Reload this Page >

How much do you really need?

How much do you really need?

Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much do you really need?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be moving to Canada within the next few months just after finishing up at work, & I've been saving so that I could have a good amount to reduce some risk for when I go out there.

I know that finding a job might be tough, so after I finish up here & have paid for flight and last minute thing, I will have around £10,000 to transfer.

Before I go further I should mention I'm moving through the 2 year IEC to Toronto at first, but with the intention (assuming I like the place) to get qualifying work and eventually progress into PR. Nothing set in stone though & for now the main goal is get out there - survive- maybe find work.

Anyway, just wondering from other people who have done IEC, or moved out there permanently, how much did you really need? Was money the main issue when you got out there or were there other more important challenges?

Bit of background info, I'm a single guy with a degree in accounting (but I hate it) moving out there to see what life & other places in the world have to offer. Pretty disciplined, so saving money and living frugally isn't an issue, although i'd be lying if I said I didn't want to splurge 2 grand for a new laptop , or invest some money... But I recognise that right now, its got a better use.

Also, how difficult was it for you guys to find a decent place to live without a letter of employment?

I don't plan on having work lined up because I figured I'd just get out there and see what I come across as I'd rather avoid finance, but only use it if I have to, to survive.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated on anything to do with IEC , and moving out there generally...

Thanks!

Edit:
Also, what would you consider to be the expected rent costs per month, depending on if you live alone/roommate etc. And what are the more ideal areas in Toronto to live for a single person that isn't a young millionaire...

Last edited by WildfireV2; Mar 7th 2016 at 12:12 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do you really need?

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
..... Anyway, just wondering from other people who have done IEC, or moved out there permanently, how much did you really need? ....
This much.

Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
lol... Yeah I get there's no real definitive answer for this, I suppose I'm just looking for other peoples opinions on their experiences with varying amounts if that makes sense!.

I feel like I might have over saved really, then other times I look at the rent prices of $1300, and think with all the hidden costs & if I struggle to get work, I could be screwed after a while.

Is there a better resource for looking for places to live than Kijiji? or is that generally the most reliable?

Last edited by WildfireV2; Mar 7th 2016 at 12:46 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I will have around £10,000 to transfer...i'd be lying if I said I didn't want to splurge 2 grand for a new laptop...
I assumed you meant £2,000 but then in your next post you referred to rent ($1300) in dollars so I'm not sure if you meant £2k or $2k.

Nevertheless, I have a genuine question. Work issues aside, what can you do on a $2k or $4k laptop that you can't do on one for under $600?

Is it mainly gaming stuff?

Maybe you get more for your money in Canada?
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I assumed you meant £2,000 but then in your next post you referred to rent ($1300) in dollars so I'm not sure if you meant £2k or $2k.

Nevertheless, I have a genuine question. Work issues aside, what can you do on a $2k or $4k laptop that you can't do on one for under $600?

Is it mainly gaming stuff?

Maybe you get more for your money in Canada?
Well I probably should have put a £2,000 before it as honestly if I felt comfortable spending the cash I'd buy the MSI Titan SLI for the gaming capabilities and the mechanical keyboard.

Yes if i bought a new laptop , it would be a gaming laptop as I did promise myself my next laptop(this was 6 years ago) would be a gaming one.

a Desktop is just not practical enough if I want to move around, & if I bought a laptop I would buy it out of Canada, so it'd probably end up the equivalent of £2,000 depending on specs.

But like I said, that would be a splurge because a laptop is not a necessity, & I can probably put that money towards something better, hell, I've been wanting to start investing for the future at some point.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if i bought a new laptop , it would be a gaming laptop as I did promise myself my next laptop(this was 6 years ago) would be a gaming one.
Fair enough.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Well I probably should have put a £2,000 before it as honestly if I felt comfortable spending the cash I'd buy the MSI Titan SLI for the gaming capabilities and the mechanical keyboard.

a Desktop is just not practical enough if I want to move around, & if I bought a laptop I would buy it out of Canada, so it'd probably end up the equivalent of £2,000 depending on specs.

But like I said, that would be a splurge because a laptop is not a necessity, & I can probably put that money towards something better, hell, I've been wanting to start investing for the future at some point.
I have an MSI Gaming Laptop (albeit a little older now) - the MSI Titan 5th generation you can get here for around $4000 - so you were on the mark when you said £2000.

Thread drift, sorry! Back to your questions..

Try padmapper.com for rentals

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 7th 2016 at 4:50 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you have enough to pay for flights, rent and food for a couple of months you should be fine (as a single person moving with a suitcase or 2). The monetary requirements of IEC cover this quite well.

What you do need to keep in mind is that some PR programs require you to have a certain amount in order to qualify. Of course you don't need this until 2 years down the line, but I know that I made sure to put aside the money I needed for that in savings after my first year here. Keep in mind also that paying for all the things (medical, language test, paperwork, etc) for PR can be expensive too.

You say you're good at living frugally, so maybe this won't be a problem for you!

Also, don't buy a gaming laptop. You can get equal/better specs for a lower price in a desktop PC.