Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Humidity and house solutions

Humidity and house solutions

Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Humidity and house solutions

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Thanks for the info everyone

Last week when it was quite hot here in NS the house was lively and cool, no problems, its just been today when it has been really stormy in Halifax area and although we didnt get it here, 40 mins away, we seemed to have the storm in the air feeling all day and we have been left with condensation all round the house.

I will keep researching options
I think you should buy at least one good quality dehumidifier before condensation starts damaging your home.....

Last edited by geedee; Jun 24th 2009 at 2:41 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:24 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
I think you should buy a least one good quality dehumidifier before condensation starts damaging your home.....
I am off to the shop tomorrow thanks
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Hi Nikki welcome to NS glad to see you are settling in.

A Dehumidifier works, we dont have one yet but we are considering it, someone mentioned ceiling fans these are fairly cheep ive seen them as low as $50, and they do cool you down, we have one in the bedroom and its a godsend in the hight of summer, if you have a split entry open plan consider putting one in an area where it pushes hot air high on the ceiling down into the lower level, this is good in the winter when its generally cool in the lower level. Other methods involve a pool in the back garden when it all becomes too much and you need to cool off fast.

Air conditioning is good, I hear a heat pump can be used for air conditioning, and they are supposed to be the most energy efficient heating/cooling system going.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:39 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about geothermal there, this is true, plus the government will give you a few thousand dollars for installing one. Still will probably set you back at least $15k though and they might do a lot of digging or drilling in your land.

Definitely worth looking at if you have heating ducts already installed and have high oil/air con related costs.

Originally Posted by Snort
I hear a heat pump can be used for air conditioning, and they are supposed to be the most energy efficient heating/cooling system going.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Is air-con in homes less popular in Atlantic Canada? It seems most houses have it in Ontario...

Seems to me like you need Air-con. Of all the people I know in North America, they all have air-con in their homes. Not good for the environment, obviously, but there you go...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:29 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get as hot as eg Ontario which can reach into the 40Cs during the summer. We hit into the 30Cs though. We also get a bit of a breeze where we are but still, it's the humidity that needs to be controlled in the home - your clothes can feel damp in the closet and even your bedding feels damp when you go to bed.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:38 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Is air-con in homes less popular in Atlantic Canada? It seems most houses have it in Ontario...

Seems to me like you need Air-con. Of all the people I know in North America, they all have air-con in their homes. Not good for the environment, obviously, but there you go...
Very rare in Newfoundland with the exception being those people who have a heat pump system. But not needed. One of the joys of living here is it never really gets that hot, nor that cold. On those days it is sticky we use the ceiling fan in the bedroom to keep cool at night and hang in the basement during the day when needed. I look forward to summer and lower energy costs unlike you mainlanders.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I look forward to summer and lower energy costs unlike you mainlanders.
Not all mainlanders. We don't have airconditioning and we didn't in the previous house, it's not common in older urban houses.

One neighbour on that street had a machine installed. I absolutely hated it, it ran 23 hours a day, rattling and clanking and generally being a bother to everyone. If I'd wanted to hear droning machinery all day and night I'd have moved to a suburb or into a factory. Bloody unhyphenated people, doncha hate them?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

I suppose the newer, well serviced, units are a lot less intrusive. A friend in central Toronto has a window installed unit in the living room of the apartment. It is old, and a little clunky, but I took the extra noise over the heat for the few days I slept on the sofa there a couple of years back...

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not all mainlanders. We don't have airconditioning and we didn't in the previous house, it's not common in older urban houses.

One neighbour on that street had a machine installed. I absolutely hated it, it ran 23 hours a day, rattling and clanking and generally being a bother to everyone. If I'd wanted to hear droning machinery all day and night I'd have moved to a suburb or into a factory. Bloody unhyphenated people, doncha hate them?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The people two houses away from us set their AC at 22 c and leave all windows closed.....I'm sure they have huge bills and little fresh air in the house. They are, predictably unhyphenated.

AC is better at taking the humidity out of the air which is quite important in some parts of Canada.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:22 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The people two houses away from us set their AC at 22 c and leave all windows closed.....I'm sure they have huge bills and little fresh air in the house. They are, predictably unhyphenated.

AC is better at taking the humidity out of the air which is quite important in some parts of Canada.
There is little point in having A/C if you don't have the windows closed. What does "predicably unhyphenated" mean ? When I lived in Ontario we kept the temp at 25 C. It was a central unit, mounted in the plenum. No bother. There is air circulation, through the ductwork, Life would be a little uncomfortable in most parts of Ontario without A/C I can tell you. it is not so common in the Maritimes because, believe it or not, the humidity is much less as is the temperature. It's to do with the continental land mass.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
What does "predicably unhyphenated" mean ?
One of the problems of life in Ontario is that, without effort, one cannot completely avoid the unhyphenated. They have some curious ethnic behaviours, among them an obsession with things related to coldness. This fixation includes the unnecessary chilling of their abodes from which spins the need to keep windows and curtains closed. You will note that whenever one of those people involved in ice hockey appears on the television he or she has the pasty complexion one otherwise associates with rent boys and members of the Libertines. Thus, when one encounters frigidity one may reasonable expect that the unhyphenated are somehow involved.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

There is little point in having A/C if you don't have the windows closed. What does "predicably unhyphenated" mean ? When I lived in Ontario we kept the temp at 25 C. It was a central unit, mounted in the plenum. No bother. There is air circulation, through the ductwork, Life would be a little uncomfortable in most parts of Ontario without A/C I can tell you. it is not so common in the Maritimes because, believe it or not, the humidity is much less as is the temperature. It's to do with the continental land mass.
Having AC and keeping the windows closed do go hand in hand....what I meant is that their windows are never open and they just go from heating season to AC season w/o getting fresh air in the house.

Unhyphenated is a term used on this board by some posters to refer to those people in Canada whose ancestors have been here for generations upon generations and have no ties to other places or cultures. Some posters look down on them.....think Bob and Doug in the worst case example.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:46 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems of life in Ontario is that, without effort, one cannot completely avoid the unhyphenated. They have some curious ethnic behaviours, among them an obsession with things related to coldness. This fixation includes the unnecessary chilling of their abodes from which spins the need to keep windows and curtains closed. You will note that whenever one of those people involved in ice hockey appears on the television he or she has the pasty complexion one otherwise associates with rent boys and members of the Libertines[/COLOR]. Thus, when one encounters frigidity one may reasonable expect that the unhyphenated are somehow involved.
Would that include that Don Cherry character ? LOL
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Would that include that Don Cherry character ? LOL
I think he's more "chicken hawk" than "rent boy". His outfits wouldn't have looked out of place on Danny LaRue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.