Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HSBC specific questions

HSBC specific questions

Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:11 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC specific questions

Originally Posted by Rich_London
I've just got my Advance account card and cheque books through the post in the UK, they said they wouldn't do a credit card until i had a fixed address in Canada which we wont have until March. Has anyone managed to get the cc sorted out without an address?

Also, my main account in the UK is First Direct, i have an HSBC current account but dont really use it. Either way the First Direct account seemed ok for them to open me up the advance in Canada however i dont see my UK HSBC account on Global view.... I assume to get the "free" transfer option (up to christmas they say) i need to transfer from HSBC UK to HSBC Canada not First Direct UK to HSBC Canada? Does my UK HSBC need to be anything other than an normal current account to show up in Global view?
You will see all your UK and Canadian accounts in Global view.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
They won't do anything until I land, which is the downside. Lodging a security is a new one for me though - in the UK, you either get a card or you don't; as a new immigrant with zero credit score, am I likely to be requested to lodge a security to get ANY card? What are the collective experiences here?
The way it works with some companies is that to get a credit card with a credit limit of say $1000, you have to deposit $1000 with them for a year. After a year you get this back, perhaps with a notional amount of interest. Essentially it is just a credit building exercise.

I think that a lot depends upon whether or not you have a job when you land, although arriving on a TWP and have a SIN card starting with a 9 certainly does not endear you to lenders.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Please can you tell me what a sin. card starting with a nine means.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by big ron
Please can you tell me what a sin. card starting with a nine means.
A SIN is a Social Insurance Number which entitles you you certain benefits in Canada. Numbers starting with 9 denote temporary residents, I believe; i.e. those without citizenship or PR status. Could be wrong, I'm far from an expert and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Well, I've been to HSBC and it seems fate has dealt it's hand. While both HSBC UK and HSBC Canada are willing to open accounts, HSBC Canada will not grant credit card facilities in advance to non-Premier customers unless they have been a group banking customer for 12 months or longer. Which I haven't.

The guy I spoke to in International Banking did say that the local branch manager may have more leeway to grant the facility when I'm in-country but it's not do-able before I go.

The credit score is what was identified by tuppence in post #12; HSBC Canada will apply for your score from HSBC UK and it is an internal thing. Seemingly, even if you have a good score, there are other hurdles that this will not overcome so I do wonder what use it would be. They won't even look at it as I don't meet the initial criteria of 12 months as a group customer.

Looks like it is Coast Capital for me then!

Last edited by Tripitaka; Dec 13th 2010 at 10:38 am.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
A SIN is a Social Insurance Number which entitles you you certain benefits in Canada. Numbers starting with 9 denote temporary residents, I believe; i.e. those without citizenship or PR status. Could be wrong, I'm far from an expert and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
That is pretty much right. A SIN is just like a National Insurance number in the UK - your account number with the federal government for tax, pensions and employment insurance.

The first digit is the region or province of issue. E.g. 6 = Alberta, 7 = BC. As you say, 9 is for temporary residents and non=resident taxpayer IDs follow the same format but begin with 0.

For big ron: getting a SIN is one of the first things you will do once you get to Canada. Go to any Service Canada office.