Reload this Page >

HR Jobs in Canada

HR Jobs in Canada

Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

HardipBadyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HR Jobs in Canada

Hi

I am looking at moving to Canada. I currently work in HR and have CIPD qualifications.

Would anyone know if there is a demand for HR jobs in Canada and if the CIPD qualifications are recognised in Canada. Or would I have to start again with studying.

If the qualifications I have can't be transferred then what course would need to be studied?

Any help with my query would be greatly appreciated just to give me an idea of whether I have any hope of moving to Canada with work experience and qualifications I have.

Thank you
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

emmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to allemmae is a name known to all
Default Re: HR Jobs in Canada

I have my CIPD and an MSc in HR. I am in Ontario and I haven't had a response at all. I have been told that to go into HR again I would need to start back at the ground level by those expert agency folk!!! They said that employers don't view English HR experience highly, assuming that is because it has been gained around UK legislation and it is so more highly advanced here.

To be fair, I haven't tried that hard as I am re-training in another career but have applied for positions to tied me over until I complete my training.

I think in BC there is more of a demand but whether that translates into hiring on UK experience, I don't know. I think you need to be prepared to take a backwards step wherever you go but you will probably advance again quite quickly once you have some Canadian experience behind you.

Good luck.

Emma
Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HardipBadyal
Hi

I am looking at moving to Canada. I currently work in HR and have CIPD qualifications.

Would anyone know if there is a demand for HR jobs in Canada and if the CIPD qualifications are recognised in Canada. Or would I have to start again with studying.

If the qualifications I have can't be transferred then what course would need to be studied?

Any help with my query would be greatly appreciated just to give me an idea of whether I have any hope of moving to Canada with work experience and qualifications I have.

Thank you
Hi

I hate to say it but you will really struggle. CIPD is not recognised over here - each provence has its own equivalent. In Ontario its the CHRP. There seems to be a flood of highly qualified Canadian HR professionals on the market at the moment.

I had over 20 years experience from admin to management level but they all wanted Canadian experience. I did a Canadian Employment Law course but that still didn't make and difference. Over here its who you know rather than what you know. Temping is a good way to get into the market and show them what you are capable of.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Michelle
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I got a job as HR Assistant for a Sears store, I have no HR qualifications, when the HR manager left the job the post was offered to me - I turned it down several times, then they Hired a useless person, who I trained (he had a 20 year old HR degree he hadn't used) I then left as I couldn't cope with his doom and gloom anymore.

What I'm saying I suppose it's not impossible to get an HR position here, you may have to start at a lower level though. There are tons of HR courses out there.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Naz856 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I have my CIPD and MA in HR. I am in ontario at the moment and moved from the UK a few months ago. Unfortunately the CIPD qualifications are not recognised in Canada. I applied for several jobs but I haven’t got a response at all.
I applied for a few volunteer positions as well but I haven’t had a response at all.

The CHRP is needed in Ontario and also taking the "National Knowledge Exam" can be useful here.

Good luck.

Nancy
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

Hi there
In BC, the CHRP is also used. Check out www.bchrma.org for more info. The exams are split into two, knowledge and practical which are hosted twice a year in May and Oct. From 2011 in BC, applicants for the exam must hold a recognized degree. My degree is from the UK and they accepted it and I now just have to sit the exams.

You can also look at Canadian HR Reporter online which is a useful newsletter for the industry.

Company's advertize and some even on www.craigslist.ca but networking is huge out here, more so than I imagined!

PM me if I can help in any way. Good Luck
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

nicki12117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm trying to revive this thread as I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I'm in the same situation as the original poster and wondered if anything has changed in the last few years regarding English HR experience in Canada?

Thanks in advance

Nicki
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Hi Nicki

I'm in a similar position. Our papers are in (based on OH quals) and we now wait with baited breath for our PR. I currently work in HR and have MCIPD and MA HRM. From the research I've done though (which includes having contacted a ex UK HR Manager now working in Edmonton)it would seem we would have to requalify in the necessary Province. From what I've been told, it's tough breaking in to the market as HR can be a very closed occupation and networking seems to be the key. Obviously the stumbling block will be lack of knowledge of local labour laws - nothing that a quick course couldn't solve. I do know from having worked over there 10 years ago that Canada is still behind UK in terms of HRM practices and employee relations experience is highly valued as may orgs are still highly unionised.

Where are you at currently with the whole immigration process. I must admit it is a daunting thought as I know I will have to take a step down to establish myself but it will be worth it in the end, I'm sure.

hope this helps

Sarah.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:14 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell do HR people actually do?..i never quite worked this one out yet?

answers would be gratefully received
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:52 pm
Banned

Raymond Sangwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: HR Jobs in Canada

I have never thought that I could find a job over Internet, but now it seems that everything's possible. It was my first recruiting experience and I was quite baffled by dozens of messages on the net telling that staffing agencies never work and this is just a scam.

Quite the other way around! After I got registered there I was put through with a consultant straight away who advised me on the essentials I needed to know and on what I needed to indicate in my CV/profile to find the job I was looking for.

The web-site is easy enough to understand and well-developed to efficiently surf through hundreds of people (both candidates and employers) registered.

The whole thing resulted in me finding a job I was looking for during previous 2 years just in a week!
Don't think a second - ! you gonna be a star))
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reliax_5
Thank you for advice, Raymond!!!! After divorcing with my husband I had to seek work. It is difficult business, I'll tell you. When I was searching through employment agency, after I refused a 10th offer, I was asked to do job search on the Internet. They advised to go to <snip>, because they have a very large database of vacancies. I followed their advice and got the job! I can say that the staff <snip> is really interested to find you the best job! Thank you again, Charlie.
I don't think they are. I don't like their focus on jobs in the sex trade.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 28th 2012 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Website being advertised by spammer removed from quote
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raymond Sangwa
accurate compliance with all the nuances that I indicated when completing the documents.
No chains, only silken threads?