Wikiposts

ID cards

Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:43 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default ID cards

Does anyone know how long it takes for an ID card to arrive? My daughter is going on a cadet camp and we have just got joining instructions that says she needs government ID - that's fine, she has a passport BUT if she could take something a little less if it got lost I would be happy.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:51 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ID cards

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Does anyone know how long it takes for an ID card to arrive? My daughter is going on a cadet camp and we have just got joining instructions that says she needs government ID - that's fine, she has a passport BUT if she could take something a little less if it got lost I would be happy.

Does she have her learner drivers license?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Hubby and I got government ID cards at the same place we got our driving licence - about $12 each I think (could be wrong!). We didn't bother getting the kids any, but surely this would be just as acceptable and you take them with you when you get them done - no waiting.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:11 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Does she have her learner drivers license?
No I have told her as soon as she can answer any question I ask her that might come up I'll take her - this seems to be too much trouble though
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
Hubby and I got government ID cards at the same place we got our driving licence - about $12 each I think (could be wrong!). We didn't bother getting the kids any, but surely this would be just as acceptable and you take them with you when you get them done - no waiting.
Yeah I know where to get them from - is it an instant card or does it take a couple of weeks???
Old Jul 4th 2009, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

you have it done there and then - no sending off or anything. You just have to wait your turn.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 3:24 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

ID cards take about two to three weeks in BC. DND requires two pieces of Canadian Gov issued ID. One should always be a Canadian passport, or, if you do not have that yet, the PR card and another piece of ID like the provincial ID cards. British passports are not accepted as ID. My son just went to the Whitehorse Leadership Camp for six weeks, the rest of his unit are going to Vernon. Some of the local PR cadet parents were having the same worry as you about handing over passports, and the CO clarified they had to have them anyway for certain trips, so it is best to trust the kids won't lose them. The ID card and the PR card together were accepted for those who did not have Canadian passports, but only if they were not flying. One poor kid could not go as she had no passport and no ID aside from her PR card, the picture on which was her as a baby. It was rejected.

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 4th 2009 at 3:55 pm. Reason: I'm in BC. AB may be more efficient.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a drivers license why do you need a seperate ID card? Do drivers license in Nova Scotia not valid as an ID?

In BC your drivers license is one's ID, no need for a provincial ID card if you drive.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sometimes asked for 2 pieces of photo ID - easier than carrying around a passort and as it's a government issued ID, there is no worry about it not being accepted.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes asked for 2 pieces of photo ID - easier than carrying around a passort and as it's a government issued ID, there is no worry about it not being accepted.
Yes - the BC ID card is meant for those who don't want to have or cannot get a driving license.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes I understand your point and have not questioned BC's requirements at all. Simply answered why we have both sets of photo cards. As commented previously, sometimes we are asked for 2 forms of photo ID, therefore having both solves this problem.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat
ID cards take about two to three weeks in BC. DND requires two pieces of Canadian Gov issued ID. One should always be a Canadian passport, or, if you do not have that yet, the PR card and another piece of ID like the provincial ID cards. British passports are not accepted as ID. My son just went to the Whitehorse Leadership Camp for six weeks, the rest of his unit are going to Vernon. Some of the local PR cadet parents were having the same worry as you about handing over passports, and the CO clarified they had to have them anyway for certain trips, so it is best to trust the kids won't lose them. The ID card and the PR card together were accepted for those who did not have Canadian passports, but only if they were not flying. One poor kid could not go as she had no passport and no ID aside from her PR card, the picture on which was her as a baby. It was rejected.
Hi Dingbat - what is DND? My kid went on a cadet camp last year and didn't need any ID, this time though they are flying a bunch upto Cold Lake - they're getting the bus back as they are all on different length trips Well it's going to be an email to her CO to check the British passport thing - she leaves on Friday, so it's unlikely we'll get an ID card back in time! I really don't fancy having to drive 5 hours upto Cold Lake to drop her off.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:27 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dingbat - what is DND? My kid went on a cadet camp last year and didn't need any ID, this time though they are flying a bunch upto Cold Lake - they're getting the bus back as they are all on different length trips Well it's going to be an email to her CO to check the British passport thing - she leaves on Friday, so it's unlikely we'll get an ID card back in time! I really don't fancy having to drive 5 hours upto Cold Lake to drop her off.
Department of National Defense. I am fairly sure that if she is flying as a CAF cadet she must have a Canadian passport, but, as with everything government related, you just know there will be a variety of right answers! I have my son's Pacific Region Movement Order to Whitehorse dated June 15 right here - it says in capitals and in bold:

" No matter the mode of transportation, all cadets must have government issued photo ID to include name, gender and date of birth".
"Names should be spelled according to the person's government issued Photo ID cards".

My son's full legal last name here is not the last name he uses every day, we had to provide the court order showing that he has never and will never use the second last name, so that his ticket could be booked.

Our CO made a point of stating it had to be Canadian ID, but as I said, who knows? You should have the MO for your daughter if she leaves on Friday, as anyone flying courtesy of the cadets usually has to carry a copy of the MO with them. Hope you sort it all out and that your daughter has a blast.

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 5th 2009 at 1:36 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:32 pm

Thanks for that - as it says Government issue and her passport is government issue, I am sure that will be fine - it was last year when she went on a weeks trip to the US with the Cadets, I've put an email into her CO anyhow.

Just reading through the Joining Instructions and it clarified DND - Too tired to work it out myself

She's just announced she doesn't want to go and sleep outside in the trees for two weeks - she will have fun when she's there though! She's really lucky, she's the only one in her squadron to get this particular course
Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:10 am

This is the reply I have just recieved - looks like we're good to go, I just hope she comes home with what I send her off with I will encourage her to get her learners I think - then she can use that in future

She will only need one piece of Government ID. The permanent residency card would be best. You can also use the British passport if you wish. For air travel within Canada, you only need one piece of Government ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.