How Much??

Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Much??

Originally Posted by linz3112
Your not wrong!! I knew it was going to be expensive though and i'm sure it will be worth it!!
What do you think the chances would be of my OH getting a job offer prior to applying on the SW Route? I know the job situation is not great anywhere at the mo but im hoping it will have picked up by the time we go......
At the rate we are going we are not going to be able to afford to go without him having arranged employment.
Also, what do you think would be the best option for this? Arranged employment and PNP OR TWP with the PR app going in while we are there???

Thanks
Depends what his job is to be honest. Worth a try though!

You've got your options a bit confused though - an AEO is for use with a Skilled Worker application, so you could either do that, or the TWP to PR route. You couldn't apply for PNP until there working on a TWP.

Usually, TWP is better as most employers aren't prepared to wait the 6-12 months it would take to get PR via the SW route, but obviously a TWP is far less secure for you, particularly given the current economic climate. There have been a lot of TWP holders on this forum that have been laid off.

Perhaps your best bet is to apply for FSW visa, using equity in your house at the initial stage, and then try and apply for jobs so that proof of funds wouldn't be required when you land. It may also look better to potential employers if you've already applied for PR as it shows you're serious - and then if (God forbid) hubby does get made redundant whilst on a TWP, at least you'd hopefully get PR shortly after so wouldn't have to pack up and leave Canada.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:05 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by linz3112
Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me an indication as to how much cash we are going to need to get to Nova Scotia???
There is myself, my OH and our Son (will be 6 or 7 yrs old by the time we go). We are hoping to go through the Skilled Worker route. I have been on the CIC and the fees for the application process etc but what about Medicals? Also, does anyone know approx how much it is to use an Immigration Consultant - i know it varies but just an indication would be great!
We are going to rent initially and hopefully my OH will already have a job so once we are there it shouldnt be too bad - just have to pay for a car, insurance, bills and hook up to utilities, food, some furniture..
Its mainly the cost of the actual process that i am thinking about - anyone who has already been there and got the t-shirt that can give me a vague idea????!!!
Thanks guys
It's not the immigration stuff that costs - don't sweat it too much.

Once you get there you need to be able to live.

I would make sure you arrive with 12 months worth of living liquidities if you haven't a job lined up. Say about $50k if you're careful.

Add too this:
Emmigration fees are about $2000 roughly
Don't use a consultant - pointless
Container to move your stuff between ukp 4 000-6 000
Car on arrival - second hand & insurance and tax - budget $16 000
Budget $10 000 to buy white goods - your euro ones won't work
Add in $2 000 to secure a credit card
Add in an additional $1 500 for winter clothes first year
Then give yourself some spending money to start with, say $5 000

Add it up: between $90 and $100 000 in liquidity.

Of course, if you get jobs quickly, you won't need so much and you can put the saved cash into your house or some other investment.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006

I would make sure you arrive with 12 months worth of living liquidities if you haven't a job lined up. Say about $50k if you're careful.

Add too this:

Of course, if you get jobs quickly, you won't need so much and you can put the saved cash into your house or some other investment.
montreal must be incredibly expensive

$16000 would buy you brand new car possibly 2??

$10000 on white goods would buy you sears entire stock!
$1500 winter clothes
$150 per person would set you up just fine
credit card we have got credit cards and we are only visitor status???

all fine and dandy if you drip cash but for most folk $50000 to $100000 is just not necessary

more like about $8000 in rural area more in a city I would think and thats without kids of course
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:18 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Add too this:

We had better cancel
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:35 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chumley
montreal must be incredibly expensive

$16000 would buy you brand new car possibly 2??
It will buy you a second hand 4 year old Japanese model with taxes and insurance included.
$10000 on white goods would buy you sears entire stock!
Hmm Kitchen aid and Bosch appliances - you could get cheaper stuff for less, but it's cheaper stuff..
$1500 winter clothes
Coats that are good at -25 are expensive, boots etc
$150 per person would set you up just fine
No way. You can't get a good coat for that price unless you go second hand.

credit card we have got credit cards and we are only visitor status???

all fine and dandy if you drip cash but for most folk $50000 to $100000 is just not necessary
If you have a job, if you don't it's necessary.
more like about $8000 in rural area more in a city I would think and thats without kids of course
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

It will buy you a second hand 4 year old Japanese model with taxes and insurance included.

Hmm Kitchen aid and Bosch appliances - you could get cheaper stuff for less, but it's cheaper stuff..

Coats that are good at -25 are expensive, boots etc

No way. You can't get a good coat for that price unless you go second hand.

If you have a job, if you don't it's necessary.

think we shall have to agree to disagree on this

the facts are entirely different

my 2 pairs of boots that are good for minus 40 were $18 each
my thermal hunting coat for extreme waehter was $65
gloves socks etc all thermal were all bought for less than $10

Please dont frighten off the average BE'er who isnt loaded
who needs fancy name appliances been there seen it done all that in the Uk just aint necessary
and buy cars made in canada/us they are fit for purpose parts can be had for cents

no way would we have a fancy car it would be plain daft in this climate with these roads madness

a new car would have had its chips with a couple of winters salt on the roads so long as you are not defined by what you own but more by what you are all will be tikety boo and you will fit in a whole lot better with the locals without the unecessary flash
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:59 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent several winter working outdoors in all weather, I've come to the conclusion skimping on good quality clothing is a waste of time.

My boots cost close to $200 (Irish Setter Elk Trackers), coat $150 (Carhartt), and snowmobile suit $175. I can sit on a tractor and plough snow for 4 hrs at minus whatever and not feel the cold. There's absolutely no way $150 would dress me appropriately for spending hours at a time outdoors in the depths of winter. Those items have lasted 3 winters so far and show very little sign of wear and tear, so over the long term they're inexpensive and offer good vfm.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R I C H
Having spent several winter working outdoors in all weather, I've come to the conclusion skimping on good quality clothing is a waste of time.

My boots cost close to $200 (Irish Setter Elk Trackers), coat $150 (Carhartt), and snowmobile suit $175. I can sit on a tractor and plough snow for 4 hrs at minus whatever and not feel the cold. There's absolutely no way $150 would dress me appropriately for spending hours at a time outdoors in the depths of winter. Those items have lasted 3 winters so far and show very little sign of wear and tear, so over the long term they're inexpensive and offer good vfm.
not saying that quality stuff isnt great but if we are talking about newcomers to canada on a budget trying to settle in the first months without the first pay packet etc then its possible to set up for less then the $50k to $100k mentioned

have to confess my winter kit is fine for toddling down to the legion going about the village etc walking the dogs would not want to test it for several hours outside or working outside though

and yes investing in quality is more cost effective but if needs must and you need stuff from day one then there is plenty available to get you started without spending a fortune

I would bet 9 out of 10 BE's coming to canada will no way be bringing $50 k or even $30K and will do just great
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
We had better cancel
you will be fine nikki $50 is not the reality
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Can't help much with the current costs of getting over here, I did it almost 20years ago. However, I can comment on a few of the costs that have been posted here. The $7,000 shipping costs, if I read right, were to BC, as far again as you coming to NS, so no doubt your costs will be somewhat less

I saw Chumley had stated $600 something for property taxes That's certainly not what you'd think of as an average price in NS. Our homes, outside the city, are both $2,500'ish per year, so please don't think you're going to be only paying $600, unless I misunderstood the time frame that was being quoted

Either way, I agree with what's been said, you'll get lot's of helpful (and some not so helpful) advice on here. Best of luck with your venture.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:16 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

you will be fine nikki $50 is not the reality
That's good, as you say it all depends on what you spend your $$$$ on and in the short term if you can get by with something then that's we will be doing

Everyone has different views on what they will require and also different outlooks in so far as what it is they are trying to achieve from such a move.

For me personally it is not about the house we can have or the cars etc, it is about a lifestyle choice

We were badly affected by the uk housing slump in terms of $$$$(although you could argue that its all figures on paper anyway) but the reality is we have been able to free ourselves from the UK in respect of our house, pay to get ourselves to NS and get settled for a few months,

Some may say it is a gamble, not having stacks in the bank etc, but we are determined for this to work and will doing everything necessary, definitely do not want to be in a position where we regret not having tried. We are very fortunate in that we have been able to sell our house and come out with some money and obtained PR visas etc so are going to give this move 110%

Good luck everyone
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Can't help much with the current costs of getting over here, I did it almost 20years ago. However, I can comment on a few of the costs that have been posted here. The $7,000 shipping costs, if I read right, were to BC, as far again as you coming to NS, so no doubt your costs will be somewhat less

I saw Chumley had stated $600 something for property taxes That's certainly not what you'd think of as an average price in NS. Our homes, outside the city, are both $2,500'ish per year, so please don't think you're going to be only paying $600, unless I misunderstood the time frame that was being quoted

Either way, I agree with what's been said, you'll get lot's of helpful (and some not so helpful) advice on here. Best of luck with your venture.
our property tax for this year is $636 last year it was about $20 less but yes we do live in the uhlu and yes taxes are much higher in towns

mind you not as uhlu as you might think we do have street lights, made up roads, store , and other facilities we are not miles from anything.

we are a good 120k from what I what call a town though

in rural NS thay talk of a town as being somehwere with 2 houees and a church that is not a town to me
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Add too this:

Canada2006

I agree with the sort of costs you quoted.

We moved to Calgary in 1997 and spent around $40K moving and getting set up in Canada(excluding buying a house).

We brought 2 used cars $22K, car insurance(1st year) $3500, winter cloths that was good $1000 spent. Shipping good from UK $10K. I remember we sold our beds in the UK for £120 and spent $2000 replacing them.

White good we gave away before we left all had to be replaced and that eats a hole in your pocket.

Our return trip to the UK cost us around $30K after our costs of selling up in Canada 2005, so it expensive moving overseas.

hudd
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:45 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

On the shipping front we are doing half and half (assuming the work permits come through!!). We don't want to be taking our old and knackered stuff (very old fashioned dining room table with matching cabinet and knackered beds) but we do want to take our lounge sofas. I got quotes for taking with and without. Basically to leave behind the stuff that we weren't keen on taking anyway, would save us between £1500-£2000 according to the four quotes we got.

So for us just taking the sofas and then everything else would go into boxes, the quotation for shipping was approx £1700 from memory as we would go into groupage rather than a full container, though it does take longer for stuff to get there, which isn't a huge problem we will send our stuff on its way earlier rather than later as we are keeping our beds here!

I have stripped our wardrobes bare, literally, can't see the point in taking 10 year old clothes that haven't seen the light of day for 9 1/2 years lol. I keep going through the house, I do it in waves, it is amazing how unattached you become to stuff after doing this for a while - first time I did a clear out, I barely got rid of anything but bit by bit I have got rid of a lot of stuff - either to charity, freecycle or by ebaying.

Just another way of looking at it. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing though lots of people will disagree with this.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just dont think a lot of folks are shopping around enough for car insurance?? im baffled with these huge amounts some are paying

when we got here I got an online quote and it was eye watering about $3000 went to the loacl broker and we got vehicles insured for both of us plus all the extras bit like uk fully comp plus extra for med bills on top of that governement provides etc
and it was about $660

now our vehicle is no flash jobby its a 5 year old pontiac van and we are in our 40's so that makes a difference to someone who has not been driving long but my husband has had a DUI all of course was declared to the insurer

even so the difference between $660 and $3500 is staggering!

also perhaps the proviince makes a difference does it????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.