Icelandair..?

Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

greenfreelander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Icelandair..?

Hi to all

Would just like to ask if anyone has tried the service from Icelandair?

Am planning UK to Rekjavik...then on to Edmonton...!

Did you do a stop-over and would you recommend them for a family with younger children??
Old Jan 25th 2014, 7:12 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Icelandair..?

I have flown with them from Halifax to London. The good thing is that they allowed a stopover in Reykjavik for up to a week. Good service and the price was good. I'd use them again for sure.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

daughter 1 going winnipeg-Edmonton -iceland -Glasgow in the summer.
best price by a long way.
yup a real adventure to be sure.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:05 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

OH and son flew with them economy last year, Nov rtn Dec. Toronto to Man. no major complaints, Iceland stop was a nice way to split up the usual non stop long flight, no food enroute, but the stop over was a good place to get a pizza.

Have camera ready for Iceland pics, son got some amazing shots !!
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenfreelander
Hi to all

Would just like to ask if anyone has tried the service from Icelandair?

Am planning UK to Rekjavik...then on to Edmonton...!

Did you do a stop-over and would you recommend them for a family with younger children??
Yes, back when I was a student and price was an issue.

Yes, its boring, cold and expensive.

Absolutely not. Get a direct flight as possible and save yourself a headache.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 10:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes, back when I was a student and price was an issue.

Yes, its boring, cold and expensive.

Absolutely not. Get a direct flight as possible and save yourself a headache.
+1. I did it years ago. Reykjavik is a most depressing place and if you think booze is expensive here, look out for a shock.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

If you are willing to break up the journey and up for seeing a new place, then yes I would recommend. I flew from London Heathrow to Reykjavik and then onto Toronto back in 2011. Flight was fine. Just understand that they don't provide meals, so you either bring your own food, buy it at the airport (Keflavik has a good selection of in flight meals you can buy in the airport) or buy in the air.

You can stop over for up to 7 nights at no extra cost flight wise. I spent 3 nights in Reykjavik. City centre is small and you can walk around it fine in a day. There are some interesting museums, one is the settlement museum called 871 or something like that! The Blue Lagoon is great and they run coach shuttles from the airport to the lagoon and onto Reykjavik. It's pretty well set up for this. You can store luggage at the blue lagoon, so if for example you didn't even want to stay the night, you could arrive in the morning, take the bus to the lagoon, spend a few hours there, and then get the bus back to the airport and catch your late afternoon flight. It's a pretty slick operation.

If you stay longer a Golden Circle tour is worth it. You get to see a bit of the countryside, waterfalls, geisers etc. I would say its a fun adventure for the kids. You can also take boat trips, whale watching etc.

Find a self catering apartment and then it's not nearly as expensive as it could be.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:49 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1. I did it years ago. Reykjavik is a most depressing place and if you think booze is expensive here, look out for a shock.
Assumption that the poster drinks

Reykjavik is party central, there is a lot to do and see...you might even get lucky and bump into Bjork
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:08 am
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road

Hubby flew with them 2010 Winnipeg-Iceland-Uk and Return.
He said it was an experience, and has opted not to since.

But they are usually the cheaper option.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We flew to Halifax last year from Glasgow via Reykjavik and it was excellent. Iceland is an amazing place! Flights were great, plane seats were comfy, no complaints at all.

Only thing I would say is that Iceland is expensive. With a family it might get pricey....
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:48 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I flew from Toronto to London in 2011 and thought they were pretty good. Good range of entertainment on back of seat screens.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:30 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I flew from Toronto to London in 2011 and thought they were pretty good. Good range of entertainment on back of seat screens.

A lot can happen in 3yrs.....point in case, the person you married back then, isn't the same today....am sure you will agree?