Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I hate to ask this but....

I hate to ask this but....

Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default I hate to ask this but....

....we've just been sitting here discussing various things and my hubby asked an interesting question that I certainly don;t knwo the answer to. Are there any 'real' fish and chip shops/restaurants/cafe's in Vancouver???? He's just commented ont he fact he's eating 'no-name' white fish and was wondering about Cod???
There is one in Saskatoon which is absolutely fine although I've never experienced scampi like it (but good anyway) and so the conversation turned.....
Anyone know??
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh crips...

...should have said...in Vancouver.....

oooops
Old Sep 19th 2003, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Don't know about Vancouver but they do a nice cat fish in Nashville! Swore blind that I'd never touch it as we used to have pet cat fish back in the UK - a couple of foot long Channel catfish they were (needed a bloomin' big tank I can tell you!). Cat fish tastes similar to shark which we tried in the UK.

Doesn't really help you in your quest in finding fish shops in Vancouver but I thought I'd chip in - get it, 'chip' in?!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Was in Vancouver this summer and saw one or two in Vancouver but loads in Victoria probably more than I see here in Wiltshire
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

ngoodlad is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't found one yet. There is supposed to be a really good one in Steveston but I'm pretty sure the chips won't be those nice greasy soggy chips we know!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

There is one in Regina and another in Moose Jaw called Joey's Only. They do excellent fish and chips. They also have other fish of the non-fried kind. They are good too.

I will ask my sister who lives in Vancouver. She will know. I think one of her kids used to work in a fish restaurant of some sort.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Bud's Halibut & Chips
1007 Denman St

Last edited by Keith; Oct 1st 2003 at 12:10 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

This is what my sister wrote in response:

There's a place called Mr Pickwicks on 71st and Granville that was really good. I had an idea that it wasn't there any more, but apparently Al says it's still there. I know we went somewhere else recently that had really good halibut and chips - I remember saying that lots of places have more batter than fish, but this place was a big slab of fish - I think it may have been when we were in Victoria. The Cheshire Cheese, on Dunbar and 30th used to be really good, but they have have a new chef and last time we went there and Al had the fish and chips, they didn't look so good to me, but he said they were good(but he's not as fussy as me).
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Sometimes English and Irish pubs serve Fish and Chips. Gives you an excuse to sample all those pubs just in case!!

Mine's a Guiness - cheers
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:11 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I hate to ask this but....

Originally posted by Smokey
....we've just been sitting here discussing various things and my hubby asked an interesting question that I certainly don;t knwo the answer to. Are there any 'real' fish and chip shops/restaurants/cafe's in Vancouver???? He's just commented ont he fact he's eating 'no-name' white fish and was wondering about Cod???
There is one in Saskatoon which is absolutely fine although I've never experienced scampi like it (but good anyway) and so the conversation turned.....
Anyone know??
Yep, White Rock, Deep Cove and Horseshoe bay ....

And if he is in to fish he is going to have such a treat in BC!!

Clare
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: I hate to ask this but....

Originally posted by ClareBC
Yep, White Rock, Deep Cove and Horseshoe bay ....

And if he is in to fish he is going to have such a treat in BC!!

Clare
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, sooner or later we'll try them all. We only have one in Saskatoon where it was touted as 'the best fish and chip shop' in Canada (by ny next door neighbour) and I have to say it was a bit ...erm....disappointing
Roll on my holidays......
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:23 am
Keelie

[Have to chime in here....Steveson is a great place for fishn'chips. Try along the seafront..lots of mom and pop type eateries. Best fish super we've had in years..try alfresco dining on a warm summer day, listen to all the Brit acccents at the next table... they must know something.
QUOTE]Originally posted by ngoodlad
I haven't found one yet. There is supposed to be a really good one in Steveston but I'm pretty sure the chips won't be those nice greasy soggy chips we know! [/QUOTE]