Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I phookin 'ate Canada

I phookin 'ate Canada

Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I phookin 'ate Canada

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Well we are in
The window guy is coming back
The painters have been back
The telephone system needs repairing
The Floor needs repairing
The toilet has been replaced (in the family bath)
The cabinet guy is back on the 24th
The Exterior paint is on the to do list
The basement floor is cracked
The parging is still to be done
The blinds where finished today
But otherwise

Anyway thanks for asking

BTW we love it.
Great news

Don't suppose you want to rent out your condo to a lovely family of 5 with 2 dogs !!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are in
But otherwise

Anyway thanks for asking

BTW we love it.
Nice to hear you have finally moved in Butch

Is that the start of the snagging list or is there more.
Thats not a lot for a new house mate

Get Mrs C foot taped to the brake pedal

Eddie
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Well we are in
But otherwise

Anyway thanks for asking

BTW we love it.
Great news BC - congrats!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather difficult to plumb, I would have thought, but I guess it offers an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
They won't ..... they'll finish at least 2 weeks late, then when they are not quite finished they will give you an astronimical bill for all the "extra" hours you made them put in as "you wanted a rush job!!!!!"

No, we didn't want a rush job ..... we wanted a good job done well, in a timely manner!!!!

Then when you don't have the money immediately to hand to give them, they wander off, and start another job elsewhere, still leaving the final bits unfinished!

Ours did thoughtfully leave old craft-knife blades lying about in nearly every room, just in case we felt the need to slash our wrists!
Sounds like they take the pi**. Is there no contract between the contractor and homeowner? If so what about start and finish dates? Any penalties for not completing on time?
How are progress payments made as the work proceeds?
But they cannot say they are going to finish late and then start charging you for accelerating the works.
I would be inclined to get someone else to finish off the works and back charge the buggers.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:05 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Nice to hear you have finally moved in Butch

Is that the start of the snagging list or is there more.
Thats not a lot for a new house mate

Get Mrs C foot taped to the brake pedal

Eddie
Thats just the start.................

We get another 'inspection' at 60 days and then a year and then the drywalling has a 3 year 'warranty' so a lot of things (like a crack in the basement floor and a crack in the garage floor) will be added to future lists.

Again thanks for your good wishes mate.

Hows your luck going with the house sale and getting yer great hairy scot arse over here?

Butch
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:14 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

We get another 'inspection' at 60 days and then a year and then the drywalling has a 3 year 'warranty' so a lot of things (like a crack in the basement floor and a crack in the garage floor) will be added to future lists.

Hows your luck going with the house sale and getting yer great hairy scot arse over here?

Butch
Butch, Willmore was asking the same in the maple leaf

Have loads going on just now with regards house sale etc, so promise to let you all know very very soon

Hairy scots arse really twitching now !!!!

Cheers mate

Eddie
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:15 am

Butch
I'd be keeping a beady eye on that crack in the basement floor. A really, seriously beady eye.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:25 am
Glasgow Rangers

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I'd be keeping a beady eye on that crack in the basement floor. A really, seriously beady eye.
For concrete to crack does that not mean the mix was wrong or it has dried to quickly, hence the whole concrete pour should be condemned !!!!

Sorry to be blunt Butch !!!!

Eddie
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:35 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
For concrete to crack does that not mean the mix was wrong or it has dried to quickly, hence the whole concrete pour should be condemned !!!!

Sorry to be blunt Butch !!!!

Eddie
Its a VERY common occurence here in Calgary (apparently) and according to Alberta New Homes Warranty not worth worrying about YET.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:40 am

Its a VERY common occurence here in Calgary (apparently) and according to Alberta New Homes Warranty not worth worrying about YET.
It is worth worrying about NOW. Sooner or later you will end up with water infiltration in the basement. That is not a good thing. The bill to repair the damage caused by a pinhole leak in my water heater came to $7000. We were not knee-deep in water, I would add.

I don't mean to be a scare monger but don't let anyone brush this under the carpet.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:48 am
Banned

It is worth worrying about NOW. Sooner or later you will end up with water infiltration in the basement. That is not a good thing. The bill to repair the damage caused by a pinhole leak in my water heater came to $7000. We were not knee-deep in water, I would add.

I don't mean to be a scare monger but don't let anyone brush this under the carpet.
Thanks Souv I will (considering the current weather systems) be chasing various parties today. :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:41 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It is worth worrying about NOW. Sooner or later you will end up with water infiltration in the basement. That is not a good thing.
I think you are exactly right, and I wouldn't accept it either.