Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How far do you drive to get to work...?

How far do you drive to get to work...?

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:28 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far do you drive to get to work...?

20km drive into downtown vancouver - takes 25mins
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Wow!
Lots of different times/distances travelled!
Some of them made me laugh, esp. the ones going from one floor in the house to the other to get to the home office....and the pit stop for the wazz....very funny!!

dbb - you have a crazy commute!! I thought mine was going to be a long way but you made mine look like a walk in the park! How long you been doing that? Do you hate it now?!

My current job is only 3km away, so changing to 40km will be a wake up call!!
But have to do it to earn better money and better future job prospects.
Maybe if it works out well, I'll move closer (east towards Mississauga) to ease the commute times.

Thanks guys...I enjoyed reading all the posts!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
So I was thinking.....

After just landing a new job in my chosen field, which starts next week, my commute time/distance will be roughly 45mins/40ish km with 'moving traffic' and likely using the 407. If I use the QEW/403 it'll definately be longer time wise, and about 50km.

So I wondered, how far do you all travel to get to work?

Sometimes I think I'm mad for taking on a job in Mississauga considering the congestion, but my plan was to get a good job here, and I think I just found it, so if it all works out I'll eventually move closer to reduce the travel time.

A 15 min walk to work.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be 5 seconds from bedroom to home office. New contract has me in the office so i drive 10 miles in about an hour

Last edited by el_richo; Mar 23rd 2010 at 10:59 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
dbd - you have a crazy commute!! I thought mine was going to be a long way but you made mine look like a walk in the park! How long you been doing that? Do you hate it now?!
That's the tip of the iceberg. Consider a recent Friday. I woke up in Toronto, drove to the farm (75miles), let the dog out to pee, drove to the non-downtown job (60 miles), drove to the farm to collect the cat(60 miles), drove to a suburb to collect the child(60 miles), drove downtown to drop off the cat(10 miles), drove back to the farm(75 miles). I do the downtown-farm-job morning loop once a week or so.

I've been doing approximately this for three years. For the first year and a half I drove downtown every day. One day I forgot something and did it all twice.

I hated it from day one. I get no pleasure from driving in Canada. It's also rather an expensive way to go about living. Petrol, wear and tear (110,000 miles on a three year old car) and the steady stream of speeding tickets add up. And then there are the lectures about my enormous carbon footprint.

But, and I suspect few posters can say this, I've seen a donkey castrated and I've chased a herd of escaped equines across fields in the dead of night. You can't say I haven't lived.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But, and I suspect few posters can say this, I've seen a donkey castrated and I've chased a herd of escaped equines across fields in the dead of night. You can't say I haven't lived.
I saw 2 fruit flys having sex in a frog tank the other day
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Straight or gay?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
With each other, or frogs?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:39 am
Beep

Straight or gay?
I couldn't tell but looking at the lack of interest of the mounted party, i would say straight
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

45 mins (no, not fruit fly sex, commuting).
That includes a detour for daycare drop off. Without that it's about 25-30 in rush hour from Fall River to downtown Halifax - its about 25km
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

35km, takes between 25-35 minutes. Takes about 40% of the time to get to the 401, and the rest is 401 against traffic.

Beats my commute in England - 1 - 1.5 hours in the car, 15 minute walk, 20 minutes on a train, 15 minute walk, then in reverse in the evening. Too many fail factors - traffic meant I missed the train, bomb scare in New Street meant I'd get stuck at the station, etc.

And then today, I'm working from home, so getting to work involves swinging by the kitchen for tea, then sprawling on the couch with my laptop.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
35km, takes between 25-35 minutes. Takes about 40% of the time to get to the 401, and the rest is 401 against traffic.

Beats my commute in England - 1 - 1.5 hours in the car, 15 minute walk, 20 minutes on a train, 15 minute walk, then in reverse in the evening. Too many fail factors - traffic meant I missed the train, bomb scare in New Street meant I'd get stuck at the station, etc.

And then today, I'm working from home, so getting to work involves swinging by the kitchen for tea, then sprawling on the couch with my laptop.
An initially short drive gets longer and longer as Australian Main Roads are obsessed with traffic lights.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
An initially short drive gets longer and longer as Australian Main Roads are obsessed with traffic lights.
Jeez, that's true here too. I think planners must panic if you can go 300 yards without traffic lights.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Jeez, that's true here too. I think planners must panic if you can go 300 yards without traffic lights.
Roundabouts and draining boards, fundamental building blocks of a civilized society almost completely absent in Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:58 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts and draining boards, fundamental building blocks of a civilized society almost completely absent in Canada.
They've decided to start sticking in roundabouts here - fiver says I see someone driving round it the wrong way within a week of it opening....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.