Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to go about getting a job while in UK?

How to go about getting a job while in UK?

Old Jul 28th 2018, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to go about getting a job while in UK?

How would my husband go about getting a job offer while being in the UK? A lot of the jobs I've seen on indeed say no sponsership or must be already able to work in Canada.

He's looking in the Computer Programmer/Developer sector but I just don't know the best way to go about it. Is it better to contact a workplace directly? Or are there any other good job sites I could look on?

We're scoring about 416 on the CRS scale for EE and I think a job offer is going to help massivley.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to go about getting a job while in UK?

Put simply, he needs to get over there and knock on doors.

Or, for a less simple explanation, grab a cuppa and get reading - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

HTH.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

How do you know or find out which doors to knock on?
Old Jul 28th 2018, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova
Have you read the numerous Wiki articles linked to above?
Old Jul 28th 2018, 8:43 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Employers in his industry in the city/cities you wish to move to who might be in need of his skills.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

No Sponsorship for Indeed is an employers option - As an advertiser with Indeed we can sponsor our ads to getting better visibility on searches - Has nothing to do with immigrants

Thereafter - We will not even responded to an applicant who is not in the area and ready to start work

Get yourselves an Immigration Lawyer (in Canada) and ensure you are applying on the correct program for your status

When we first applied we were on the wrong program (whichever it was for points) and went with the Provincial Nominee Program and where whisked in.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
No Sponsorship for Indeed is an employers option - As an advertiser with Indeed we can sponsor our ads to getting better visibility on searches - Has nothing to do with immigrants

Thereafter - We will not even responded to an applicant who is not in the area and ready to start work

Get yourselves an Immigration Lawyer (in Canada) and ensure you are applying on the correct program for your status

When we first applied we were on the wrong program (whichever it was for points) and went with the Provincial Nominee Program and where whisked in.

Sorry but I have to disagree with this advice.

There is no need to pay for an Immigration Consultant unless you have a complex background situation due to criminality / ill health or multiple marriages etc., - all the information you need can be found on the official website and from advice that you can get for free from experienced professionals and those that have been through the process themselves, right here. An Immigration Consultant will cost thousands of dollars that could be better used as proof of funds or to pay for a recce trip to job hunt - or for when you move over.

Do read the wiki on job hunting and immigration. Use the CRS calculator Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry) and post a breakdown of your results to a new thread in the Immigration forum - (assume for the calculator that you have top marks for English language testing). There are a lot of different routes to PR - so tell us about yourself, what you do, what education level you have, what qualifications... and let us help you. You could also look at the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Project - IT is one of the in demand professions - this is an old post but have a look at their website as they are approved for the Global Talent Stream . Global Talent Stream - we have IT vacancies and there's also BC PNP tech pilot - https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 30th 2018 at 4:29 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info. I have done a lot of research everywhere on the internet and haven't just come here and asked the question straight away hoping to get all the answers straight away. I was hoping that someone in my field might be able to help with the best way they got in to the field.

I'll post my scores in the Immigration forum, Thank you.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 12:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info. I have done a lot of research everywhere on the internet and haven't just come here and asked the question straight away hoping to get all the answers straight away. I was hoping that someone in my field might be able to help with the best way they got in to the field.

I'd suggest sticking to the OFFICIAL websites (i,e, Immigration and Citizenship Canada and any Provincial Govt. websites) and here.

You haven't said what 'your field' is - only that your husband is looking for a computer programming/development role.. but not his NOC code or actual job title. Perhaps be more specific then I'm sure we have a few members that have been down that route.

Old Jul 31st 2018, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT in downtown Toronto. Best way to get a job is update your Linnkedin profile, get a Canadian address and sim and get over here and network. Applying for a job from the UK is a waste of time and effort. You need to meet the people face to face. Send me your cv/ resume and I can put the word out among my contacts.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Sorry but I have to disagree with this advice.

There is no need to pay for an Immigration Consultant unless you have a complex background situation due to criminality / ill health or multiple marriages etc.,

I'll not argue any opinion - For us the results were Night and Day compared to our research and reading up on all we could. I stick by what worked for us.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 3:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
I'll not argue any opinion - For us the results were Night and Day compared to our research and reading up on all we could. I stick by what worked for us.

Understood, but the process and options are very different now than they were 16 years ago, it certainly seemed a lot more complex then. Whilst that is what worked for you, it's an expense that is unnecessary for most now that the process has been simplified.

Onwards and upwards
Old Jul 31st 2018, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glendem4

I work in IT in downtown Toronto. Best way to get a job is update your Linnkedin profile, get a Canadian address and sim and get over here and network. Applying for a job from the UK is a waste of time and effort. You need to meet the people face to face. Send me your cv/ resume and I can put the word out among my contacts.
Thank you for that I'll sort his CV out and send it over to you.

You haven't said what 'your field' is - only that your husband is looking for a computer programming/development role.. but not his NOC code or actual job title. Perhaps be more specific then I'm sure we have a few members that have been down that route.
He falls under about 4 which is annoying. 2172, 2173, 2174, 2175. Which i suppose is good in a way as it allows him to go for more type of jobs.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 10:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

He falls under about 4 which is annoying. 2172, 2173, 2174, 2175. Which i suppose is good in a way as it allows him to go for more type of jobs.
You need to find the one that fits his job best. If he tries to claim a NOC code when there is another one that is a better match, his application will be rejected. Look at the opening paragraph of each description, plus the 'main duties' listed and find the one where he does the most duties.

HTH.