Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I have been CONNED

I have been CONNED

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: I have been CONNED

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Aha, it's "down on Canada week" for Gezza, changed your mind again?

But back to your statement, preying on the vulnerable and naive who wish to start a new life is unfortunately not a practice limited to Canada.

While $5000 is a lot to lose it's not as tragic as losing ones life:

Morecambe Bay Tragedy
Look, I like Canada and appreciate life is very good there and indeed easily missed (Calgaryblade) But my experiences with the competence in their Public Institutions, their Bank staff, ICBC, car salesmen,not forgetting their financial advisers.. the Lot...! (and these have been widely published on this forum many times) say the same.
Some episodes when I go over them again are quite frankly better than any contrived jokes! Anyway, only this evening I was on the phone to my friend in Toronto (and oldish lady)who told me about the mess her bank made of her pension saving fund, so please do not accuse me of bias. I am simply stating that anyone emigrating from U.K. to Canada needs counciling to temper their expectations.
That's all. ...Happy?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: I have been CONNED

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Aha, it's "down on Canada week" for Gezza, changed your mind again?

But back to your statement, preying on the vulnerable and naive who wish to start a new life is unfortunately not a practice limited to Canada.

While $5000 is a lot to lose it's not as tragic as losing ones life:

Morecambe Bay Tragedy
Another point I need to make. Gezza is also my wife's postings and she loves Canada to bits. So hence the ambivalnce you may have detected.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:35 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have been CONNED

Originally Posted by Gezza
I am simply stating that anyone emigrating from U.K. to Canada needs counciling to temper their expectations.
I totally concur, as early as possible in the process, try to throw away the rose tinted specs and get some clarity/reality contact lenses.

Arrive with all eyes wide open. It's like buying a house, be sure to check for grime and scum under the nicely polished surfaces, try to avoid nasty surprises, see what the neighborhood is like...same principles really.

Rich.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:43 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I totally concur, as early as possible in the process, try to throw away the rose tinted specs and get some clarity/reality contact lenses.

Arrive with all eyes wide open. It's like buying a house, be sure to check for grime and scum under the nicely polished surfaces, try to avoid nasty surprises, see what the neighborhood is like...same principles really.

Rich.

And make sure you have enough money to be able to plaster over the cracks.....
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Guntoo
I had applied for admision at Canadian College of Business & Computers (CCBC) Toronto Canada in last June & had sent them a Cheque for CA$ 5000 demanded by them as advance fee. But I was refused study permit by Can. High Commission. So I requested the refund of my advance fee of $5000 from CCBC. After 3 months they sent me a cheque that I deposited in my bank but after a few days the bank informed me that the cheque had bounced & charged me a penalty for it. I wrote to CCBC about it but to avail no reply. I tried to call them up but again no reply. Now it is going to be four months so far but nothing has happened in my case. They seem to have simply vanished. It looks as if they have pulled a fraud. Please someone tell me how to get my money back & how to set these people right who are giving such a bad name to such a beautiful country.
GUNTOO
In the UK we hold a list of approved colleges and such like, and I would like to think the CAN gov did the same. This is a scam that bogus colleges etc use to get people in to the country by way of paying for the service. It sounds like they have been rumbled. I don't think you stand much chance of seeing the money again. Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt.