Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Identity theft

Identity theft

Old May 11th 2010, 12:46 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all
Default Identity theft

never thought it would happen to me.
when we sold our house to a nice enough family 7 months ago, three weeks before we headed over here, setting up post diversion, closing all accounts gracefully, i thought i did everything i could.
but 2 weeks ago i had 3 letters arrive thanking me for starting 3 new mobile phone contracts at our old UK address, I called Virgin, and told them i didnt order them, they were cool about it, and confirmed that the bank account wasnt real that they'd been given, phones would be blocked and that i shouldnt worry about it, over the next couple of days i received a couple of refusal letters for credit cards.
I cant really confirm, but it sounds like someone ordered the phones (£800 each worth), then waited outside our old house and either intercepted postman or told new people in house they were collecting them for me. Guess they would have been waiting for credit cards too.
Doesnt look like any harm has been done. but just a warning.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:55 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identity theft

Originally Posted by marclouis
when we sold our house to a nice enough family 7 months ago, three weeks before we headed over here, setting up post diversion, closing all accounts gracefully, i thought i did everything i could.
but 2 weeks ago i had 3 letters arrive thanking me for starting 3 new mobile phone contracts at our old UK address, I called Virgin, and told them i didnt order them, they were cool about it, and confirmed that the bank account wasnt real that they'd been given, phones would be blocked and that i shouldnt worry about it, over the next couple of days i received a couple of refusal letters for credit cards.
I cant really confirm, but it sounds like someone ordered the phones (£800 each worth), then waited outside our old house and either intercepted postman or told new people in house they were collecting them for me. Guess they would have been waiting for credit cards too.
Sorry to hear that. We are moving from Riverview to South Freddy in June. Can't wait after spending 7 months in a hotel in Fredericton. Been in Riverview 2 1/2 years, so will be nice for a change of scenery.

Last edited by Tangram; May 11th 2010 at 1:05 am.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:14 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sorry to hear that. We are moving from Riverview to South Freddy in June. can't wait after spending 7 months in a hotel. Been in Riverview 2 1/2 years, so will be nice for a change of scenery.
We spent the 1st 3 weeks in a hotel, then 2 months in a serviced apartment, that was hard enough with 2 kids.

But Freddy is great, just won some award "no.4 city" in canada to live.

I think we were very lucky no harm was done, but its a horrid feeling, is it someone you know mentioned "this guy i know is emigrating..." or maybe the brother of someone at BT is collecting names and addresses. The one week delay on post must help them.

Let me know if you are up for a beer at the Lunar.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marclouis
Thats a very lucky escape, believe me i have been there so has our daughter at uni having received a large Vodaphone bill when she has a pay as you go phone, she still has not sorted that out.
We had an email warning that some postmen are in on the bigger scams and post sorting offices ? Hope thats all sorted and you get nothing else, i would check your credit history, regularly