Reload this Page >

How long does it take???

How long does it take???

Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long does it take???

Just to add here...
Applications from the UK for permanent residence will, at the mo, take about 3.1/2++ years. Have you considered coming over on a work permit? I know that its a gamble but it will cut your waiting time down to about 1 year - max. We have gone down this route and are pleased with our progress.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not wishing to be controversial or anything (you know me, I never do that). But, why would the two of you spend 23 years defending the Nation of Britain in Her Majesty's Forces and then emigrate as soon as you get demobbed? I mean, wouldn't it have been simpler just to move abroad two decades ago? Might have done less damage as well.
No Comment
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Madhouse
brit_in_fitzroy - were you working on a visa for a Defence contractor?
yes, I was recruited from UK while I was still in, this was back in 98 when the Fast Track Program was still around. This has now changed to PNP and I just heard on the radio this morning that PNP is coming to Ontario very shortly.

If you have skills that cannot be found locally, then you have a good chance of getting in - You reference to having PR first? where did that come from? was it from a company or on here? Maybe I can have a chat with my HR department to see what the current policy is for my company and shed some light.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asbachuk
Hi all, I am a 42 yo soldier who is about to leave the army after 23 years service, I am currently an IT manager and looking at embarking into a Project Management Career for the next couple of years.

I have been trying to make sense of the plethora of websites that are out there and I am getting very confused, I understand the fees have been reduced from $975 to $490, which is always good, but i also read somewhere that applications submitted in may-jun 2004 are only just being considered!!! I am not being naive I knew the process would take time, but what is a typical waiting time from submitting your application to actually being accepted and receiving your visas/paperwork?

Any and all advice would be gratefully accepted plus any tips on decent websites, where you can get a basic, say it as it is breakdown of what the overallprocess entails.

I have just had a thought (as you can see from my previuos post on this thread ......It's been a long time comming ) I worked for the civi service in the UK and my WO1 was putting an application in to the Aussie Army, if he was successful he would serve 2 years for them and then get automatic citizenship (as I remember) Is it worth seeing if the Canadian Army would do something similar?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

The Canadian Forces do accept applications from overseas. Details can be found at:

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/reso...en.aspx?bhcp=1

However, from what I have found out from someone who is following this route, the CF do not make it as easy for you as the Aussies. Whereas the Australians will do all the paperwork for you and pay your relocation, the CF will give you a HRSDC approved job offer, which you can use to get your PR application fast-tracked. A viable route, but no easier or faster (probably slower in fact!) than applying to a defence contractor.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brit_in_fizroy
yes, I was recruited from UK while I was still in, this was back in 98 when the Fast Track Program was still around. This has now changed to PNP and I just heard on the radio this morning that PNP is coming to Ontario very shortly..
True, but unfortunately I don't fit the list of desired occupations in the Ontario PNP.

If you have skills that cannot be found locally, then you have a good chance of getting in - You reference to having PR first? where did that come from? was it from a company or on here? Maybe I can have a chat with my HR department to see what the current policy is for my company and shed some light.

Thales require you to be a Canadian Cititzen or a Permanent Resident of Canada. However, I have looked around since your post and have not found this stipulation on the websites of other big companies. Thanks for the steer.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madhouse
The Canadian Forces do accept applications from overseas. Details can be found at:

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/reso...en.aspx?bhcp=1

However, from what I have found out from someone who is following this route, the CF do not make it as easy for you as the Aussies. Whereas the Australians will do all the paperwork for you and pay your relocation, the CF will give you a HRSDC approved job offer, which you can use to get your PR application fast-tracked. A viable route, but no easier or faster (probably slower in fact!) than applying to a defence contractor.
As I said it was just a thought, incidently when you have a job offer approved by the HRSDC at the time you put your PR application in, it makes it a load faster ( i believe from reading others posts about 8 months) than getting an approved job offer after putting your PR in (in that case, in our experience it doesn't speed things up one iota).
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Try to target the defence industry, your knowledge and experience will be very attractive. There are many over here, Thales (comms), Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics etc etc, just google defence companies in Ontario and look for careers. You may find your army experience will carry more weight than your other quals. Pension can come over tax free from UK but you have to declare it here - no escape there.
The following link will take you to a list of DND contractors:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc...agid=020007012
From there you can link to their websites.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

Interesting thread

Given me food for thought as I currently work for a defence contractor, the project i am on is in the UK but some of the skills must be transferable.

The tricky bit will be trying to find out about a transfer without messing on my own doorstep........

Might have a look at the airbase at Comox on VI when we are over in July....see if i can spot any signs with the company logo on them

Good luck guys

Adbru
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Englishman2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asbachuk
Hi all, I am a 42 yo soldier who is about to leave the army after 23 years service, I am currently an IT manager and looking at embarking into a Project Management Career for the next couple of years.

I have been trying to make sense of the plethora of websites that are out there and I am getting very confused, I understand the fees have been reduced from $975 to $490, which is always good, but i also read somewhere that applications submitted in may-jun 2004 are only just being considered!!! I am not being naive I knew the process would take time, but what is a typical waiting time from submitting your application to actually being accepted and receiving your visas/paperwork?

Any and all advice would be gratefully accepted plus any tips on decent websites, where you can get a basic, say it as it is breakdown of what the overallprocess entails.
I obtained my landed status in Dec 06. Like you I was also from 23 years Military Service which is not taken into consideration.
If you need a good low priced immigration lawyer drop me a line.
Good luck
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

TRAX123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, can someone please tell me where to find the list of desired occupations in the Ontario PNP.

Many Thanks
Tracey
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Englishman2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Written by Helen Burnett
Friday, 01 December 2006
The province’s new pilot provincial nominee program, aimed at attracting newcomers who meet Ontario’s labour shortages, is set to be rolled out soon.

Minister Mike Colle says the goal for Ontario is to have a defined, pronounced role in immigration and to match needs to immi-gration.However, Ontario’s minister of citizenship and immigration says there should also be a modification of the points system to match labour market needs.

Mike Colle, Ontario’s first minister of citizenship and immigration, told the Law Society of Upper Canada’s 14th annual immigration law summit in Toronto last month that Ontario’s pilot provincial nominee program, similar to those already offered by other provinces, will be underway shortly, with consultations taking place in the weeks to come — but providing no definite timeline.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:34 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Just to add here...
Applications from the UK for permanent residence will, at the mo, take about 3.1/2++ years. Have you considered coming over on a work permit? I know that its a gamble but it will cut your waiting time down to about 1 year - max. We have gone down this route and are pleased with our progress.
Less than a year to meds.... OMG... better get my application in quick smart!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TRAX123
Hi, can someone please tell me where to find the list of desired occupations in the Ontario PNP.

Many Thanks
Tracey
Here is the list:
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/epb/lmd/fw...L_200611_e.pdf

Further information on Ontario Immigration can e found at:
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/eng...fore_howto.asp
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone thought of moving to Germany and apply from there?
The processing time in Berlin seems to be 8 months.

8 MONTHS!

I could seriously consider moving to Hanover where I have plenty of friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.