Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC: Flying from Canada to US. ESTA?

IEC: Flying from Canada to US. ESTA?

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

ritchieee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC: Flying from Canada to US. ESTA?

Hi there. I am very much aware this topic has been answered time and time again but I just cannot find a straight answer, plus a lot of the topics focus on land entry.

I have been in Canada on an IEC since June, and will be flying to Chicago soon for two nights. I will then fly back to Canada for the remainder of my IEC.

1) Do I register for ESTA as usual, being a British passport holder? If so, what do I select as Country of Residence (infact, what is my status in Canada as an IEC holder?) This is the exact wording of the question from the ESTA site:

Country where you live *
Choose the country in which you reside. The country where you live is required to complete the application.
2) If I'm not legible for an ESTA, what do I need to do?

Also, in November, I will be flying to AZ to visit family for a couple of weeks. I've never visited in the US twice in such a short space.

3) Is there anything I need to do there?

December I'll fly to the UK for Christmas, and return to Canada in Jan 2015. In 2015, whilst still on my IEC, I'd like to visit the US again.

4) Should I be okay with an ESTA, I understand that returning to Canada does not reset the 90 days on the ESTA. But flying out of the UK a month after - would that reset it?

Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by ritchieee; Oct 22nd 2014 at 3:16 am. Reason: more info
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC: Flying from Canada to US. ESTA?

You will require an ESTA if flying. You are a temporary resident of Canada and you would normally reside in the UK.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi Former Lancastrian, thanks for the reply.

I'm confused as to how to answer that question then - I would normally reside in the UK but you're saying the IEC makes me a temporary resident of Canada. Could you advise how I would answer that question?

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused by this thread.

When I get an ESTA number it is valid for 2 years.

As long as I have the ESTA number when my passport is scanned I don't get questions about where I reside. They are based on my visit, where I am staying and when am I leaving.

But in the posters case I'd probably just put down that you are a resident in the UK. If you get asked tell them you are in Canada for just a year.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'm confused by this thread.

When I get an ESTA number it is valid for 2 years.

As long as I have the ESTA number when my passport is scanned I don't get questions about where I reside. They are based on my visit, where I am staying and when am I leaving.

But in the posters case I'd probably just put down that you are a resident in the UK. If you get asked tell them you are in Canada for just a year.
Sorry if I have confused you, I'm very confused myself!

So I'm not sure if temporary residency means I am a resident of Canada or infact remain a resident of the UK.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Put the UK as that is where you normally reside.