British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   If not a teacher, then what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/if-not-teacher-then-what-728527/)

Tangram Aug 14th 2011 11:22 pm

Re: If not a teacher, then what?

Those that can, do......

Auld Yin Aug 15th 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9559468)
Those that can, do......

Oh, don't get ME started.

Steve_P Aug 15th 2011 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9559468)
Those that can, do......

Walk a mile...

Largo Aug 15th 2011 2:26 am

[QUOTE=Steve_P;9559633]Walk a mile...[/QUOT Yes, Indeed

Atlantic Xpat Aug 15th 2011 11:47 am

Whislt I might agree with an expand upon Auld Yin's view on the evil that is Unions in teaching (& many other professions for that matter), you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to be a teacher. I suspect, if those that snipe, had to do it themselves, they'd rapidly find themselves coming to a similar point of view.

Tangram Aug 15th 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 9559633)
Walk a mile...

Ditto

Steve_P Aug 15th 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9560428)
Whislt I might agree with an expand upon Auld Yin's view on the evil that is Unions in teaching (& many other professions for that matter), you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to be a teacher. I suspect, if those that snipe, had to do it themselves, they'd rapidly find themselves coming to a similar point of view.

Fully agree hence my comment of walk a mile...

el_richo Aug 15th 2011 1:38 pm

I think anybody heading into a form of management job should be required to have spent at least one year teaching in the classroom.

cheeky_monkey Aug 15th 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Des and Chris (Post 9558975)
Probably because I don't want to get old wondering what if, I realise it's a risk, but I am of the mindset what will be will be. I want to see if there is something different / better/ as good as out there and the holidays I have spent in Canada I have loved. A risk worth taking? I don't know. .... But I don't want to regret not ever knowing.
I do love my job and my school and that potentially is a huge personal wrench for me - not being involved with children and education.

Complete madness

Des and Chris Aug 15th 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 9560647)
Complete madness

The risk I'm taking leaving a job I love?

Des and Chris Aug 15th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9560637)
I think anybody heading into a form of management job should be required to have spent at least one year teaching in the classroom.

Lol, that has the potential to sort the men from the boys:)!

cheeky_monkey Aug 15th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Des and Chris (Post 9561107)
The risk I'm taking leaving a job I love?

Yes i really dont understand jacking it all in for what excatly??????????

JonboyE Aug 15th 2011 6:12 pm

People are different. Some have an itch that has to be scratched, no matter what.

Some people will think that a secure job that they can do with ease is the recipe for a perfect life.

Others will view working the same job, that may have ceased to challenge them, year after year until retirement as profoundly depressing.

Geordie Lass Aug 15th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9561180)
People are different. Some have an itch that has to be scratched, no matter what.

Some people will think that a secure job that they can do with ease is the recipe for a perfect life.

Others will view working the same job, that may have ceased to challenge them, year after year until retirement as profoundly depressing.

I completely agree. We have a good lifestyle over here, hubby has a secure job with a really good wage. We still want to come over to Canada. We want a different lifestyle. It's likely we might have to take a cut in salary.

I don't want to get to 50, be depressed and think "what if we had got into Canada"... got to follow your dream I think.... :ohmy:

dbd33 Aug 15th 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9561188)
I completely agree. We have a good lifestyle over here, hubby has a secure job with a really good wage. We still want to come over to Canada. We want a different lifestyle.

What leaves me nonplussed is the idea of a different lifestyle, how is it going to be different?