Reload this Page >

How to setup Hydro?

How to setup Hydro?

Old May 7th 2008, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to setup Hydro?

Hi guys,

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this. But I must be a bit slow today, as I can't seem to find that info in the wiki or past thread.

So yeah, how do I setup hydro? I heard there are a number of competitors. Do I just call one of them and say "hey, I'm moving to this new flat on June 1st so I need hydro there, thanks(?)"

And can you recommend a good hydro company? Do prices vary?

Thanks very much. You guys rock!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to setup Hydro?

Originally Posted by websheep
Hi guys,

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this. But I must be a bit slow today, as I can't seem to find that info in the wiki or past thread.

So yeah, how do I setup hydro? I heard there are a number of competitors. Do I just call one of them and say "hey, I'm moving to this new flat on June 1st so I need hydro there, thanks(?)"

And can you recommend a good hydro company? Do prices vary?

Thanks very much. You guys rock!
You call Toronto Hydro.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Toronto Hydro will do the electricity, if you are renting is it inclusive of utlities or extra? If there is an electric hot water heater that could come from Toronto Hydro or Direct Energy or be owned by the landlord so that might show up on the bill too. If you give them the address and apartment number it should be on file with the as far as the meter number goes from the last tenant and they will just set up an account for you. Make sure they switch it on the date you move in and maybe check the meter reading when you move in to make sure you don't end up paying too much. Also as a new customer it is likely they will want a deposit which they give back to you after paying all your bills for the first year. We had to do this in our apartment and also again when we moved house for some reason as they cancelled the old account and set up a new one so we appeared as new customers again.
Ask the landlord if there is anything gas powered like heating or hot water and make sure they are paying that for the whole building as usually there is only one gas meter compared to multiple eletricity meters.
For telephone you will either waqnt a regular Bell line or if you are getting cable then Rogers has a home phone. For tv there is Rogers for cable and Bell for satelite. For internet there is rogers for cable again or Bell for DSL through their phone line.
Your landlord should be paying the water bill and taxes etc. (unlike UK where residents pay the council tax) and they should be ocvering all that in the rent. Usually if utilities are extra it is just the Hydro (electricity).
Old May 9th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice wizzard! Yeah hydro is extra, but gas/water is included.

I guess we should get a cable, phone, internet combo....