Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many have emigrated with kids?

How many have emigrated with kids?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:03 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many have emigrated with kids?

did anyone else feel guilty for taking the kids away from the rest of the family? both mine, and my wifes family absolutely dote on our 2 girls, and they'll be crushed when we finally move. both families understand our reasons for going, and are happy for us, but i know that deep down they're gonna be really upset.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:56 am
Just Joined

anolan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
did anyone else feel guilty for taking the kids away from the rest of the family? both mine, and my wifes family absolutely dote on our 2 girls, and they'll be crushed when we finally move. both families understand our reasons for going, and are happy for us, but i know that deep down they're gonna be really upset.
Hi Jericho,
Its a hard one isn't it? I'm in a slightly different situation in that I am Canadian, so all of my family are there, and of course they are thrilled about us going there... but Dh's family is a different story. His only brother already lives abroad and his parents, mainly the MIL piles on an enormous amount of guilt about us taking the grandchildren away. They have the choice to come with us, there is nothing holding them here... but MIL refuses to even consider it. Its all very upsetting, I love them and they are wonderful to our kids, but we want a better life for the children, which is why we are going. MIL doesn't understand at all and cannot understand why we want to leave England. Its very difficult!

Sorry I don't have any advice, just personal experience and some empathy. I keep trying to sell it to them with the idea of great/cheap holidays and lots of fresh air...

Amy
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

we just know that if we dont do, we'll regret it for the rest of our lives. like u say, family can visit whenever they want. im not against them moving over either if they wanted to....
Originally Posted by anolan
Hi Jericho,
Its a hard one isn't it? I'm in a slightly different situation in that I am Canadian, so all of my family are there, and of course they are thrilled about us going there... but Dh's family is a different story. His only brother already lives abroad and his parents, mainly the MIL piles on an enormous amount of guilt about us taking the grandchildren away. They have the choice to come with us, there is nothing holding them here... but MIL refuses to even consider it. Its all very upsetting, I love them and they are wonderful to our kids, but we want a better life for the children, which is why we are going. MIL doesn't understand at all and cannot understand why we want to leave England. Its very difficult!

Sorry I don't have any advice, just personal experience and some empathy. I keep trying to sell it to them with the idea of great/cheap holidays and lots of fresh air...

Amy
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the early stages of planning our jump across the pond. I've done it once already, I'm a New Brunswicker misplaced in England. I moved here with my husband 9 years ago, premarriage and prechildren. Somehow 9 years have slipped away, and although my time in England has been mostly enjoyable, I've decided its time for us to all go 'home'! My main worry is the children, we've got 4, aged 7, nearly 5, 3, and 8 months. I know the younger ones aren't a problem but I worry about how my eldest will settle in... Has anyone emigrated with elementary school kids? How did it work with settling them into the NB or NS school system. I should know all of this being Canadian... but I've been away far too long!

I'm about to send all of our forms off for a family class immigration, which should take about 6 months... kind of scarily fast if you ask me! I'd love for us to end up back in NB, but my other half works in IT (development) and we just aren't sure what the job market will be like in NB, so NS is also possible. Ideally I'd like to become self employed and set up some holiday lets with the money from the sale of our UK house, but we'll see!

Anyway, I'm rambling on, sorry for a long first post. I look forward to reading more and getting to know all of you.... and who knows, maybe seeing a few Brits on the other side of the pond in a few months!

Amy
I can put you intouch with someone who has moved to NB with elementary school kids from Toronto (although they are British).

Just send me a PM and I will check its ok (I cannot think it will be a problem) and connect you.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny what you've said about accents! I've lost my Canadian accent almost completely and I cannot imagine my kids with Canadian accents. It will be really strange to hear them... especially my DD who loves nothing better than making fun of mum's 'weird' way of saying things

Amy
My daughter's trying like crazy to sound Canadian so she fits in with her friends. At home she's still very English, but get her out of the door and she's an all Canadian girl.