View Poll Results: Where do you live now, and how does it compare?
I live in a city in Canada and its nothing special
7.77%
I live in a city in Canada and it sucks
0%
I live in a city in Canada and life is better than it was before
22.33%
I live in the country in Canada and its nothing special
1.94%
I live in the country in Canada and it sucks
0%
I live in the country in Canada and life is better than it was before
22.33%
I live in some other country and cant wait to get out
27.18%
I live in some other country and wonder if Canada is any better
9.71%
None of the above
8.74%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

I live in...

Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Post I live in...

Just curious. It seems to me that most of the happy posters that have made the move live in the sticks, and the "same old same old" posters are in the cities.

I just tagged on the UK options so you dont feel left out

Public poll. Very subjective, and you can decide for yourselves if Hicksville NB counts as a city or not within the scope of the poll.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 9th 2006 at 9:08 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in...

Originally Posted by iaink
Just curious. It seems to me that most of the happy posters that have made the move live in the sticks, and the "same old same old" posters are in the cities.

Public poll. Very subjective, and you can decide for yourselves if Hicksville NB counts as a city or not within the scope of the poll.
Ok so lets see if Hangman and myself are the odd ones out????
Is third time lucky living in Hicksville Ontario like Iain and Trish?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

2 guesses how I voted
Piss awful place.
Stuarty
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:55 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still in the UK and fall in the wonder if Canada will be any better group, i hope that we will experience a quality of life change ie: less overtime for OH just to pay the bills, opportunity's for my boys that we can't provide here, but i am realistic, the whole same s**t, shinier bucket etc ! i look on our move to Canada as an opportunity to experience a different country and culture, and am just going to 'go with the flow' (we are hoping to swop a small town here for a small town there)
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Erm
Mr AX are you being truthful in your voting?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Ok so lets see if Hangman and myself are the odd ones out????
I think most on the forum would agree that both Butch and I are probably a bit odd.

I'm not sure it was fair of me to vote considering how long I've been here. But if I cast my mind back to when I left Liverpool and compare it to where I now live I have to believe I am far better off.

I am also very biased in that I think Calgary is the best city bar none to live in Canada but that is a purely subjective thing. Having said that I firmly believe that had I not been moved to Calgary I would be very happy to be living in Edmonton still.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hangman
I think most on the forum would agree that both Butch and I are probably a bit odd.
Very Valid point young man.

From a personal pt of View. My experience of Canada thus far suggests I would have voted similarly if I was in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto or Montreal.
I could also have been equally happy in Banff or Cochrane (but then would have had to use the country option).

All that aside I still think Calgary is the best city (for me) in Canada.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:37 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Interesting, you may have something with this.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see where people lived before too, but I suspect all those options would send your poll into meltdown

I keep seeing comparisons drawn between UK life and life in Canada, and it then transpires the poster has moved from SE England to rural NS or such! I wonder if they could have achieved the same satisfaction moving to a remote part of the UK, as I rarely see anything Canada-specific that has made them happier.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:28 am
Banned

Some interesting ideas of what the country is in Canada
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:33 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for nothing special but i could have equaly voted for better here. As you said it is subjective. Overall we are very happy and much better off but as a place, NS is very nice but certainly no better than the West country in the UK (in many ways, a lot worse)
So there you have it, conclusion, very happy, better off but worse(?) place.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:48 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Some interesting ideas of what the country is in Canada
I see ourselves as living "neither" in the city nor in the country, but feel more countryfied coz of our location in the town we live in. Hence my vote
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by R2D2
I see ourselves as living "neither" in the city nor in the country, but feel more countryfied coz of our location in the town we live in. Hence my vote
But isnt Sherwood Park officially a city???
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"Quinte West" is also officialy a city, but if you look at my photos here, its certainly looks nothing like one.

Its intentionally subjective and left to the voter to decide, really theirs is the only opinion that counts as they are living that particular life.

Mostly we canadian residents seem a contented lot, but I am surprised that noone so far in Canada actively thinks its sucks, regardless of location. Most unlike expats readers!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:41 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Anorak on.

Answer: Nope.

There are sixteen cities in Alberta and Sherwood Park isn't one of them.

Airdrie 27,069
Brooks (became a city effective Sept. 1, 2005) 11,604
Calgary 956,078
Camrose 15,850
Cold Lake 11,595
Edmonton 712,391
Fort Saskatchewan 14,685
Grande Prairie 44,631
Leduc 15,630
Lethbridge 77,202
Lloydminster – Alberta side only 15,487
Medicine Hat 56,048
Red Deer 79,082
Spruce Grove 18,405
St. Albert 56,310
Wetaskiwin 11,154

Here's a link to the 2005 Official Population List a PDF document put out by Alberta Municipal Affairs, Municipal Services Branch.

Anorak off.

Cheers
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.