Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long are you given

How long are you given

Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough
Default How long are you given

TO get your medical tests/police certificates done and handed in when asked?

thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long are you given

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
TO get your medical tests/police certificates done and handed in when asked?

thanks in advance.
From memory it's 90 days otherwise they assume you do not want to proceed.
Police certificates seem to take an age and i know some medical practices get quite booked up so the earlier you get it sorted the better.

Regards
Printer
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by printer
Police certificates seem to take an age and i know some medical practices get quite booked up so the earlier you get it sorted the better.

Regards
Printer
I suppose i'm worrying over nothing but is 90 days normally enough to obtain police certificates and medicals?

What is the certificates had to come from another country? If you already have police certificates is there a limit as to how old they can be?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed
I suppose i'm worrying over nothing but is 90 days normally enough to obtain police certificates and medicals?

What is the certificates had to come from another country? If you already have police certificates is there a limit as to how old they can be?
We received our go ahead for medicals at beginning of August and our nearest place were able to fit us in within 2 weeks but i have heard that some quote much longer, we were lucky. I think the police certificates took about 4 weeks.
Cannot say about getting them from other countries though.
We had to have police checks sent in with original application and then when the medical request came 2 years later we had to get them done again.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.

The UK police currently take the full 40 days.

K.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kt0157
Yep.

The UK police currently take the full 40 days.

K.
That's changed a bit, then. I got a reply in two weeks (in 2000). Odd-looking document. I made a photocopy for my own records. The result was quite surprising.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:52 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's changed a bit, then. I got a reply in two weeks (in 2000). Odd-looking document. I made a photocopy for my own records. The result was quite surprising.
Why was it that I was surprised mine had nothing on it when i've never dealt with the police lol.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
This is not necessarily so. Ours did not take 40 days but it says in the information you get when you apply that it can take up to 40 days.
I assume this may depend on what police force you have to apply to, we applied to Thames Valley Police.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume this may depend on what police force you have to apply to, we applied to Thames Valley Police.
Probably true. When I went to the police in Epsom they had a hard time even finding the form I wanted. It wasn't a request they got very often, I suspect.

The letter I got back stated simply that there was no info held on me on the Police National Computer (I took that to mean nothing they were prepared to 'fess up to).

The photocopy was interesting, though. It came out with the word "fraud" printed in large capitals across the whole thing.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

This is not necessarily so. Ours did not take 40 days but it says in the information you get when you apply that it can take up to 40 days.
I got mine a couple of months back and it took almost exactly 40 days. Someone else on this forum had exactly the same experience. I wonder if at peak times they push it right to the edge of the law.

K.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:35 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kt0157
I got mine a couple of months back and it took almost exactly 40 days. Someone else on this forum had exactly the same experience. I wonder if at peak times they push it right to the edge of the law.

K.
Mine, received today, took over 40 days. The reply came from the local constabulary, but the met deals with all requests.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Mine, received today, took over 40 days. The reply came from the local constabulary, but the met deals with all requests.
So they broke the law. Somehow I doubt that calling the police would get much response (but just try selling an amusing T-shirt and see how fast they respond).

K.