I am making the Big Move!!

I am making the Big Move!!

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

jazzyjeff7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am making the Big Move!!

Vancouver Here I come!!
The tickets are booked 21st August woohoo

I have booked it for a return but don't expect to come back to the UK....Only after I secure a Job I will come back and just sell my car here and that's it!!

All my family are waiting and my Basement is ready and my Dad has just got my car ready for me? How long can I drive on My British License ?

So Now all I have to do is find a job!! Within 6 months or else I will have to come back

Last Year I applied to a job and the company asked for a Work Permit and I was like I have not got one and she said I need one first!!

So how does one get a Work Permit without a Job Offer???

Cant see this in the Wiki?

And also when does one apply for SIN once the job is finalized ?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am making the Big Move!!

Originally Posted by jazzyjeff7
Vancouver Here I come!!

I have booked it for a return but don't expect to come back to the UK....Only after I secure a Job I will come back and just sell my car here and that's it!!

All my family are waiting and my Basement is ready and my Dad has just got my car ready for me? How long can I drive on My British License ?

So Now all I have to do is find a job!! Within 6 months or else I will have to come back

Last Year I applied to a job and the company asked for a Work Permit and I was like I have not got one and she said I need one first!!

You are coming as visitor or do you already hold residency status?

A job offer is not enough to get a WP. Cannot get a work permit without an employer getting an LMO approved by HRSDC.

You cannot get a social insurance number without residency status, such as holding a WP or PR.

Presumably you have medical insurance sorted. If you are not on vacation a travel policy may not cover you. Check with your insurer.

UK license limit is 90 days for residents. Don't know of a limit for visitors.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You say you've got to come back after six months if you haven't found a job, so does that mean you're going on a visitor visa??

If so, I can't see how you won't be returning to the UK. First you need to find a job from an employer that is prepared to apply for a Labour Market Opinion for you (for which they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job). The LMO can take up to six months to obtain. Only after all that can you apply for a Temp Work Permit - and bear in mind there are people on this forum who have been looking for a year or two, the current economic climate is not exactly great for job hunting when you require the extra paperwork and hassle of a LMO with so many Canadians out of work.

If you are planning on going on a visitor visa, remember it's up to six months entry for a UKC, but if they suspect you're trying to stay longer they can refuse you or give you much less. So don't turn up with all your worldly possessions whatever you do!

And there are ways to get a work permit without a LMO, if you are under 30 you can get a Bunac visa, or if you are married to somebody on a TWP or study permit you can get an open work permit. But as they don't seem to apply to you (at least I assume not or you'd have gone down that route as they're much easier), you've got no option but to go the job offer/LMO route.

Good luck.

Edit: have just looked at a couple of your previous posts and seen that you are married to a biologist, are you aware that that's one of the new occupations on the Skilled Worker list? So maybe you could apply for PR that way?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 3rd 2010 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You say you've got to come back after six months if you haven't found a job, so does that mean you're going on a visitor visa??

If so, I can't see how you won't be returning to the UK. First you need to find a job from an employer that is prepared to apply for a Labour Market Opinion for you (for which they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job). The LMO can take up to six months to obtain. Only after all that can you apply for a Temp Work Permit - and bear in mind there are people on this forum who have been looking for a year or two, the current economic climate is not exactly great for job hunting when you require the extra paperwork and hassle of a LMO with so many Canadians out of work.

If you are planning on going on a visitor visa, remember it's up to six months entry for a UKC, but if they suspect you're trying to stay longer they can refuse you or give you much less. So don't turn up with all your worldly possessions whatever you do!

And there are ways to get a work permit without a LMO, if you are under 30 you can get a Bunac visa, or if you are married to somebody on a TWP or study permit you can get an open work permit. But as they don't seem to apply to you (at least I assume not or you'd have gone down that route as they're much easier), you've got no option but to go the job offer/LMO route.

Good luck.

Edit: have just looked at a couple of your previous posts and seen that you are married to a biologist, are you aware that that's one of the new occupations on the Skilled Worker list? So maybe you could apply for PR that way?
Hey Thanks for the reply very fast indeed!!

Well I didn't know I had to apply for a visitors visa from the UK? its more like a Job hunting trip for a period of six months or less!!

Oh yah I was married but not anymore!! so that leaves the skilled worker option in the rubbish skip.

I am under 25 so I am thinking of applying for Bunac in Canada!! Has anyone done this? otherwise I will have to apply for work and do the whole LMO process but I had no issues last year finding work since I am in the IT field.. but I had to return since I had issues in the UK which are now solved.

I am only taking clothes and that's all!! Once I get a TWP I will return to put the car on sale and house on rent!!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Thanks for the reply very fast indeed!!

Well I didn't know I had to apply for a visitors visa from the UK? its more like a Job hunting trip for a period of six months or less!!

Oh yah I was married but not anymore!! so that leaves the skilled worker option in the rubbish skip.

I am under 25 so I am thinking of applying for Bunac in Canada!! Has anyone done this? otherwise I will have to apply for work and do the whole LMO process but I had no issues last year finding work since I am in the IT field.. but I had to return since I had issues in the UK which are now solved.

I am only taking clothes and that's all!! Once I get a TWP I will return to put the car on sale and house on rent!!
You don't have to apply for a visitor visa before you go, you'll probably get given entry when you arrive in Canada, but it can be for less than 6 months so don't automatically assume you'll get that amount of time.

If you get a Bunac visa (which I believe you have to be in the UK to apply for btw) then you don't need the LMO etc, so that's a much better option and employers will find you much more attractive (in a working sense obviously ) as you'll have an open work permit and won't have to be 'sponsored'. You can apply for a Bunac visa in December when the program opens again, and then enter Canada from Feb next year on that visa.

I'd double check your assumptions about having 'no problems finding work because you are in the IT field' though - the Skilled Worker list no longer has any IT related occupations on it (meaning they are not in demand) and the LMO exempt IT program is ending in September (so again, meaning IT is not in demand as it once was). But if you do a quick search of the forum you'll find lots of previous threads about IT work in Canada.

Sorry to hear about your marriage btw.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You don't have to apply for a visitor visa before you go, you'll probably get given entry when you arrive in Canada, but it can be for less than 6 months so don't automatically assume you'll get that amount of time.

If you get a Bunac visa (which I believe you have to be in the UK to apply for btw) then you don't need the LMO etc, so that's a much better option and employers will find you much more attractive (in a working sense obviously ) as you'll have an open work permit and won't have to be 'sponsored'. You can apply for a Bunac visa in December when the program opens again, and then enter Canada from Feb next year on that visa.

I'd double check your assumptions about having 'no problems finding work because you are in the IT field' though - the Skilled Worker list no longer has any IT related occupations on it (meaning they are not in demand) and the LMO exempt IT program is ending in September (so again, meaning IT is not in demand as it once was). But if you do a quick search of the forum you'll find lots of previous threads about IT work in Canada.

Sorry to hear about your marriage btw.

Marriage was never for me!! I just need my Family now being here alone is tearing me apart.

Anyways so My plan is to go and see if I get any luck with finding a job if not return in December and apply to Bunac and then go back in Feb.

I have emailed Bunac the situation so fingers crossed. I think this is the wise idea!! what do you think?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
UK license limit is 90 days for residents. Don't know of a limit for visitors.
It's 6 mos for visitors I believe.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

redrunner2 is an unknown quantity at this point

think carefully mate, l have a job offer for 80k/annum in BC, valid LMO, clean police record, registered with a professional body in Canada and all l needed is a temporary work permit(normally takes 6 wks in london) but 3 months on the consulate wont take any calls from anyone and cant be bothered to reply emails. if they are giving me a hard time when l have a straight forward case then l would brace myself if l was you. you need to think this through carefully especially now the IT is one of the professions that have been hit by the new immigration rules. good luck though and if you get to the point where you need for a TWP avoid the london office. l hope it works out for you
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver Here I come!!

Enjoy your holiday
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by redrunner2
think carefully mate, l have a job offer for 80k/annum in BC, valid LMO, clean police record, registered with a professional body in Canada and all l needed is a temporary work permit(normally takes 6 wks in london) but 3 months on the consulate wont take any calls from anyone and cant be bothered to reply emails. if they are giving me a hard time when l have a straight forward case then l would brace myself if l was you. you need to think this through carefully especially now the IT is one of the professions that have been hit by the new immigration rules. good luck though and if you get to the point where you need for a TWP avoid the london office. l hope it works out for you
The OP could just apply for his TWP at Port of Entry though, which is instant. No need to apply for it by post and wait for weeks on end.

That's if he manages to get a job offer & LMO though, which will be the tricky bit!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:23 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redrunner2
think carefully mate, l have a job offer for 80k/annum in BC, valid LMO, clean police record, registered with a professional body in Canada and all l needed is a temporary work permit(normally takes 6 wks in london) but 3 months on the consulate wont take any calls from anyone and cant be bothered to reply emails. if they are giving me a hard time when l have a straight forward case then l would brace myself if l was you.
Not sure why you haven't flown over to B.C and got tWP at the point of entry instead of waiting 3 months here. If you have all the stuff like an LMO, it should not be a problem.;
(Taken from the Wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:_...o_apply-Canada)

Applying at port of entry

This is the most common way to apply for a TWP.
[edit]Eligibility
You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada if:
You do not need a medical examination,
You do not need a temporary resident visa to visit Canada, and
You have a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) in hand or your job does not need an LMO.

[edit]Risk
Although you technically are permitted to apply for a TWP at a Canadian port of entry (POE) if you meet the above mentioned requirements, the reality is that it is risky for a primary applicant to apply for a TWP at a POE. If a single document is missing, if the immigration officer at the POE doubts that your job really doesn't need an LMO, or if any one of a number of glitches occurs, you, your spouse, and your children will be forced to fly back to the UK without entering Canada.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:07 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

...So Now all I have to do is find a job!! Within 6 months or else I will have to come back...So how does one get a Work Permit without a Job Offer???
...Anyways so My plan is to go and see if I get any luck with finding a job if not return in December and apply to Bunac and then go back in Feb.
Originally Posted by helcat12
Not sure why you haven't flown over to B.C and got tWP at the point of entry instead of waiting 3 months here. If you have all the stuff like an LMO, it should not be a problem
He answered that in pretty much all of his posts
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:13 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
He answered that in pretty much all of his posts
KEEP UP, el-richo!
If you read the quote,
I was replying to redrunner2!
He has all the stuff and is waiting for London to process his TWP.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:32 am
Beep

Originally Posted by helcat12
KEEP UP, el-richo!
If you read the quote,
I was replying to redrunner2!
He has all the stuff and is waiting for London to process his TWP.

I need a coffee
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:34 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by el_richo

I need a coffee
Stick a large Brandy in it - if it isn't a help, it can be a good excuse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.