLS for property in the area our hearts sank as the prices seemed to start at CAD 1.5 million for what I would call a modest sized property (2-3 bed with very small garden).

We cast our net further afield and went to visit Coquitlam (30-40 min drive due east from downtown Vancouver). We saw some decent sized properties in Spring Canyon (development on a hill overlooking Coquitlam) starting at CAD 500,000 for 3+ bedrooms. We liked Coquitlam but again I emphasize that we were visiting and only managed to get a superficial feel for the place. I have read many posts from people advising against Coquitlam (not sure why).

Also liked North Vancouver a lot, and it also appears to be somewhat cheaper than downtown.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:23 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by lwilli63
Property in Vancouver is not cheap. Before my fact finding visit in Oct 2009 I did some research and it would appear that Vancouver has on average the most expensive real estate in Canada.

During my visit we hired a car and drove around looking for places that on the surface seemed like the sort of place we would like to live in.

We loved Kitsilano, but when we returned to the hotel to scan MLS for property in the area our hearts sank as the prices seemed to start at CAD 1.5 million for what I would call a modest sized property (2-3 bed with very small garden).

We cast our net further afield and went to visit Coquitlam (30-40 min drive due east from downtown Vancouver). We saw some decent sized properties in Spring Canyon (development on a hill overlooking Coquitlam) starting at CAD 500,000 for 3+ bedrooms. We liked Coquitlam but again I emphasize that we were visiting and only managed to get a superficial feel for the place. I have read many posts from people advising against Coquitlam (not sure why).

Also liked North Vancouver a lot, and it also appears to be somewhat cheaper than downtown.
Yeah it's a tough call. Renting for sure is the most affordable way to live for many people who want to be as close to downtown as possible.

Unfortunately, if you're working in and around the downtown area and you want to buy more affordable property, you'd need to live further afield which equates to potentially huge commuting time and limited personal/home time.

But everybody who goes down through immigration process to live in and around vancouver knows this, right?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:29 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Stuart
Yaletown has some of the most expensive property prices in Vancouver. If you lived in London would you be buying in Mayfair??
If its proximity to the downtown you're after check the westend, Lower lonsdale, or somewhere near the sky train.

As for other options in BC & Canada, that all depends what you're looking for. Do you need a big city, or would somewhere the size of Kelowna be okay for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.