Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long can you stay out of canada

How long can you stay out of canada

Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

sue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud of
Default How long can you stay out of canada

Does anyone know how long you can stay out of canada when you have permanent residency status (landed immigrant). My son (18yrs) is going back to england for a few months and want to make sure he can get back in when he comes back!!

Cheers
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can you stay out of canada

Originally Posted by sue8899
Does anyone know how long you can stay out of canada when you have permanent residency status (landed immigrant). My son (18yrs) is going back to england for a few months and want to make sure he can get back in when he comes back!!

Cheers
In general terms as long as he maintains two years out of any five year period, then PR status is maintained. For citizenship you need to be here for three years out of the four before you apply.

I dont think he needs to worry. Does he have his PR card? Thats probably a bigger deal getting back in, and even then something of a technicality if he has a UK passport.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

sue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud of

Thanks, yes he does have his PR card. Thats good I thought it ws 6 months for some reason then you had to come back into canada!
Cheers

Originally Posted by iaink
In general terms as long as he maintains two years out of any five year period, then PR status is maintained. For citizenship you need to be here for three years out of the four before you apply.

I dont think he needs to worry. Does he have his PR card? Thats probably a bigger deal getting back in, and even then something of a technicality if he has a UK passport.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes he does have his PR card. Thats good I thought it ws 6 months for some reason then you had to come back into canada!
Cheers
I think it used to be something like that, but its been two out of five for a while now.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
I think I read somewhere that your provincial medical coverage stops if you are non-resident in the province for more than 6 months.

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Taken - 28th May 2006
Medical Received - 4 July 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
PPR - 14 Aug 2006 !!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I think it used to be something like that, but its been two out of five for a while now.
The original poster's son should bear in mind that the time outside Canada will not count for Canadian citizenship purposes.

Also, if he stays away "longer than expected" and loses his PR (as lots of people do) he will get little or no sympathy from CIC.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:59 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

So if you stay for 3 out of 4 years you can then apply for Citizenship?

Once you have Citizenship are you still required to stay 2 out of every 5 years?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H143

Once you have Citizenship are you still required to stay 2 out of every 5 years?
No, no restrictions AFAIK

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Taken - 28th May 2006
Medical Received - 4 July 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
PPR - 14 Aug 2006 !!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H143

You're free to come and go as you please when you're a citizen. My father left in 1939, and returned for the first time in 2006

(although not everyone who's out the country that long will have retained their citizenship, he has...)
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:36 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
My father left in 1939, and returned for the first time in 2006
he thought he'd left the oven on.