Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How's about them Blue Jays?

How's about them Blue Jays?

Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:16 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all
Default Re: How's about them Blue Jays?

Hi

As I write this I'm watching the Jays take on the Bo Sox on my laptop. Watch pretty much every game if I can stay awake. I love baseball and saw the Jays beat the Yanks last September as well as beating Seattle in a totally meaningless game. My wife was bored shitless but I loved it.
With regard to this season they should have swept the Twins and should have beat the D Rays after being 6-0 up. If Doc and Burnett can get their stuff going they should challenge. The offense is there with Glaus, Wells and Rios, so here's hoping.
Someone mentioned about listening to the game on the radio, and I have to say that I spent a couple of very enjoyable evenings last September listening to the Jays and drinking Sleemans Honey Brown in my wife's cousin's garden. Happy memories!! It took me back to listening to Test Match Special from Australia when I was a kid. Honey Brown would have cool then!!!!
As you can see by my time line I have to land by May 10th so we are going to the Jays-Angels game on the 7th..... 3 up 3 down at the end of the 1st. Go Jays!!!!

Drew
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:05 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Great comeback win for the boys last night. Looks like Burnett may be injured again though .............Only 28000 there but a great atmosphere.
Hope Doc can do his stuff later.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 2:39 pm
You ROCK!!!

Rock God is on a distinguished road

My first post!! I just had to and there's baseball talk going on. I have NOBODY to talk to about baseball stuck here in Exeter, UK... Thank you MLB TV! I'd be lost without you! I guess most of you out there will be Jays fans...I'm in a bit of a quandary...We (my girlfriend and I) are off to begin our new lives in Kamloops, BC in a couple of months which is a LONG way from Toronto but of course in Canada. Seattle, however, is 4 hours away, yet, sadly for Seattle, in the US. So here's my dilemma - do I support the one and only Canadian team (until Vancouver might get one???) or do I support the M's who I can actually go and see play albeit having to cross the border? Being a lifelong baseball fan and supporter of the Yanks when I was a kid and the Giants when I lived in California this is a very hard decision to make...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
We did get to see the Mariners last year against the Sox and watched them tear Boston apart! The fact that they only one another 50 games or so shall be overlooked. Safeco Field is a great ball park and I'm lucky in that I've been to a few. Toronto should, on paper, have a great season. Their pitching looks great and once Hillenbrand finds his swing the offence should break out too. Tough division though, Boston will be a hard team to beat.
Well that's enough for my first post. Thanks for letting me say my bit!
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 3:01 pm
Kelly

Originally Posted by Rock God
My first post!! I just had to and there's baseball talk going on. I have NOBODY to talk to about baseball stuck here in Exeter, UK... Thank you MLB TV! I'd be lost without you! I guess most of you out there will be Jays fans...I'm in a bit of a quandary...We (my girlfriend and I) are off to begin our new lives in Kamloops, BC in a couple of months which is a LONG way from Toronto but of course in Canada. Seattle, however, is 4 hours away, yet, sadly for Seattle, in the US. So here's my dilemma - do I support the one and only Canadian team (until Vancouver might get one???) or do I support the M's who I can actually go and see play albeit having to cross the border? Being a lifelong baseball fan and supporter of the Yanks when I was a kid and the Giants when I lived in California this is a very hard decision to make...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
We did get to see the Mariners last year against the Sox and watched them tear Boston apart! The fact that they only one another 50 games or so shall be overlooked. Safeco Field is a great ball park and I'm lucky in that I've been to a few. Toronto should, on paper, have a great season. Their pitching looks great and once Hillenbrand finds his swing the offence should break out too. Tough division though, Boston will be a hard team to beat.
Well that's enough for my first post. Thanks for letting me say my bit!
Hey Mate

For me it's a no brainer!!! You gotta root for the Jays. If I was living out East and Vancouver were the only Canadian team then I'd be rooting for them over the Americans..... Each to their own though eh?
I watched the Jays on MLB TV last night and I am really optimistic for this year. If we can get our rotation sorted ............I mean if they can stay injury free.......then we should challenge. We came back really well last night considering Burnett left at the end of the 4th. The bullpen was really stretched. Ryan and Speir were pretty much lights out at the end
Looking forward to game 2 in a bit. Drives my missus mad. By the way if you have NASN you can watch the Jays hopefully beat the Sox tomorrow. Mind you it's Towers on the mound and he's not started too well this year.

Anyway up to you mate but I suppose it's like if you live in Windsor.....would you be a Redwings, Tigers fan or a Leafs, Jays fan. I'd be interested to know who people root for down there.

Bear in mind though you could fly to TO in the time it takes you to see the M's

Your chioce

Go Jays!!!

Drew
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 3:59 pm
Leavin' on a jet plane!

JonnySion is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep I agree...you gotta support the Blue Jays!!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

8-1 over the Sox today. Steady start by Doc and good work from the bullpen to go with the big bats. Hopefully we can sweep tomorrow to go to 10-7.

Good to see this thread is picking up some support too.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:27 pm
Kelly

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
8-1 over the Sox today. Steady start by Doc and good work from the bullpen to go with the big bats. Hopefully we can sweep tomorrow to go to 10-7.

Good to see this thread is picking up some support too.
Hey
What do you think they'll do if AJ has to go on the DL for a while. I suppose either Downs or Walker will step up or they may bring someone up from AAA.
Would be great if they could sweep the Sox and gain a bit of momentum. Just spoke to OH's cousin and he's getting us tickets for the Angels game on May 7th. Might even take in the A's before we return home. Not sure OH would be that impressed though.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hey
What do you think they'll do if AJ has to go on the DL for a while. I suppose either Downs or Walker will step up or they may bring someone up from AAA.
Would be great if they could sweep the Sox and gain a bit of momentum. Just spoke to OH's cousin and he's getting us tickets for the Angels game on May 7th. Might even take in the A's before we return home. Not sure OH would be that impressed though.
Well, Monday's an offday, so they could have Doc start on five days rest next thursday in AJ's spot, then make a move after that when they see who's in form at Syracuse. They've brought up Shaun Marcum from Syracuse in the meantime and he pitched an inning yesterday. He's really a starter though...he might get the AJ berth next Thursday.

Word is they don't want to mess with the bullpen by starting Downs or Walker.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought tickets for May 5th. May as well get the annual excursion over and done with.

On Friday we were at a party where one of the guests had just been thrown out of the baseball game for cheering rowdily. He only made it to the 5th inning so this may have been a record.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:48 pm
Kelly

Well, Monday's an offday, so they could have Doc start on five days rest next thursday in AJ's spot, then make a move after that when they see who's in form at Syracuse. They've brought up Shaun Marcum from Syracuse in the meantime and he pitched an inning yesterday. He's really a starter though...he might get the AJ berth next Thursday.

Word is they don't want to mess with the bullpen by starting Downs or Walker.
I see they've moved Doc's next start to the weekend at Yankee stadium. Apparently they didn't want a replacement makin his debut at the Yanks. The website was saying that they'd probably call one of two up from Syracuse.
I think they've had a pretty tough start so to be above 500 is not too bad at all.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:37 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by kellydrew
I think they've had a pretty tough start so to be above 500 is not too bad at all.
Agreed. And if Josh Towers (0-4) was pitching anything like he did in last year's second half, they'd be doing even better. It's Gustav Chacin (3-0) tonight, so fingers crossed for a win against Baltimore.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:49 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just bought tickets for May 5th. May as well get the annual excursion over and done with.
Who's in town on the 5th, dbd? The Buzz or the Muckdogs?

Ah, I see it's the Angels. Same thing then.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Who's in town on the 5th, dbd? The Buzz or the Muckdogs?

Ah, I see it's the Angels. Same thing then.
More importantly, the mother of the wetback woman is in town, baseball is a suitable entertainment.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:18 pm
Kelly

[QUOTE=Novocastrian]Agreed. And if Josh Towers (0-4) was pitching anything like he did in last year's second half, they'd be doing even better. It's Gustav Chacin (3-0) tonight, so fingers crossed for a win against Baltimore.[/QUOTE

Who's on the mound for the 0's? Have they said whos pitching thursday yet?
Good news about AJ. Not as bad as they first thought. Lets hope he's not on the DL for too long. We need a consistent rotation I think. It was the same last year. We never really got any momentum going.
Anyway lets hope we can start the series with a win.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:40 pm
Born again atheist

Two good wins in a row over the O's. Tonight's pitcher is a 24 year old rookie called Casey Janssen. Apparently he ws drafted in 2004 and has jumped straight from A ball. Best of luck mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.