Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much do spend on shopping.

How much do spend on shopping.

Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:19 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: How much do spend on shopping.

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
How much do you spend on shopping in Canada.

There is just me and my partner. We spend about 30-40 bucks every couple of days on food. I wonder sometimes if that it is a lot of money.

I just wonder how much others spend on shopping.

we average ( i think as usually just go in a buy whatever we think we need ) between $900-$1200 a month as 2 adults and 2 kids.........cheers
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:25 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do spend on shopping.

I always found having a huge meal before grocery shopping significantly reduced the bill. If you go hungry prepare to return with a cheeto mustache.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

At least $300 a week for the two of us, not including wine. It's gone down somewhat since The Boy moved out.

I have a sneaking suspicion we may not be entirely normal.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

$500-$600 a month is pretty much the norm...2+2.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:43 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Essex_Man;7510871]How much do you spend on shopping in Canada.

We go to Costco once a month and spend on average between $700 and $900, although it is mostly nearer $900, but I must say that includes the odd item of clothing thrown in. We then top up weekly with fresh from the Supermarket so I guess we spend another $200. We are a family of 3.We do skip a Costco visit every now and then as my freezers (2 small|) are bursting at the seams, but my OH seems convinced that we need to keep two months worth of food in the store room in case ( in case of what I ask!)

Since he retired we have got into the habit of doing a 'big' shop every month and I am convinced, although he doesnt believe me, that we spend more doing the shopping that way than shopping weekly. First off you miss all the weekly bargains, and then how the hell do you know what you will fancy next week, and then if I want to try a new recipe I probably have to go out and buy other ingredients anyway. But I cannot convince him so we trundle on with doing huge shops!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
At least $300 a week for the two of us....we may not be entirely normal.
That's a fair sum Souv - filet mignon, salmon and asparagus, with tons of out-of-season extras? and quite what calibre of vino are you choosing anyway?

I think I spend a lot but not entirely sure what I have to show for it (apart from that insulting figure the scales chuck out every week ).

Sounds like you eat and drink well dear - and good for you
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by ann m
That's a fair sum Souv - filet mignon, salmon and asparagus, with tons of out-of-season extras? and quite what calibre of vino are you choosing anyway?

I think I spend a lot but not entirely sure what I have to show for it (apart from that insulting figure the scales chuck out every week ).

Sounds like you eat and drink well dear - and good for you
I think it reasonable to say that we do spend rather more than most people on food. We like food. Good food that looks pretty. Nice veggies are expensive, as are nice breads. We love cheese, which is a real money-pit. I think we have about eight different ones in the fridge at the moment, including an enormous lump pf Parmesan (Costco). I dare not count how many sauces, marinades, dressings, oils, vinegars and mustards we have.

We have no objection to buying things because they are cheap though. The 0.9kg chunk of pork fillet in the fridge was less than $6, and the 3.7kg lump of AAA beef tenderloin for $60.... Well, we couldn't leave it in the store, could we?

We don't to restaurants more than once in a blue moon and we don't own a microwave. We did but only used it as a bread bin.

Decent wine doesn't need to cost the earth and we're lucky enough to be close to an SAQ Depot, where you get a 15% discount when you buy by the case.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Our weekly shop ranges from $160-$200- depends if we need stuff like diapers, dishwasher tablets etc that week.

There's me, wifey and our two girls (2 and 3). We dont smoke and rarely drink.

Last edited by jericho; Apr 25th 2009 at 12:15 am.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

CalgaryNoMore is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first came to Calgary in 92 I was pretty sure groceries were cheaper in Calgary. I don't think that's the case anymore. In fact, I think it's now reversed - based on absolutely no scientific analysis of course.
People posting costs based on number of kids should ideally give ages since my 15 and 13 year olds probably consume an extra $300/ month compared to when they were younger (of course there's no diapers/ nappies anymore). So my total for 1 adult and 2 teenagers is around $600/$700 per month.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by CalgaryNoMore
When I first came to Calgary in 92 I was pretty sure groceries were cheaper in Calgary. I don't think that's the case anymore. In fact, I think it's now reversed - based on absolutely no scientific analysis of course.
People posting costs based on number of kids should ideally give ages since my 15 and 13 year olds probably consume an extra $300/ month compared to when they were younger (of course there's no diapers/ nappies anymore). So my total for 1 adult and 2 teenagers is around $600/$700 per month.
Kids, particularly teenage ones, probably waste as much food as they consume. In my experience, they will always load more onto their plate than they can eat.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:37 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I always try to make use of the "Customer Appreciation Night" which is the first Tuesday in the month...I know Safeway and Sobeys both do it in Calgary, but not sure about other supermarkets. You get 10% off your shopping bill, so I usually save up all the 'occasionals' like ketchup, sauces, toiletries and the like until then. Bill usually comes to $100-$200. We then 'top' up as and when with the fresh veggies so its pretty variable depending on what we fancy for tea.

Then there's the Costco once a month run which is usually around $200 for the two of us...bulk stuff like drinks, cereal in humungus jumbo packs, Pataks curry sauce (just discovered that last week), and the meat is pretty good, although with just two of us we miss a lot of the stuff out as its just too big a packet for us!

For the Costco lovers among you, there is a Costco liquor store at the Calgary Beacon Hill Costco which often has some good beer and booze bargains. I don't think you even have to be a member to shop in the liquor store part but others can correct me if I'm wrong. However, since I've been pregnant, the liquor store bill has dropped to pretty much zero these days
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:41 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
For the Costco lovers among you, there is a Costco liquor store at the Calgary Beacon Hill Costco which often has some good beer and booze bargains. I don't think you even have to be a member to shop in the liquor store part but others can correct me if I'm wrong. However, since I've been pregnant, the liquor store bill has dropped to pretty much zero these days
I believe you are correct about the membership thing.

Something to do with provincial regulations.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

I've just looked back at the credit card bill and I'm spending approx $800 per month for 2 + 2

Would be $100 more if it wasn't for customer appreciation days
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I have money I spend between 60-140 per month on food for just me.

Right now I spend 0 per month.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 25th 2009 at 4:33 am.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

We spent on average $750 a month that was for 2 adults and 3 kids ( 4,6 and 12) and a small dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.