Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to tell if apartments to rent are a scam

How to tell if apartments to rent are a scam

Old Nov 18th 2011, 7:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to tell if apartments to rent are a scam

Originally Posted by gillyd65
walk the streets and check out kijiji
Graig's List is more popular than kijiji in Vancouver.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taylor2kay
Hi All,

I have been checking out some appartments on craiglist that are within our budget but two responses have come back and said that they are no longer in Canada and I won't be able to view the apartment but they will post me the keys once I send them two months rent and have 14days to cancel the contract

Are these scams??? Has anyone else come across this before?

I have never come across this before, here in the UK you view and if you like to sign contract and away you go.

Any advice would appreciated
Yes, this is a scam. You will also get similar suggestions if you post on Craigslist looking for a place to live. When I get those I tell them I have to see the flat and I want to see a contract with their name, their ID and something from the building saying that they are allowed to rent/sublet it to someone else. I never get an email back from those. Never fails.

One guy selling cars on Craigslist started asking me for pictures of me and my age.

Craigslist is great but it is also riddled with scammers. You have to be street wise and smarten up if you want to succeed.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Yes, this is a scam. You will also get similar suggestions if you post on Craigslist looking for a place to live. When I get those I tell them I have to see the flat and I want to see a contract with their name, their ID and something from the building saying that they are allowed to rent/sublet it to someone else. I never get an email back from those. Never fails.

One guy selling cars on Craigslist started asking me for pictures of me and my age.

Craigslist is great but it is also riddled with scammers. You have to be street wise and smarten up if you want to succeed.
The guy didn't say he was working in London on a cure for aids by any chance? I met a lady a few months ago who came and asked about a house that one of my colleagues actually had listed for rent. She said that she had seen the property listed on Craigslist (for $800 - the property actually was leased for $1800 per month), and had emailed the guy thinking it was the answer to her prayers. He responded saying that he was a doctor seconded to the UK to work on a cure for aids and if she sent him 2 months rent, he would send her the keys. She, fortunately, realised that it was a scam and came and asked me if I knew anything about the property. Sure enough a search of Craiglist showed up another property (also for $800) in the same town which was already advertised on MLS for $2400. I think they strip the listings from MLS, and I can tell you 100% - it is a scam.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
The guy didn't say he was working in London on a cure for aids by any chance? I met a lady a few months ago who came and asked about a house that one of my colleagues actually had listed for rent. She said that she had seen the property listed on Craigslist (for $800 - the property actually was leased for $1800 per month), and had emailed the guy thinking it was the answer to her prayers. He responded saying that he was a doctor seconded to the UK to work on a cure for aids and if she sent him 2 months rent, he would send her the keys. She, fortunately, realised that it was a scam and came and asked me if I knew anything about the property. Sure enough a search of Craiglist showed up another property (also for $800) in the same town which was already advertised on MLS for $2400. I think they strip the listings from MLS, and I can tell you 100% - it is a scam.
A friend of mine was about to fall for this. Had found a place on lower yonge street for a bargain. 600sqf condo for under 1k. Really? I told him what was about to happen to him. "But the guy said he's in UK". Yup. That's what they say.