Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How's about them Blue Jays?

How's about them Blue Jays?

Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:46 pm
John Thom Don

Default Re: How's about them Blue Jays?

Hi,

Ok so I arrived July last year and saw the Jays maybe 8 times towards the end of the season - they were a poor team - Halladay was injured and the whole thing was just lacklustre with a slightly elevated effort for games against the Sox & Yankee's.

I watched VW strike out in 3 pitches every single at bat, this year! Wow! the guy spanks it out of the field night after night. Maybe things will slide but so far I am very encouraged.

John

Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Thom Don
Hi,

Maybe things will slide but so far I am very encouraged.

John
Enjoy it while you can John! And welcome to the thread.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:58 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Two good wins in a row over the O's. Tonight's pitcher is a 24 year old rookie called Casey Janssen. Apparently he ws drafted in 2004 and has jumped straight from A ball. Best of luck mate.
Yeh I saw that. I've watched the last two games on MLB TV. Wells and Rios are on fire. Lets hope the offence can give the young guy some run support.
I was checking odds for the world series today. The Jays are currently best priced at 40-1. Pretty good value I think when you consider the Yanks are 7-2. I know it's still very early but if the rotation can stay injury free you never know. That offense looks like it'll always score you runs.

Here's hoping
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

deangb is an unknown quantity at this point

The wife and I are over in July for another reccy and we managed to book tickets for the yankees game. not sure what to expect never having been to a game before. hoping there is a good crowd in as it sounds like the atmosphere is good.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:11 pm
John Thom Don

Hi Dean,

What day of the week are you going? On Tuesday's alot of the tickets are $2 so that normally guarantees a decent crowd. Also the Yankees are like the Man Utd of baseball in that there's be alot of their fans everywhere so that normally boosts attendances for those games.

I think you'll have a great time, and tickets are easy to come by when you are over here so it's straight forward going to games on a regular basis (and cheap if you go on a Tuesday!).

John

Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

deangb is an unknown quantity at this point

I was well chuffed to find the Jays were playing the yankees, like you say the man utd of baseball. lets hope they pull off a result like last night. The game is on a sunday afternoon the tickets were still pretty cheap compared to sports games here.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 12:08 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Did anybody see last nights debacle?

You gotta feel for Towers. It's just not there this year and there was no support from the pen. A lot to ask I suppose from the likes of Markham and McGowan. Lets hope Gustavo can do the biz tonight.

Can't wait for next Sunday as we're going to the game against the Angels. I've checked the rotation and it looks like Janssen will be on the mound. Would have been nice to see Doc up there, but as long as they win, who gives a shit?
Old May 1st 2006, 1:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Did anybody see last nights debacle?

You gotta feel for Towers. It's just not there this year and there was no support from the pen. A lot to ask I suppose from the likes of Markham and McGowan. Lets hope Gustavo can do the biz tonight.

Can't wait for next Sunday as we're going to the game against the Angels. I've checked the rotation and it looks like Janssen will be on the mound. Would have been nice to see Doc up there, but as long as they win, who gives a shit?
Well, it's May 1st and the BJ's are above .500 (OK just). They'll have to put the two horrible weekend games behind them and sweep the pair in Baltimore. There's nthing in it yet in the East....the next few weeks will see *someone* start to open up a gap.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:53 pm
John Thom Don

Shame,

Those last 2 losses have just taken a little bit of the gloss off a pretty strong start.

Now I can't speak for the whole of last season, but my experience towards the end of last season was they the BJ's were always strong against the Yankees & Sox and other fancied teams but really struggled to 'put away' the poor sides.

I think if they are going to make up the games they need to on last years record, they really need to be sweeping (or at least winning the series against) these poorer teams.

John

Old May 1st 2006, 2:36 pm
Kelly

I didn't see the game last night but I see JG got ejected for questioning a very dubious call that walked A Rod, thereby scoring Damon when the game was tied. I like Gibbons. He really wears his heart on his sleeve and I think the players respect him.
Hope Ted can get a win tonight but I am a little worried at the Janssen-Towers situation. The kid is gonna find it hard and Towers is just bleeding at the minute. It's like, when he takes the mound you know we're gonna get beat.He will work it out I'm sure. Need to get AJ fit asap. Mind you I think the schedule in May is a little easier than Aprils.
Lets hope they're a few above 500 by the end of the month.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

I think the schedule in May is a little easier than Aprils.
May
1 Mon at Baltimore 7:05 PM ET
2 Tue at Baltimore 7:05 PM ET
3 Wed at Boston 7:05 PM ET
4 Thu at Boston 7:05 PM ET
5 Fri Anaheim 7:07 PM ET
6 Sat Anaheim 1:07 PM ET
7 Sun Anaheim 1:07 PM ET
8 Mon Anaheim 7:07 PM ET
9 Tue Oakland 7:07 PM ET
10 Wed Oakland 7:07 PM ET
11 Thu Oakland 12:37 PM ET
12 Fri at Tampa Bay 7:15 PM ET
13 Sat at Tampa Bay 7:15 PM ET
14 Sun at Tampa Bay 1:15 PM ET
16 Tue at Anaheim 10:05 PM ET
17 Wed at Anaheim 10:05 PM ET
18 Thu at Anaheim 10:05 PM ET
19 Fri at Colorado 9:05 PM ET
20 Sat at Colorado 8:05 PM ET
21 Sun at Colorado 3:05 PM ET
22 Mon Tampa Bay 4:07 PM ET
23 Tue Tampa Bay 7:07 PM ET
24 Wed Tampa Bay 7:07 PM ET
26 Fri Chicago WSox 7:07 PM ET
27 Sat Chicago WSox 4:07 PM ET
28 Sun Chicago WSox 1:07 PM ET
29 Mon Boston 7:07 PM ET
30 Tue Boston 7:07 PM ET
31 Wed Boston 7:07 PM ET

29 games, and only 10 against the East.... this is the month someone makes a move.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:15 pm
Leavin' on a jet plane!

JonnySion is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh No!!
I've lost my New Era Blue Jays cap, and i'm leaving for Toronto in 7 days!!

By the way, if anyone has NASN in the UK, there is a live Jays game on tv this Sunday 7th May, 5.30pm (UK time).

It going to be weird seeing Toronto live on tv one day, thinking that i'll be there the next day.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:58 pm
Kelly

Originally Posted by JonnySion
Oh No!!
I've lost my New Era Blue Jays cap, and i'm leaving for Toronto in 7 days!!

By the way, if anyone has NASN in the UK, there is a live Jays game on tv this Sunday 7th May, 5.30pm (UK time).

It going to be weird seeing Toronto live on tv one day, thinking that i'll be there the next day.
Hey

I have NASN but I'll actually be at the game. I go on Friday to become "landed" before returning to sell our house. The OH's cousin has got us tickets. Went twice last year and I'm 2 for 2. Lets hope I'm 3 for 3!!
Old May 1st 2006, 10:01 pm
Leavin' on a jet plane!

JonnySion is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

I have NASN but I'll actually be at the game. I go on Friday to become "landed" before returning to sell our house. The OH's cousin has got us tickets. Went twice last year and I'm 2 for 2. Lets hope I'm 3 for 3!!

Do you know where you'll be sitting? Wave a big flag or something!!!
(i'm 3 from 4 myself)

I'll have to meet you for an England World Cup game or two if you're in town in June lol
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:07 am
Kelly

Originally Posted by JonnySion
Do you know where you'll be sitting? Wave a big flag or something!!!
(i'm 3 from 4 myself)

I'll have to meet you for an England World Cup game or two if you're in town in June lol
I'm landing this Friday as my visa expires May 10th. We're returning to England to sell the house so it's not likely I'll be over for June. House has been up 3 weeks and not a sniff of a buyer Who said the housing market was picking up over here?!!!!

Not too sure where we're sat at the Dome. Last time he got us tickets was against the Yanks last Sept and we were in the 500 level. Not the best as my wife and sponsor has an intense fear of heights. Something that didn't really stand her in good stead when we went up the CN Tower a couple of days later!!!!

Did you take part in NASN's fantasy baseball thing last year? There was a guy calling himself Belfast Jay or something as I remember.

Drew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.