British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   I can't get a job -Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/i-cant-get-job-calgary-603511/)

KJM Apr 14th 2009 9:35 am

Re: I can't get a job -Calgary

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7480291)
Got your resume KJM and passed it onto my colleagues ;)

Browstar

You have certainly put a smile on my face today:) That little bit of hope goes a long way.

Thank you

KJM:)

ann m Apr 14th 2009 9:39 am

Are you actually getting the interviews KJM? Cos I reckon half the battle is actually getting through the door. I only ask in case the resume could be tweaked any more than you have done already?

Very good luck with it all - something, somewhere will come right for you :thumbup:

KJM Apr 14th 2009 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 7480356)
Are you actually getting the interviews KJM? Cos I reckon half the battle is actually getting through the door. I only ask in case the resume could be tweaked any more than you have done already?

Very good luck with it all - something, somewhere will come right for you :thumbup:

Hi Ann,

My resume got me the post at Sait Poly within a month of being here. My resume has been viewed by many professionals so tweaks have been made to certain terminology as and when needed.

I have been told from the top that once I get my 1st touch of Canadian experience then they will be hammering on my door because of my qualifications and experience . It is just finding that break!!!!

Thank you for the good vibes.:)

The Ross Family Apr 14th 2009 11:01 am

Anstar

Pay me enough and I may be up for a cleaning job at this rate!

KJM

Yep even fed up of Holmes' biceps, there must be more to life than Shaw 107?

snoopster Apr 14th 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 7480264)
Hi All

I am sick of watching that short haired ginger man with them muscles on Shaw 107.

Oh I dunno Kat....you know you want him....he's hot!!!:eek: He could come and build me a deck any time!

KJM Apr 14th 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by snoopster (Post 7480571)
Oh I dunno Kat....you know you want him....he's hot!!!:eek: He could come and build me a deck any time!

Hi Snoops

How is things?

What just a deck!!!ha ha

I could help him and then he could give me a job when he starts building houses in Westmount.:)

Brownstar Apr 14th 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 7480349)
Browstar

You have certainly put a smile on my face today:) That little bit of hope goes a long way.

Thank you

I'm glad Kat...............lets hope you get positive news from somewhere soon

Flossie and Jim Apr 14th 2009 1:00 pm

If you're considering temping in the admin field then the agencies that have been recommended most to me in Calgary are Bowen and Mark Staffing. Having said that they only managed to find me one half day of work in four months last summer between them (and that was where I was paid to be a dummy interview candidate for people training to recruit!!!) They did phone me up a few times but the assignments never worked out because the employer wanted something very specific e.g. medical secretary experience, or experience in the University sector.

I think you have to be pretty persistent in the temping arena and once you have managed to get a few (probably quite lowly) assignments under your belt then you seem to get the return business.

The problem with the City of Calgary jobs is getting your foot in the door - its a pretty unionised environment (i.e. most advertised vacancies get taken up by internal union candidates and the external applicants hardly get a look in as a result).

Good luck with the job search!
Flossie

KJM Apr 14th 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim (Post 7480785)
If you're considering temping in the admin field then the agencies that have been recommended most to me in Calgary are Bowen and Mark Staffing. Having said that they only managed to find me one half day of work in four months last summer between them (and that was where I was paid to be a dummy interview candidate for people training to recruit!!!) They did phone me up a few times but the assignments never worked out because the employer wanted something very specific e.g. medical secretary experience, or experience in the University sector.

I think you have to be pretty persistent in the temping arena and once you have managed to get a few (probably quite lowly) assignments under your belt then you seem to get the return business.

The problem with the City of Calgary jobs is getting your foot in the door - its a pretty unionised environment (i.e. most advertised vacancies get taken up by internal union candidates and the external applicants hardly get a look in as a result).

Good luck with the job search!
Flossie

Flossie

Thank you for the admin tip.

C of C.. yes you are spot on....I met someone there a couple of weeks ago and he said the same thing. Well that made my day ....so I went Denny's for comfort food and ended up sick that night and the next day. Ha Ha :)

sand grownun Apr 15th 2009 2:15 am

Hi

This firm has jobs advertised, one is a project manager.

http://www.stuartolson.com/careers.php

KJM Apr 15th 2009 3:04 am

Originally Posted by sand grownun (Post 7482459)
Hi

This firm has jobs advertised, one is a project manager.

http://www.stuartolson.com/careers.php

Hi Sand

Thank you about the link....onto this one just speaking with inside contact.:)

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR INPUT:)