Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how long did it take?

View Poll Results: how long have you been in Canada?
0-1 year
15.00%
1-3 years
30.00%
3-5 years
10.00%
5-10 years
12.50%
10+ years
2.50%
still waiting patiently to get here
30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

how long did it take?

Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: how long did it take?

I was settled in - the day I stepped off the plane!

I had a career in the UK, that meant face to face with the Public on Mass every working day.

That started in 1971 for over 30 years.

In that time the UK evolved into a "place to escape from as soon as possible".

Here in NB, they are more British then the British!

I will never ever miss anything about the UK - other then my immediate family - some of whom are in the process of "escapin` from the UK".
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I tried the Loblaws frozen lamb steaks. Very expensive and tasteless.

Apparently there's a very good organic butchers on Church in TO that has very good lamb.

I intend to try it out the next time I drive into the city with a car...
Duly inspired, we went here last night: http://www.lamaquette.com/ I had the Australian rack of lamb. Very good and an easy walk to Union station.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:19 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
Ok i messed up a little on the last poll about age. So i thought i would ask how long people have been in Canada?

How long did it take to settle?

or is there such a time?

have you settled?

what would you suggest to help others with the re settlement process?

are you here daily for your fix until you can get here?
Am still waiting, though I'm lucky I already have Citizenship because of my Dad! I'm just waiting for my passport to come back, and then off I go These forums are really informative, you find out all sorts of info that's not in the books!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

A little over 18 months now and on balance have settled pretty well. Do get the odd bout of home sickness...but less so these days. I try to be positive and make no secret of my contentment with life in Canada, warts and all. Long may that continue. Employment was not a pre-requisite in my case otherwise things I am sure may well have a different complexion. Got to say I like the Rural way of life, have great neighbours and don't mind the winters at all. Though I do miss Bachelors Processed peas, a good curry and my mates pub in Cheshire. A good (Dare I say it) English Country Pub would be the icing on my cake.

Yes..'Brits' do tend to be viewed as 'misery guts' by many unfortunately, which encourages me to try and be as positive as I can. I am sure I fail at times...but keep working at it..
I am afraid City Life would be the death of my inner peace... ..so the occasional smell of cow shite (providing its in a field) is more than acceptable...

On balance, I don't miss much at all about the UK...I did not 'dislike' it as such...just prefer here so much more! Each to their own I say...best to all
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Hence why I think I'm suffering from a mild bout of homesickness. Normally I'm quite happy to have veal instead these days...

Try a place called The Grand Chalet, on Wednesday night they have something called Spiducci and it's little lamb skewers and they are great. Just go straight North on 25 (between 4th and Bronte) from Dundas and when the road ends go left and it's on your left hand side about 2 building along. It's an Italian place.

Nicanjoe
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:46 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
Try a place called The Grand Chalet, on Wednesday night they have something called Spiducci and it's little lamb skewers and they are great. Just go straight North on 25 (between 4th and Bronte) from Dundas and when the road ends go left and it's on your left hand side about 2 building along. It's an Italian place.

Nicanjoe

Wooo hooo... do they have mint sauce though ???
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Wooo hooo... do they have mint sauce though ???
Wouldn't count on it, try it without first, it's really good.

Nicanjoe