Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for your container to arrive in Canada ?

How long does it take for your container to arrive in Canada ?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long does it take for your container to arrive in Canada ?

Can't remember whether anyone has put a thread for this on here - so if I just didnt search far enough back please forgive me.

Going to Southern Alberta and just need to know how long it would take from Manchester thereto.

Gaynor
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take for your container to arrive in Canada ?

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Can't remember whether anyone has put a thread for this on here - so if I just didnt search far enough back please forgive me.

Going to Southern Alberta and just need to know how long it would take from Manchester thereto.

Gaynor
Ours took 4 weeks to the day, to go from High Wycombe to Calgary?

The one time that we would have been happier if it took longer
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:50 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Gaynor
Ours went Mcr to Vancouver then by truck to Edm and took an age.
Mainly as it was a part shipment, so sat at the depot in Mcr for a few weeks, then they had a truck drivers strike at the docks here in Canada, so it got held up again.

So, I can't really tell you what the 'standard' time frame is.

But it got to us eventually, safe and sound and Bekins Worldwide at this end were very good.!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

How much did they charge you too ? Have had a quote for 20 foot container sole use for £4,500
Old Nov 6th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

How much did they charge you too ? Have had a quote for 20 foot container sole use for £4,500
Can't remember the exact figure, but by the time that we had added in insurance and extra charges because they had somewhat underestimated the contents of our loft we ended up paying about 8k for a jam packed full 40 ft container
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Guys

White and Co are coming to pack our house tomorrow. Sole use of a 20 ft from the Midlands to Calgary £4270. Be aware though that the cost does not just depend on the size of the container but on how quickly it can be packed, ie, to take, for example, 2 cars in a container will cost less than if you take a house full of books that all need to be individually wrapped

Above price includes 6 weeks storage at either end, packing and unpacking and supply and removal of packing materials.

They have allowed themselves 3 days to pack our house and I understand that the first 2 days are spent wrapping and packing and on the 3rd day the container will arrive and they will load it :scared:

HTH
Old Nov 7th 2006, 7:12 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
White and Co are coming to pack our house tomorrow. Sole use of a 20 ft from the Midlands to Calgary £4270. Be aware though that the cost does not just depend on the size of the container but on how quickly it can be packed, ie, to take, for example, 2 cars in a container will cost less than if you take a house full of books that all need to be individually wrapped

Above price includes 6 weeks storage at either end, packing and unpacking and supply and removal of packing materials.

They have allowed themselves 3 days to pack our house and I understand that the first 2 days are spent wrapping and packing and on the 3rd day the container will arrive and they will load it :scared:

HTH

What's the smallest container you can have? as my flat isn't that big so I dont have that many things and the bulkiest thing I might be taking is my sofa (if I take it) I have other furniture than can be flat packed the main thing is I have a load of cds and dvds.

Emma
Old Nov 7th 2006, 7:53 am
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
What's the smallest container you can have? as my flat isn't that big so I dont have that many things and the bulkiest thing I might be taking is my sofa (if I take it) I have other furniture than can be flat packed the main thing is I have a load of cds and dvds.

Emma
Hi Emma,we had some friends move back to Edmonton from the UK a few months ago.Like you they had lots of CD's and DVD's,what they did was to take them all out of the boxes and put into a file/album.Not explaining this very well ,not sure if they used one of those photo albums where you just slot the photos in or if you can buy an equivalent specifically for discs?? but hopefully you can picture what I'm talking about.Then they just took them on the plane.I have the Excess Baggage Company coming this week to quote me for a full house shipment but they specifically ship or fly individual boxes if thats all you want.
HTH
Tracie
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Emma
20 ft is the smallest one that I am aware of 1200 sq ft. I think that if you have around 600 sq ft to take then you normally "share" a container with others (the shipping company takes your stuff and "stores" it until they can fill a container with others' stuff. It then gets shipped.

I don't know what the "minimum" for groupage is (I doubt there is one) or what the "maximum" would be (before a sole container would be appropriate)

HTH
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:14 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Emma
Like DTLE explained, you can share.

The container that holds my stuff arrived in Toronto a few days ago. It's now on a train to Vancouver where it will be opened and go through customs and my bit will come back to Calgary... probably back by truck. I'm guessing the bulk of the container was destined for Vancouver.

The mover dudes came and packed up my stuff in England (2 cubic metres of books, cds, do-dads, etc) during the first week of September if I'm remembering correctly and I should be receiving my stuff in Calgary in a week and a bit. Hopefully!

So, to answer your question, just over 2 months in my case.

It's been quite hard doing without some of my things that I didn't realised I used so much until there weren't around - my favourite chopping knife and stir-frying bamboo flipper thing, my dictionary, my calculator - well I could go on.... IMO for a few days try to pay attention to various objects you use and maybe wonder if you can live without them for a couple of months.

On the flip side, a lot of stuff I thought I'd miss I can't even remember!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

denmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nice

Guys

we were charged £2300 for a 20ft container,sole use by Godiva in liverpool. we packed ourseleves, and nothing broken! This was about the best price ive seen it took 2 weeks.liverpool/windsor ont.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

white and co portsmouth charged us 4025.00 for a 40ft container and insurance. they allowed 3 days to pack and load but took 2 days as i had done alot when we sold our house and moved to a rental. that included i month storage at portsmouth and delivery , unpacking and disposal of rubbish.

very nice guys , four of them , seemed to take care when wrapping , (lots of tea and biscuits ) i could not take the cane furniture i had and did not sell it so one of the guys took it , and all the rubbish i did not want or could not sell.

i await and see how it travelled
Old Nov 7th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dentaltech
i could not take the cane furniture i had and did not sell it so one of the guys took it , and all the rubbish i did not want or could not sell.
I'm intruiged. Was this a personal choice or some import restriction? we had some that the packers just wrapped up with the rest of our stuff without mentioning anything.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 9:07 pm
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

Ours was packed on 26th Oct and is due to arrive in Vancouver on 20th Nov. This is Internatioal Moving Co and cost £7000 for 40 foot container.
This is ellsie here, sorry forgot to change the name!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We have Whites going in this Thursday/Friday, they have quoted for 20 foot container and 2 days to pack etc. Selby to Edmonton - £3275 plus insurance which we were told will be 3%.

We think this is pretty good as they have to clear two attics.

We haven't been told how long it will take, so at the moment I have no idea if it's going into storage once it arrives or in a new house....if we find one!!!

I'll report back once it all arrives.

Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.