Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to say Goodbye ?

How to say Goodbye ?

Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to say Goodbye ?

Hi

Received my "updated infomation request " had my AOR march 2005, so i am hoping to have the meds this year...

So along with the house selling, removals, schools for the kids , to think about , any hints on how to say goodbye??

I have been told that a wave off at the airport is a big NO NO, as every body breaks down ( with joy after leaving the UK HA HA ) but what did you guys do ?

have a party to say goodbye in one go ? visit every body, had an open house before you left? just i can see my mother inlaw making it as hard as possible , and i just want ideas..

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to say Goodbye ?

Gary - Hi - we're in the final countdown now - about 7 weeks to go - and it's suddenly getting hard and horrible in parts !!

We've just spend the Easter weekend with one set of friends, got this weekend with another group - the following two I am away, then one more weekend for a final house clearing, packing, cleaning stuff before all our stuff gets shippped. We then 'camp out' in our rental property for three weeks, borrowing all sorts of beds, crockery etc !!

We've arranged a final 'farewell' party a week before we go - with entertainment on the side for the kids. Venues for this proved to be an issue, as I knew there would be as many kids as adults, and local pubs did not have a hugely suitable layout for excitable little people, let alone slightly inebriated big people! Some restaurants will clear the decks for something like this, or hotels, but then you start getting into considerable sums of money. So I'm doing a 'Canada' quiz - we've got a red and white theme going on with lots of balloons and flags and well, you know, keeping it subtle!!

We've also booked in one final 'family' day - two days before we go - and I am quite simply dreading this one !! And I definately do not want anyone taking us to the airport - it'll be hard and weird enough during those final hours ...

Different people have gone for different approaches - separate parties for kids and adults - big discos things, small intimate dinners, lads or ladies weekends away - and some doing nothing at all. I've agonised over the right approach (like there's not enough going on in our lives at the moment) and feel a big party for everyone suits our needs.

So, sounds like you've got a bit of time to plan your exit. Enjoy !!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

rain426 will become famous soon enoughrain426 will become famous soon enough

How about telling everyone you are leaving a week later than you actually leave?

Fleeing - the easy option.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

fleeing .. now, i do like the sound of that one, " we've moved to canada, living near a tree , come find us "

Gary
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Would totally discourage Airport Goodbyes - Heartbreaking is an understatement.

The people in the UK are worried about how the travellers are coping then they are upset and the travellers are worried about how the UK people are coping with the tears and the trip home

Gay

x
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:12 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We left UK on January 8th so did not have a leaving party as such because of Christmas and New Year.

We chose not to have anyone at the airport. The finals days leading up to the flight are extremely draining. The day before we left we booked into a hotel next to the airport then set of in a car and went round on a whistlestop tour to say goodbye to various people and to drop off some last minute items we were giving away. Each person I said farewell to I cried. We felt emotionally and physically shattered at the end of the day

I knew that I would be seeing most of them again as hopefully they will be coming over for a holiday. With flights being more affordable I too can return if I feel the need.

On the day of the flight we had breakfast at the airport and it felt almost like we were off on holiday. I am glad nobody was there to say goodbye.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:34 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

I'm leaving in two weeks, on my own for the first 6 weeks . For the last couple of weeks I've been saying goodbye to people. It's particularly difficult with people you dont think you will see again, like my father-in-law. And while hubby is trying to be supportive, I dont think he really gets it, because his leaving date is further away.

Definately not going to go with the big send off thing, we're having dinner with different friends at various times instead, and that's bad enough After a while it wears you down

Worst thing will definately be saying goodbye to my son and hubby at the airport. Never been parted from my son before for longer than a week.

But will be worth it once we're all back together again
C
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter and I stayed at a hotel night before the flight so parents dropped us off there, we had a nice meal, said goodbye and Mum was dragged away by Dad before the really emotional stuff started.

i had previousley held a leaving party for daughter to say bye to her friends and I had done the rounds with mine during the weeks prior to leaving. Hubby had left 6-7 weeks before us so we had done his friends already - just final phone calls.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:57 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
I'm leaving in two weeks, on my own for the first 6 weeks . For the last couple of weeks I've been saying goodbye to people. It's particularly difficult with people you dont think you will see again, like my father-in-law. And while hubby is trying to be supportive, I dont think he really gets it, because his leaving date is further away.

Definately not going to go with the big send off thing, we're having dinner with different friends at various times instead, and that's bad enough After a while it wears you down

Worst thing will definately be saying goodbye to my son and hubby at the airport. Never been parted from my son before for longer than a week.

But will be worth it once we're all back together again
C
I arrived in Canada by myself as well - hubby followed 3 weeks later. We didn't do the big party thing, I found it very difficult saying goodbye to everyone & I think if we had had a party I would have just cried the whole night!
We stayed in a hotel at Gatwick the night before & it was really hard saying goodbye to OH. We told all friends & family that we were leaving a day later than we really were because I was concerned that they (especially my mum) might show up to wave me off.
Lots of our friends have been here to visit, my mum has been here 6 times already (much to OH disgust!) During the summer particularly, I feel like a travel agent, organising everyones holidays to Calgary!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We had a leaving party around a friends house.

I did not want anyone at the airport as I didn't see the point, but my husbands family came.

We also had various dinner parties in the final weeks.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:00 pm
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

Thanks Louise, glad to know its not just me. Am fairly independent kinda girl but even I'm a little bit phazed by the whole thing!

Never mind...I will survive!
C
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

We had dinner out the night before with all the family. Then seven of them came to the airport with us. Surprisingly it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. In the lead up to it every time I thought about it I would break down and I think thinking about it was worse than the actual doing for me.
As soon as we got through security at Glasgow airport we went straight to the nearest bar as I was shaking like a leaf. I lost it when a couple innocently asked my then four year old so are you off on your holidays?
It's never going to be easy no matter how you do it. It does get better though and when you see your families ugly mugs on the web cam soon after you wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:14 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
Thanks Louise, glad to know its not just me. Am fairly independent kinda girl but even I'm a little bit phazed by the whole thing!

Never mind...I will survive!
C
You'll be fine Claire, a lot of people said they were amazed that I moved effectively by myself - looking back I feel quite proud of all the things I achieved on my own!
We didn't have a choice at the time, I had to start work and that was that
Old Apr 14th 2007, 5:41 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was weird.

We did have a goodbye send off from friends, and I cried a little. But when we actually left the country I knew I was coming back (alone) in about 6 days so it was "see you next week"!

Then when I did move out eventually a couple of months later, the anticipation of seeing hubby and family again far outweighed the sorrow of leaving. Plus that time had been so stressful I was just relieved it was all over!