Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many British do you meet a week?

How many British do you meet a week?

Old Dec 24th 2014, 7:11 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many British do you meet a week?

I was in the Duty Free shop at Pearson years ago and the lady working there had a distinct Darwin, Lancs. accent. One of the few that I could easily recognize. I asked her if perchance her father worked at Walpamure paint factory which was, in those days, one of the biggest employers in the town. She looked stunned and asked if she knew me. I said no but that I knew she was from "Darren" as they pronounce it. Turned out that in fact he did work there. It was just a guess on my part but she just couldn't figure out how I knew. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was just a guess and left her wondering.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Brits? I try to avoid them wherever possible. If I wanted to be with them, I'd have stayed in the UK.
Thankfully I'm the only Brit here in Kanata, so that's some comfort. Even the wife's not one.
There's very little that's more ridiculously absurd than expat Brits that want to avoid other expat Brits. Its like people who go to "non-touristy" places on holiday.

Last edited by Oink; Dec 24th 2014 at 8:24 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby works with another Brit, there's another who moved over when she was 3 whose daughter is at the same nursery school as my son. One of the other kids at the school bus stop moved here when he was about 5 I think, then a woman at my knitting group, but I haven't been in months so I guess she doesn't count. Apart from them, few and far between.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I would have said I'd met four or five in the three years we've been here (not counting the DandNhill clan), but having started reading this thread before I went out I deliberately refrained from commenting on the obviously South Coast accent of the woman on the till in Sobeys ( but at least she'd have known what I meant if I called it a till.... )
That would be me!
Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working in the doggy world right now. There seem to be quite a few Brits... Yesterday somebody brought his dog for boarding and I couldn't help but comment that he "sounded like me"... he was from 20 miles up the road in the UK! lol

It's nice sometimes to catch up with Brits, we just have some common experiences that we can chat about but I won't make friends with somebody simply because they are British!!!
Old Dec 25th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Have not met any brits yet,but its a small town where we live.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 7:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham and george
Have not met any brits yet,but its a small town where we live.
Oh you will, you really will
Old Dec 25th 2014, 7:57 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There's very little that's more ridiculously absurd than expat Brits that want to avoid other expat Brits. Its like people who go to "non-touristy" places on holiday.
I couldn't agree with you more. When we first came to Canada we tried to go all "native" and only mix with Canadians. Then we realised we were being complete pillocks and we now mix with anyone we like regardless of anything else.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 8:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I was in the Duty Free shop at Pearson years ago and the lady working there had a distinct Darwin, Lancs. accent. One of the few that I could easily recognize. I asked her if perchance her father worked at Walpamure paint factory which was, in those days, one of the biggest employers in the town. She looked stunned and asked if she knew me. I said no but that I knew she was from "Darren" as they pronounce it. Turned out that in fact he did work there. It was just a guess on my part but she just couldn't figure out how I knew. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was just a guess and left her wondering.
But you didn't realize that she was an agent in FL's undercover squad and that you've been under surveillance ever since.

Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Victoria I've bumped into many British people but they tend to older, like 50+. But then it is Victoria and most people are older.

Living in Vancouver it was rare to find that many British people, plenty of Irish people though. The British people I did meet didn't seem too keep on sticking in Vancouver either.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I meet and interact with people from many countries, I find Australians the most annoying.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:59 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I meet and interact with people from many countries, I find Australians the most annoying.
For me it's the hairyback South Africans I can't take to. Luckily I don't come across many on the Island.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Very very few. Insofar and inasmuch that Canadians seem to be really shocked when they hear me talk. Living with a few Irish though, but that's a completely different kettle entirely.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 11:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discocar
I must meet at least 20 to 30 different British people a week. I think the town I have at least has 15 percent British population.
discocar, how long have you lived in Canada?

On the OP, whatever it takes, I shall avoid Brit immigrants. In fact, their mere existence or presence annoys me.

Other than on this forum, they can be switched off click click
Old Dec 31st 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Rockyhill is an unknown quantity at this point

There are about a dozen other Brits in my little office and 2 were in my class at university from the early 90's. We all came over here under different circumstances and only met up once they had emigrated.

Oh, and by the way we are in Kanata.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.