Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to import alcohol into Canada?

Wikiposts

How to import alcohol into Canada?

Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:28 am
Just Joined

son_of_sid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to import alcohol into Canada?

I am relocating to St.Johns, Newfoundland in March/ April. I have a reasonably sized wine collection (c.100 bottles) that I would like to take with me. Most of this wine was acquired in France and I have not kept any receipts/ invoices. I have done a lot of research on a number of Canadian and UK immigration and tax websites and the conclusion is that if you want to bring alcohol over 1.5 litres into Canada you have to pay tax/ duty.

The questions that I cannot find an answer to anywhere are:

How much/ what rate of tax/ duty must I pay?
How is this calculated (eg x% X what it cost to acquire, or X current replacement cost in the UK, or X current replacement cost in France, or X current replacement cost in Canada)
How do I import it?
Who do I inform?
Who do I pay the tax/ duty to?
If the tax is Goods & Services Tax (GST) should I include or exclude the equivalent UK/ French tax (VAT/ TVA)?

I emailed some Canadian government agency just before Christmas and received a pleasant response to the effect that they will look into this for me but I have heard nothing since despite emailing a reminder to them late January.

My preference would be to export the wine to Canada but an alternative would be to sell it before I leave. Anybody interested in buying c.100 bottles of fine French wine?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:22 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to import alcohol into Canada?

This is largely a provincial matter so you should check out the excise tax situation for that province. They must have a website.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by son_of_sid
My preference would be to export the wine to Canada but an alternative would be to sell it before I leave. Anybody interested in buying c.100 bottles of fine French wine?
or you could just have a really great leaving party!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by son_of_sid
I
Finally an interesting post. I'm in Canada but also have a house in France so it's not impossible I could be part of a solution.

If you post twice more you can use the PM function to tell me what you've got and what your valuation would be.

Cheers.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

the bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura about

We imported a few crates when we moved here in 2009, and it is much cheaper than you think! On average, it cost us about £1 per bottle, so it is well worth it. You need to get in touch with LCBO [who are really helpful] and they will guide you through it. You only need to fill in one form that you will give to the shipping company and that's it.

Enjoy your wine!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
We imported a few crates when we moved here in 2009, and it is much cheaper than you think! On average, it cost us about £1 per bottle, so it is well worth it. You need to get in touch with LCBO [who are really helpful] and they will guide you through it. You only need to fill in one form that you will give to the shipping company and that's it.

Enjoy your wine!
The OP is heading for Newfoundland so the LCBO won't be right. I'm sure though that there is the equivalent thing in NFL.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

the bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The OP is heading for Newfoundland so the LCBO won't be right. I'm sure though that there is the equivalent thing in NFL.
Sorry ..... still learning!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Contact the Newfoundland Liquor Corp, they control all alcohol related matters in the province: http://www.nfliquor.com/
I believe they have some info on their site about personal imports. Probably worth a call or email.

Welcome to The Rock by the way (when you get here). There is a small BE community here. Anything you need just shout.

AX

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Feb 11th 2011 at 11:49 am.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:38 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Seems pretty wasteful and cruel to alcohol to have it shipped all the way to Canada, in my opinion. Anything wrong with the liquor stores in Canada...or even better, home brew?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Seems pretty wasteful and cruel to alcohol to have it shipped all the way to Canada, in my opinion. Anything wrong with the liquor stores in Canada...or even better, home brew?
I did think long and hard before I put them through the journey. Made sure they had fresh water and air holes You will be pleased to hear they have settled in nicely!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, how selfish can you be? You are willing to put all that wine-which has just been separated from its nice cool cellar-on an incredibly long, loud, scary plane ride, alone, cooped up in a little crate, just so YOU can get wine from the exact Oddbins YOU want? Forget getting wine shipped in from the UK, someone who has that much disregard for the health of a bottle shouldn't own ANY wine. Maybe a can of lager. Maybe.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Wow, how selfish can you be? You are willing to put all that wine-which has just been separated from its nice cool cellar-on an incredibly long, loud, scary plane ride, alone, cooped up in a little crate, just so YOU can get wine from the exact Oddbins YOU want? Forget getting wine shipped in from the UK, someone who has that much disregard for the health of a bottle shouldn't own ANY wine. Maybe a can of lager. Maybe.
Worry ye not .... they had a slow, soft journey on a cruise liner - spent most of their time lazing by the pool and taking the occasional dip. Made their labels a bit soggy mind, but luckily they were still identifyable. They are now enjoying their new life in a deep dark basement cold store living happily ever after.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We consumed some of ours and gave the rest away before leaving as presents....and a couple of the best bottles .....accidentaly got packed by the movers...
cheers
Jerry
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:53 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't often find you very funny .... but this really made me giggle having just read the pup thread!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

100 plus bottles

I will get the bbq warmed up and ready for you coming and seeing as your supplying the wine I will supply the beef and the salad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.