Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long to get a driving license?

How long to get a driving license?

Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:49 am
squarepants

Default Re: How long to get a driving license?

You do realise though, that once you get your BC licence, you are going to be a new driver, and your insurance is still going to be high for that reason?

Originally Posted by stavex
Oggy

Thanks very much.... that is really helpful and informative, way above what I expected. I am really grateful

I found out from a broker that they will insure us on UK licences initially, without a surcharge until we get our BC licences, so we won't have to pay exorbitant hire car charges for too long!

Matt

Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
You do realise though, that once you get your BC licence, you are going to be a new driver, and your insurance is still going to be high for that reason?
Hi Squarepants

If someone is an experienced driver and can provide a clean driver's abstract, they will be eligible for up to 40% discount here in BC.

Cheers

Oggy
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:02 am
squarepants

If only that was the case here in Ontario I guess living in BC does have it's pros after all

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Hi Squarepants

If someone is an experienced driver and can provide a clean driver's abstract, they will be eligible for up to 40% discount here in BC.

Cheers

Oggy

Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

If only that was the case here in Ontario I guess living in BC does have it's pros after all
Just one of the many differences when comparing public insurance with private insurance!

Oggy
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:43 am
Delbert

alan dell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Just one of the many differences when comparing public insurance with private insurance!

Oggy

Any info on motorcycle licence.I have a full u.k licence but again it may mean nowt. Whats your insurance company it seems a good deal.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 7:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan dell
Any info on motorcycle licence.I have a full u.k licence but again it may mean nowt. Whats your insurance company it seems a good deal.
Which province alan?

Bike insurance is prohibative to put it mildly. In ontario there are only 3 companies who will touch bikes. My boss has a flawless canadian record for 20+ years, and is paying about $30 a ride in insurance on a 750 sport bike!!! I want to learn, but I am looking at 3k+ per year on an unsexy 500 bike, so its a non starter. Outside of BC bike riding is a 6 month affair at best anyway.

Iain
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:19 am
squarepants

I guess the sexier the bike is, the more the insurance Hope Allan realises that you can't swap bike licences from the UK yet, only US and a couple of countries can do that at the moment, I stand corrected on this.

Am worried about the safety issue of bikes, so am not going to be touching it, I just want a boating licence and to be able to go for some adrenalin rush on the seadoo, when we get it, a lot safer I think, the wife is a better swimmer than I am

Originally Posted by iaink
Which province alan?

Bike insurance is prohibative to put it mildly. In ontario there are only 3 companies who will touch bikes. My boss has a flawless canadian record for 20+ years, and is paying about $30 a ride in insurance on a 750 sport bike!!! I want to learn, but I am looking at 3k+ per year on an unsexy 500 bike, so its a non starter. Outside of BC bike riding is a 6 month affair at best anyway.

Iain

Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:27 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the sexier the bike is, the more the insurance
Dead right, a 750 cruiser is cheeper than a 750 sport bike, and a 900 sport bike is a lot more to insure than a 750 sportbike. But those big hogs and jap cruisers have huge engines, and therefore huge premiums, so a Harley is probably more to insure than a Ducatti, just cos of its displacement. Hate to think what the Hyabusas etc cost to insure
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:42 am
squarepants

I will stick to the mountain bike then, a lot safer, very sexy, and no insurance That is just the bike insurance you are talking about, there is parts to think of, servicing, and gear to wear.

Saw this nincompoop a month ago, on the 400 coming from Barrie, he had running shoes on, a t-shirt, no helmet, and he was cutting through cars, he obviously thought he was being cool, but he looked like a prat

Originally Posted by iaink
Dead right, a 750 cruiser is cheeper than a 750 sport bike, and a 900 sport bike is a lot more to insure than a 750 sportbike. But those big hogs and jap cruisers have huge engines, and therefore huge premiums, so a Harley is probably more to insure than a Ducatti, just cos of its displacement. Hate to think what the Hyabusas etc cost to insure

Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

stavex will become famous soon enough

True, but since I wrote my car off a few months ago, my insurance here would be real high too

It will actually be cheaper for me to get insured in Canada