Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I’m really frustrated!, I love Canada but it seems to dislike me!

I’m really frustrated!, I love Canada but it seems to dislike me!

Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

johnnyk.kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I’m really frustrated!, I love Canada but it seems to dislike me!

I’m looking for the easiest, quickest, cheapest way in order to secure my stay in Canada for ever! but everything seems to be going against me!

SKILLED ROUTE
A bit about me. More or less single, Irish, 28 years old working in IT living in Europe and my occupation is on the NOC list but I am short of 5 points to make the 67 in order to go down the skilled route.

BUNAC/USIT/12 MONTH WORKING HOLIDAY
Originally I was going to apply for a 12 month working holiday visa that would have given me the 5 points badly needed and allowed me to live in Canada for starters too or could have applied for a PNP when working there but Canadian immigration changed the requirement for Usit equiv to Bunac stating the following:

“Be an Irish passport holder and ordinarily resident within the 32 counties of Ireland. You cannot have resided outside of Ireland for more than a total duration that exceeds 4 years since turning 18”

I have resided outside Ireland for more than 4 years and therefore I am unable to apply.

I cant apply to Bunac as you need to hold a British passport!

So what is left for me? I have over 10 years in IT! I don’t want to be moving to Canada when I am 40.

What about.......... Federal skilled application based on substituted evaluation that I will have the ability to become economically established upon immigration to Canada because of my circumstances and history...professional history?

Anyones help is really appreciated....what about studying in Canada? How much is this? I want to live in Toronto. I’m happy to do distance learning but to study full time would be difficult as I need some sort of income!

I'm desperate as I want to be there!!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I’m really frustrated!, I love Canada but it seems to dislike me!

Originally Posted by johnnyk.kennedy
So what is left for me? I have over 10 years in IT! I don’t want to be moving to Canada when I am 40.
Lots of people have immigrated at 40'ish. They were not over the hill.

What about.......... Federal skilled application based on substituted evaluation that I will have the ability to become economically established upon immigration to Canada because of my circumstances and history...professional history?
What about it?

what about studying in Canada? How much is this? I want to live in Toronto. I’m happy to do distance learning but to study full time would be difficult as I need some sort of income!
You have to be in full time education to get a study permit and are restricted where you can work. International student fees are not cheap either.

You could try for a TWP if an employer will offer you a job and apply for the LMO. They are harder to get these days though.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Lots of people have immigrated at 40'ish. They were not over the hill.

I know, but I cant do anything when I know my future is in Canada.

What about it?

How does one go down that route? I read articles when people who have 80 points get refused! Can you still apply even if you hit 62 because of my professional history? and that I have always been employed. Proven ability to live and work in countries, sort himself out etc

You have to be in full time education to get a study permit and are restricted where you can work. International student fees are not cheap either.

You could try for a TWP if an employer will offer you a job and apply for the LMO. They are harder to get these days though.
I know but seems close to impossible in obtaining.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:47 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

I think these guys are working in IT. I know it's St John's and not Toronto, but they might be able to give you some pointers.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650019
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

orange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura about

Have you looked at or are you aware of little known (more like secret) Information Technology Workers Program?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/work/special-tech.asp

Does your occupation fall under any those listed?

1. Senior Animation Effects Editor (NOC 9990.1)
2. Embedded Systems Software Designer (NOC 9990.2)
3. MIS Software Designer (NOC 9990.3)
4. Multimedia Software Developer (NOC 9990.4)
5. Software Developer—Services (NOC 9990.5)
6. Software Products Developer (NOC 9990.6)
7. Telecommunications Software Designer (NOC 9990.7)

A prospective employer does not need an LMO for any of the occupations listed. The HRSDC has issued a National Confirmation letter in lieu of an LMO. Surely your skills could match some of those on the list, check out the link.

The process goes like this:

Employer offers you a job and sends you a contract and offer of employment based upon the occupations listed. You gather relevant supporting documents, travel documents, resumes, work history, reference letters from former employers, copy of qualifications, copy of degrees etc., enough to make a case for your TWP. Get yourself on a plane, train or automobile to your nearest POE and get the TWP issued there and then. Probably one of the easiest ways to get into Canada if you have the relevant skills.

I've had a number of these work permits and I'm now applying for PR through the Canadian Experience Class.

Last edited by orange247; Jan 26th 2010 at 8:09 am.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You know, there is a lot of unfairness regarding Youth Mobility visas, Bunac costs the best part of £400 and requires a lot of paperwork and messing around, plus you need to be resident in the UK when you apply where as my girlfriend could apply for hers whilst in a foreign land and just needed to pay the CIC processing cost.

The rules on Irish citizens do seem unduly harsh though, possibly even worse than they are for us Brits I think.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:02 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You know, there is a lot of unfairness regarding Youth Mobility visas, Bunac costs the best part of £400 and requires a lot of paperwork and messing around,

Hardly much paperwork to be honest, the PR form requires all that and more and cost a hell of a lot more than £400. When I did the forms in 2005 for PR you had to have all your employment contracts for the last X years (might have been 5 or 10) photocopied and notorised.

To the OP, doing a(nother) degree might boost your points or learning French, neither easy or cheap but doable. If you've lived in the UK for 5 years you could always apply for a UK passport then try Bunac that way (apparently according to a website I googled you can get UK and Irish citizenship concurrently).

Last edited by SirTainly; Jan 26th 2010 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You can have dual UK and Irish citizenship, a guy I used to work with had it although for some reason he had also never held a passport in his adult life.

I understand that instant PR will obviously cost a lot more but at least the requirements are the same across the board and if you really want it then it will pay back three-fold over where as a YMS visa is really only designed for a year and the process seems to differ greatly dependant upon where you were born.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:04 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
and the process seems to differ greatly dependant upon where you were born.

This is true, the case used to be that the equivalent Canadian scheme gave people 2 years in the UK.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The Japanese programme (for UK citizens) only costs £6 for application but you need to provide a letter explaining exactly what you plan on doing whilst you're there and they don't really like people working in the same job for too long, which is understandable really I suppose. I honestly cannot be the only person to wish that ACPO certificates did not exist though.

I think the old UK system allowed one year of work and one extra year of tourist leave, the Australians did the same thing and you could go back as a tourist again but only have one work permit under the scheme in a lifetime.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

another 2 questions:

can i get the extra 5 points if my girlfriend decides to move to canada with me, though she lives in asia at the moment. we are trying to sort out first if we can be together or not.

she only has a degree/masters in economics

can i claim british citzenship if my mother holds a british passport, because she was born before 1949 as anyone in ireland can claim british citizenship if born before that year. also her father was british as well.

thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:33 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

another 2 questions:

can i get the extra 5 points if my girlfriend decides to move to canada with me, though she lives in asia at the moment. we are trying to sort out first if we can be together or not.

she only has a degree/masters in economics

can i claim british citzenship if my mother holds a british passport, because she was born before 1949 as anyone in ireland can claim british citizenship if born before that year. also her father was british as well.

thanks!
1) Not until you get common-law status you cant
2) Yes
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
1) Not until you get common-law status you cant
2) Yes
for my second question are you sure? on what basis? though my mum wasnt born in ireland.

i will phone UK immigration tomororw.

how does one get common law status? whats the process?

many thanks
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

for my second question are you sure? on what basis? though my mum wasnt born in ireland.

i will phone UK immigration tomororw.

how does one get common law status? whats the process?

many thanks
for common law see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage#Canada

For passport see
http://britishembassyinireland.fco.g...t-do-i-qualify
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

orange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura about

To the OP,

I really can't see why you are intent on going down the PR route immediately.

You state that you have 10 years IT experience, those kind of skills are in demand right now in Canada. You have no major family commitments as you state, why don't you just go looking for a job in your field in Canada? It might take a few months but with a decade of experience, an IT job that qualifies under the IT Workers Program should not be hard to come by surely? Total cost to you, a few resumes mailed and a $150 fee for your work permit.

As for the BUNAC, easy way to get your foot in the door but there is no garauntee of a job when you come over on one. I've known too many people come over on those and struggle to get work in their field, they end up leaving usually.

It took me just under a year from mailing out my first resumes and waiting for responses to end up in a position in Vancouver. In fact the company I now work for sat on my application for over nine months until a position came up. When they did eventually contact me it was less than three months from interview to actually living and working in Vancouver on an IT worker TWP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.