Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many immigrated without visiting first?

How many immigrated without visiting first?

Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many immigrated without visiting first?

We came over and 'did' BC and Alberta in 1995 and 1997 - hence the long-distance love affair and yearning to go back.

Submitted application forms in May 2005, hoping it was all as we had remembered - and came again in Feb 06 just to check it hadn't morphed into some hellhole. It hadn't - but Calgary had changed and grown hugely in those intervening ten years - still liked the general area though !

Came again in Dec 2006 and arriving for good at end of May this year.

Personally, I would not be brave enough to make such a massive move without being pretty sure it was right for us - and as someone else said, with kids in tow, it's imperative to check the place first, even if only a basic tick-list.

We have friends going to Oz later this year, never having visited. In fact I don't know if that is brave or plain foolhardy. I personally think it is way too risky - but each to their own. We'll all know soon enough if it was the right way to do it !!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:40 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Hi, have searched the forums and can't find anything, so apologies if this has already been asked / posted.

How many of you that have immigrated to Canada did so without ever having visited there previously? Was it what you expected? would you do it differently if you could do it again?

The reason I ask is that I am researching immigration to BC but have never been there. I figure that I have nothing to lose (no family ties here in the UK and no kids), and it can't be any worse than the UK... can it?
My husband had never been here before we moved. I had lived in Calgary back in 1990 and he just took my word for it that he would love it! We had been on holiday to Whistler for 3 weeks previously but that was OH only visit to Canada before immigrating! I say go for it
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We visited Canada once before we emigrated. We came to Calgary for a few days then went to Vancouver and finally skiing in whistler for a week.

It was three years from the time we visited to the time we landed. On reflection, even though we did a lot of research from the other side of the pond, we hardly spent anytime here.

As for people that never visit. I think its a little risky, but doable if you have the right attitude. I think it also helps if you have moved around a lot in the past.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

A lot of people have mentioned that it is quite risky moving somewhere without ever having visited previously. Without sounding totally dumb and naive, in what respect is it risky? (if you don't mind me asking).

I think moving anywhere (even within the confines of the UK) takes some adjustment and a settling in period. I moved from the north to the south (UK) 2 years ago, after spending literally every weekend in the south over a period of 5 months. It's taken me about 18 months to settle here and I still don't have any friends or know many people other than work colleagues, so I'm not expecting a move to Canada to be much different. What I guess I'm trying to say is that I could go over, research the area, then still not like it!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

rain426 will become famous soon enoughrain426 will become famous soon enough

I haven't been there yet. My wife has though. We haven't yet started our application, but will be within the next month or so.

Am I worried about deciding to move somewhere without knowing what its like first? Nope. I don't really worry about anything much for very long. Things seem to generally work out for the best.

We will visit before we do move over there, I haven't had a proper holiday in about 15 years, so it will be nice to get away, do some sightseeing, and have a bit of a nose around various places, see what my bones tell me.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people have mentioned that it is quite risky moving somewhere without ever having visited previously. Without sounding totally dumb and naive, in what respect is it risky? (if you don't mind me asking).

What I guess I'm trying to say is that I could go over, research the area, then still not like it!
That is a risk, yes, but sometimes I think it wise to get a feel for a place. What if you headed somewhere and it was way more industrialised or built up that you wanted or were led to believe, or alteratively seemed way more rural than you thought it was? On paper, some places sound lovely as they are described as quaint, picturesque, etc, etc, think holiday brochures ! How many times have those photos in the brochure caused the reality to be a big disappointment. Aesthetically, it might not appeal at all and you'd be depressed from the outset! As a minor example, I am heading near Calgary. If I had not visited before I could not come to the conclusion that the lack of greenery will be compensated (at least for me) by the big skies and that stunning western horizon. It really is dry and brown for a huge chunk of the year - not good for a garden lover like me.

Another thing one really does need to consider with Canada is the weather ! I mean, I had heard about minus 23 degrees, but what does that really feel like? Now I know ! And yes, it is bloomin' chilly, but I survived. Some might truly hate it in all its glory and chilliness, even after having been forewarned.

That really is a small example of what I mean - but if you get a feel for a place, and really like what you see, let alone researching that the various facilities that you might want or need are up to your standards or requirements, I personally feel you give yourself a better chance of plonking yourself in the right kind of place for you and/or your family ...

This moving lark can be quite an expensive business, and blowing (sometimes tens of) thousands on getting it wrong, when investing a few thousand on flights and a trip could make all the difference ...

As I say, just my opinion - if you know yourself well and you know you are a very adaptable person or have done this kind of thing before, then go for it ... (Have you read the Moving Back to the UK forum ??!! )
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I think moving anywhere (even within the confines of the UK) takes some adjustment and a settling in period. I moved from the north to the south (UK) 2 years ago, after spending literally every weekend in the south over a period of 5 months. It's taken me about 18 months to settle here and I still don't have any friends or know many people other than work colleagues, so I'm not expecting a move to Canada to be much different. What I guess I'm trying to say is that I could go over, research the area, then still not like it!
I think its a risk financially. But having said that referring to my own experience, coming over here for a three week holiday didnt show me exactly what it was like to live here. It helped a little. You never know till you get here and start living.

It depends on how risk adverse you are. If you are confident that its going to be a success then just do it.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
We came without visiting first, but it was way back in the mid-70's, when transatlantic travel wasn't as common-place as these days, and you had to be rich to do so. Emigration was pretty much like that in those days, whether it was to Canada or Australia. You jumped into the unknown but with much optimism and the knowledge that you were going for a better future for your kids (the 70's in Britain was very depressing). We knew no-one here in Canada, had limited means, but we made a good go of it. And now I'm homesick after all these years!!

If I were to do it again now, I would have to come to Canada to research first, and several times, I think. And of course there are the advantages afforded with the internet, and world-wide communication being so easy. So no excuses for not knowing what you are getting into.
Same here. Came in 1968 with no prevous visits basically for the same reason (England and my career was stagnant, foreign travel in England rare (apart from France, spain etc ).

Looking back I doubt whether a research visit would have been of any value because of the diverse lifestyles available here. People in Canada do tend to move around quite a bit whether it's because of job transfers or following the dream.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 6:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashman
Same here. Came in 1968 with no prevous visits basically for the same reason (England and my career was stagnant, foreign travel in England rare (apart from France, spain etc ).

Looking back I doubt whether a research visit would have been of any value because of the diverse lifestyles available here. People in Canada do tend to move around quite a bit whether it's because of job transfers or following the dream.

Same here.

I came in 1963, didn't see much of a future for myself in England.

No Internet to research and no chance of coming on a research visit.

You paid your money and took your chances.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant future

When I stepped off the plane in November 2004, I'd never been here before, didn't know a single person in this country, let alone this city and was going to work for a company that I'd only been interviewed by over the phone.

I'm still here two years later, waiting for my PR to come through! I think it depends on your position and what your attitude is to moving. I was in the position where I didn't own anything in the UK, no partner, no kids, and a family to whom I am close but who I would visit and who would visit me - I basically had nothing to lose. I'd been in London for 6 years, after moving there from Manchester, was sick of it, and anywhere would have been better than there at the time. I figured that the worst that could happen was that if I hated Toronto and Canada, I could always go home at least having tried it. I was fortunate in that the opportunity came up here in Toronto, and I've never, ever regretted my decision.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Meg Muzza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I think it would definitly be a risk to immigrate without visiting. Half my entire (extended) family immigrated way back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, and my husband (who is a uk citizen) just emmigrated (got PR in March). I know we could never afford to move back to the uk, and all my family and friends who have immigrated from the uk have said the same. The fact is, that if you sell everything, move and find out its not what you wanted/expected it would be very difficult to move back. I am a canadian and uk citizen and have lived and worked in both countries so i am well aware of the situations on both sides. It is true that no amount of visiting can make you fully aware of what real life is like in a new country, and some people will have made the best decision of their lives and others will regret it from the first hurdle, but with the price of flights now, why not give yourself all the knowledge you can, it'll still be an adventure.....trust me i know!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 4:09 am
Just Joined

richi686 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, have searched the forums and can't find anything, so apologies if this has already been asked / posted.

How many of you that have immigrated to Canada did so without ever having visited there previously? Was it what you expected? would you do it differently if you could do it again?

The reason I ask is that I am researching immigration to BC but have never been there. I figure that I have nothing to lose (no family ties here in the UK and no kids), and it can't be any worse than the UK... can it?
hi
ive spent the last five winters and two summers in BC and finaly decided to stop coming and going...i LOVE the place, wide open spaces, roasting in the summer, freezing in the winter, mountain biking, snowboarding and a whole host of other outdoor activities and friendly people!! what more do you want!!
richi
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

closedaccount999 is an unknown quantity at this point

we immgrated from uk to kelowna bc without a visit and would NEVER EVER do it again or recommend it to anyone with or without kids. its well worth the air fare just for the reasuurance that you have a good vibe about a place.

kyla
Old Dec 1st 2007, 4:15 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am one of those that came to NZ from the UK and had no previous experience of the place. As it turns out we are just weeks away from now doing the same and moving to Nova Scotia! We have spent 4 years in NZ and though it turns out to not be our ideal place to live, we wouldnt trade the experiences and the family time we have shared here. I dont need to move somewhere and it be my perfect longterm stop, it can be the best it can be for 3-5 years, or forever. I know many people who came to NZ before moving and have found that living here has not remotely reflected what that halcion holiday promised. I like adventure and sharing new experiences with our children, it doesnt concern me that we havent researched enough or will be in some way let down. I dont feel we have such high expectations that we will be disappointed. So if you dont have children and life is yours to choose in which direction you want to take it, I say go for it! A few years in Canada, glorious as they may or may NOT be, has got to be better than wondering what if in the UK. Travel to my mind is never a mistake, neither is just trying something new. The more you do it, the more flexible I think you feel. But then we are lucky, we have never had to apply to live and work anywhere for years on end - that sense of *this had better work* is something I have never had. Also, however much you move or travel - wherever you go, there you are. So sometimes we all move and never feel satisfied with what we have when we get to the greener grass......something I have well considered!

Good luck and dont be put off by what someone else might perceive as a risk, its all relative afterall. You might be the kind of person who would just pack a case and be off, with no more cost involved than just the ticket to get there. And if it doesnt suit you, then keep on trucking!

Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Here here....who else has a sense of adventure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.