Reload this Page >

How good/bad is a basement

How good/bad is a basement

Old Jul 6th 2004, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How good/bad is a basement

Hye,

Like most other immigrants we are looking for a place to stay. We have got couple offers for basement apartments. We are interested in them because we are low on funds, while still looking for jobs. We would like to have an idea first so that we don't waste time while in Toronto checking these out.

So, how bad are these apartments? Are they totally devoid of natural light and air. Will it be colder during the winter and hotter during the summer? We are particularly concerned as we have a 5 year old son.

Any suggestions/comments/advice?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:16 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Having experienced a basement first hand, I would never do it again!

You can hear every footstep from above, and even converstations. Most basements have a furnace too, and they can be noisy. For us, noise was a bigger issue than lack of light.

One benefit was it was nice and cool in the summer. Also remember that not all basements were created equal - some have bigger windows, higher ceilings, etc.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How good/bad is a basement

Not sure about winter but in summer they are definitely cooler. I wouldn't have thought they would be colder in winter as they usually work off the same central heating system to the rest of the house but I'm basing my knowledge on older hourses. Most basements have high up windows that are quite small so you do get some daylight. Some houses are built slightly on a hill so that the basements actually have patio doors to the back garden.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Hello there,

I live in a basement apt. once in the US, and I would NEVER do it again. Besides the temperature changes, and the noise from upstairs, it even had a smell of mold. You get used to the smell after a while, but it's the side effects that bothered me more. I was unhealthy the whole time I lived there.

For the sake of your 5 year old boy, don't move into a basement. I mean what's the point of seeking a better life, if you are going to move backwards.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

We lived in a basement apartment for six longggg months. It was like living in a cave!!

The actual apartment was nice, but the lack of light drove me crazy. In winter time it really is awful, when high snowbanks blocking your light for four months. We live in Moncton BTW.

Yup, very depressing. Funnily enough I got used to the furnace after a while, but the darkness I hated.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:38 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Its amazing the sheer number of basement apartments you can get in Calgary alone. Its all about the revenue for the landlord, but it gets silly when its almost impossible to find an entire house for rent - because most of them are split!

Having lived in a basement before now, I'd avoid living on a 'main floor' of a house too, simply because I'd be worried about upsetting the people downstairs every time I go to the fridge for a beer. Also having a 2 year old who darts from one side of the room to the other and uses jumping as a method of propulsion, it wouldn't be pretty.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

We have been living in the same basement suite now for the last 2 years. It is cool in the summer and quite cosey in the winter. Plenty of light in all rooms (all have windows), although noise from upstairs can sometimes be annoying and our landlord can look staight into our living room when ever he enters upstairs.

Other than that cant complain, we have access to a large garden, pay 700 bucks a month all inclusive for 2 bedroom, dishwasher, shared laundry )included), cable internet and TV included.

We only pay for phone on top of rent.