Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

i am Loving Canada today too- Organic Foods

i am Loving Canada today too- Organic Foods

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: i am Loving Canada today too- Organic Foods

Originally Posted by wizzard
It's illegal in the UK as well, hence the recall. the manufacturer of the product that contained the Sudan I was supposed to certify that the chemical wasn't in the food and did a bad job of it. Food recall are a common thing. The problem here though was that the core product contaminated by the Sudan I was used in so many own brand products in supermarkets so it affected a lot of items.

If you want to see info on recalls and warnings on stuff in Canada you can see it at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...ecaltoce.shtml

Drew
Thanks for the link *VBS*~
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:27 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Anybody know what Calgary tastes are like?
When I lived in Calgary I was addicted to Ukrainian food - cabbage rolls, pyrogies, borst (and my dad's spinach manicotti) - but it's been 20 years ... I have no idea nowadays. I suspect (hope!) there are still great sources for Ukrainian food though -- if you see an advert for a Ukrainian dinner at a Ukrainian church, go! Very cheesy setup with paper plates and all but the food and people are the best!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
When I lived in Calgary I was addicted to Ukrainian food - cabbage rolls, pyrogies, borst (and my dad's spinach manicotti) - but it's been 20 years ... I have no idea nowadays. I suspect (hope!) there are still great sources for Ukrainian food though -- if you see an advert for a Ukrainian dinner at a Ukrainian church, go! Very cheesy setup with paper plates and all but the food and people are the best!
OMG Hot wasabi peas....why oh why did you have to mention cabbage rolls and pyrogies????????? I have been looooonging for them for weeks now!!!!!! Oh what I wouldn't do for some right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the Pyrogy House in Edmonton is still open!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
OMG Hot wasabi peas....why oh why did you have to mention cabbage rolls and pyrogies????????? I have been looooonging for them for weeks now!!!!!! Oh what I wouldn't do for some right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the Pyrogy House in Edmonton is still open!!!
Sorry!

Yes! It's a hard craving to endure in the UK as pyrogies are bascially unheard of here, aren't they? -- cabbage rolls and borst I can make but pyrogies - I don't have the skill or patience unfortunately! It seems like a food Brits would love to me. I can't understand why they are not popular in the UK! They're sooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood! Onion butter, mmmmmm.....
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Sorry!

Yes! It's a hard craving to endure in the UK as pyrogies are bascially unheard of here, aren't they? -- cabbage rolls and borst I can make but pyrogies - I don't have the skill or patience unfortunately! It seems like a food Brits would love to me. I can't understand why they are not popular in the UK! They're sooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood! Onion butter, mmmmmm.....
Sour cream....oh yes! I do have a recipe for pyrogies if you need one...I have made them a couple times...but it's just not the same

Borscht...do you make the beet one or the cabbage one?...I'm a fan of the cabbage one.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Sorry!

What you need is to have a polish grandmother who made her own....delicious.......
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:08 am

Sour cream....oh yes! I do have a recipe for pyrogies if you need one...I have made them a couple times...but it's just not the same

Borscht...do you make the beet one or the cabbage one?...I'm a fan of the cabbage one.
BorsCHt! I knew the way I was spelling it looked wrong! I've only made the beet one. I like the cabbage one too but I've never made it. I'd love that pyrogy recipe please! That is if willmore can't spare her Polish grandmother.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

BorsCHt! I knew the way I was spelling it looked wrong! I've only made the beet one. I like the cabbage one too but I've never made it. I'd love that pyrogy recipe please! That is if willmore can't spare her Polish grandmother.
Might be a little hard to bring her back from the grave.....died at the age of 99....a few years ago.

If you seriously want the recipe though, I can ask my mom as she taught her how to make them. I think though that the secret for my grandmother's success....is frying them on a woodstove in bacon fat......let me know....
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by willmore
Might be a little hard to bring her back from the grave.....died at the age of 99....a few years ago.

If you seriously want the recipe though, I can ask my mom as she taught her how to make them. I think though that the secret for my grandmother's success....is frying them on a woodstove in bacon fat......let me know....
Wow, long life! Pyrogy power I bet. It's sad though that grandparents (and all their wisdom) die while we grandkids are still so relatively young and green.

If it's no bother - the recipe would be very much appreciated. I believe the woodstove secret. For a while we lived in a house that only had a woodstove (no hydro ) - everything was made on it. The food was always deeelicious!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Probably not as good as Willmores grandmothers recipe...but in the mean time try this
http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Misc...us/Pyrogy.html I used this recipe at christmas time...and they were very good. Happy cooking!

Oh I 'm not sure if you've ever eaten them this way...but fry them in butter and onioins and just at the end add some cream....heat just to warm....fattening....but very very good!

Last edited by dawnwynne; Feb 24th 2005 at 11:48 am.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:37 pm
Fabulous Member

CasaSemanas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
WOW 9 different tofus. hmmm am not sure i have counted that many before. And i imagine you are right. In Australia it was very much the same. I moved from one area to a large city and found it difficult to purchase soy products! let alone organic foods and if they were available they were expensive.
At present I am in the Okanagan Region in BC. Plenty of orchards etc around me, i am told i am in for a sensory treat when they bloom in Spring.
Tho i must also note i am surprised how many fruit and vegies are available considering it is Winter.
That sounds good! My partner and I are vegetarians and buy as much organic stuff as possible. We bought a house in Penticton and were hoping that the rumors of organic produce availability were true. Are you liking the Okanagan? Are you near Penticton? Have you swum in the lake?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hello ! i would love a copy of that recipe for Perogies. *S*

And also yesterday whilst shopping I found a natural foods store supermarket.
Not only lots of great foods and natural products available, But also lots of people in there purchasing. We have health food stores back in Australia of course. But by comparison they are more expensive and not many people shop in them, for that reason.
I have a friend back in Oz land and her and i would always comment how it is expensive to be healthy~. I am just about to send her an email with the good news about, the cheaper cost of natural and healthier foods in Canada.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CasaSemanas
That sounds good! My partner and I are vegetarians and buy as much organic stuff as possible. We bought a house in Penticton and were hoping that the rumors of organic produce availability were true. Are you liking the Okanagan? Are you near Penticton? Have you swum in the lake?
Hello!
I am about 20mins or so from Penticton. My partner travels there with his work once a week. I have been there once, it is a pretty place. I haven't shopped there, but i presume it wouldn't be much different as it seems to me there is lots of fresh produce available in this area.

I have been back here for a week after being away for 6 months, and already i am being reminded why i loved it here so much on my first visit. I posted a new thread yesterday but it got lost in cyber land somehow...LOL..so will re-post this morning.

It is CoLd here so NO i haven't swum in the lake. We are planning on lots of camping and hiking through the warmer weather and yes lots of swimming.
When are you coming here? Bet you are excited!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:19 pm
Fabulous Member

CasaSemanas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Hello!
I am about 20mins or so from Penticton. My partner travels there with his work once a week. I have been there once, it is a pretty place. I haven't shopped there, but i presume it wouldn't be much different as it seems to me there is lots of fresh produce available in this area.

I have been back here for a week after being away for 6 months, and already i am being reminded why i loved it here so much on my first visit. I posted a new thread yesterday but it got lost in cyber land somehow...LOL..so will re-post this morning.

It is CoLd here so NO i haven't swum in the lake. We are planning on lots of camping and hiking through the warmer weather and yes lots of swimming.
When are you coming here? Bet you are excited!
Yes, excited is a mild term. We're planning to move in July. Of course it depends on our PR status at the time. Our house is at the northeast end of Penticton, on the way to Naramata at Three Mile Beach. I have a vision of myself doing a lot of rowing on the lake... time will tell.

Where are you that is 20 minutes away from Penticton and has a natural foods supermarket? We've stopped at Penticton Whole Foods Market
http://www.pentictonwholefoods.com/
and think it's going to be quite satisfactory for our needs, similar to a local natural foods store we patronize here in Colorado, but certainly not a "supermarket". The Penticon Safeway has some items too. We turn our heads away when we drive by the Wal-Mart. There's a vegetarian group, but from the web it looks to be mostly about Kelowna. Sometimes I imagine myself hawking veggie burritos on the beach in the summer, or just giving them away in some sort of hippie regression trance.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CasaSemanas
Yes, excited is a mild term. We're planning to move in July. Of course it depends on our PR status at the time. Our house is at the northeast end of Penticton, on the way to Naramata at Three Mile Beach. I have a vision of myself doing a lot of rowing on the lake... time will tell.

Where are you that is 20 minutes away from Penticton and has a natural foods supermarket? We've stopped at Penticton Whole Foods Market
http://www.pentictonwholefoods.com/
and think it's going to be quite satisfactory for our needs, similar to a local natural foods store we patronize here in Colorado, but certainly not a "supermarket". The Penticon Safeway has some items too. We turn our heads away when we drive by the Wal-Mart. There's a vegetarian group, but from the web it looks to be mostly about Kelowna. Sometimes I imagine myself hawking veggie burritos on the beach in the summer, or just giving them away in some sort of hippie regression trance.
Ok you have me curious as to why you turn your head at Wal-Mart..LOL....i have been there..not for grocery shopping tho. And then again it seems similiar to K-mart which is very popular in Australia but not for me. So i spose as time goes by i will find my shops.
You sound like my kinda person, i was fortunate to live in Byron Bay in Australia up till recently. Very diverse and spiritualy minded area of Oz. A lot of people see it as a drug haven, but that simply isn't true. I was involved with some meditation groups there and miss them, also the colour, even in witner people still wore coloured winter clothing and the foodsss..ahh the aromas..and the music....loved the music..everywhere i went..you would hear..drumming..or pipe music....something..anything...LOL..wow i am talking myself into wanting to go back.....*G*...i still need to find my tribe here yet..but it will come.
The shop i am talking about is Natures Fare Natural Foods. It isn't overly big as far as supermarkets go, but it is the biggest health food store i have seen. And also it had a organics coffee and juice section. So you can sit and relax and enjoy a coffee etc whilst shopping....*Big Smile*..i love that..is a great way to meet other people.
I have only been back here a week and still finding my way around.
i just checked out that link above..i am IMPRESSED...>

Food Science B12 1000 mcg 100 tablets 14.98
Now that is a bargain..i payed way way much more for them back in Oz.

And where is this vegetarian group in Kelowna. As that is where i am and where the shop Natures Fare is at. Am happy to have met a like minded person. *S*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.