Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many times a year do you go back to the UK?

How many times a year do you go back to the UK?

Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How many times a year do you go back to the UK?

Been here 3 years been back to the uk 26 times on business, only seen the family twice over that period. Heading back in April for family wedding and then my extended family can meeting there Canadian cousin, nephew and Grandson.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

Why do you say this?

I wouldn't say that it makes homesickness worse but going there does make me wonder why I emigrated.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Came here in 1963 and because of cost didn't go for a visit till 1972 visited twice after that, 1977 and 1981.

I'm totally Canadian and apart from my brother and his daughter have no close relatives in the UK. I spent 33 years of my life in the UK and 47 here in Ottawa, my home town.

There are too many interesting places in the world to visit rather than waste it on frequent trips to the UK.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk
Why do you say this?
Because I don't think the outcome of emigrating is very different than the outcome of not emigrating would have been and there's been quite a lot of bother involved.

I have some children, they've grown up and moved on, as best I can tell they're likely to end up in Switzerland, Essex and America, all of which could as well have happened without my being in Canada. I have a nice life now, we have a large dog and live by a park with a river, we can walk to the pub and often go out for curries or kebabs. The house is small and old and getting renovated so we make lots of trips to a big shop decorated in orange and white and to IKEA. It's all good, but all available in England. And there's more choice of beer and cheese and better TV in England. And there's Europe, right there.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:31 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Because I don't think the outcome of emigrating is very different than the outcome of not emigrating would have been and there's been quite a lot of bother involved.

I have some children, they've grown up and moved on, as best I can tell they're likely to end up in Switzerland, Essex and America, all of which could as well have happened without my being in Canada. I have a nice life now, we have a large dog and live by a park with a river, we can walk to the pub and often go out for curries or kebabs. The house is small and old and getting renovated so we make lots of trips to a big shop decorated in orange and white and to IKEA. It's all good, but all available in England. And there's more choice of beer and cheese and better TV in England. And there's Europe, right there.
Would you ever consider selling up in Canada and going back?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Would you ever consider selling up in Canada and going back?
Sure. I was sorely tempted when when last working in Earl's Court.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:38 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. I was sorely tempted when when last working in Earl's Court.
What really keeps you here then?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dollface
What really keeps you here then?
The business. I need the owner of the other half to sell it to me, buy me out, or die. I'd have to be really driven to leave the country before taking on the litigation that would stem from walking away without one of the above.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:50 pm

The business. I need the owner of the other half to sell it to me, buy me out, or die. I'd have to be really driven to leave the country before taking on the litigation that would stem from walking away without one of the above.
stuck between a rock and a hardplace. Maybe one day though........
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:55 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
We are cruising the Caribbean in spring 2012
Where did you book that?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:03 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Where did you book that?
Through RCI, our timeshare exchange company.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:23 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back twice since we moved here in 2005: once with younger son, and once with hubby. Both times I couldn't wait to get back "home" to Canada. Both times I also wept at leaving my parents.

I too think that if it didn't use up all our vacation time and all our finances, an annual trip might be nice (and less stressful), but once all the old ones are gone there will be little pull to go back. There are so many more places to explore!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to Canada in 1989 with my wife (no kids then) and travelled back the the UK once or twice a year until about 1993 when our first child arrived (took her over once as a baby). Moved back to the UK in 1996 (with 2 kids) but moved to the US (with 3 kids) in 1998. Now have 4 kids and have only been back to the UK once since 1998 - that was in 2009 to visit a very sick relative. It's just too expensive to travel with 4 kids and, besides, most of our UK relatives have visited us one or more times in Canada and the US.

I actually regret visiting the UK so often during the Canada years when we were young, free and kidless. In hindsight, we should have travelled to other parts of the world that we've yet to visit (e.g. Australia and New Zealand).
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I would, for the forseeable future, like to travel back to the UK annually. That's purely to keep my daughter connected to her grandparents, aunts and soon to be cousin. Exceptions being when they come to visit us of course.

My (relatively) new job might help in this regard. It seems I must be in Europe before Christmas so I'll get a weekend in the UK out of it at least.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

vagabonding is an unknown quantity at this point

Booking Canadian Affair through the UK office has saved me a fortune this year.
YYZ-MAN 23rd Dec, LGW-YYZ 3rd Jan was $1180 on the Canadian Website. Called the UK and paid 448 quid which equates to $740!!
This will be my 3rd time this year not including last Christmas, but one time was for a funeral.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.