Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

There is presently a strike on so it is not normally possible to exchange a UK license for an Ontario one.

But it looks like you can do it at the Department of Transportation. All the normal requirements, for documentation and driver history, apply.

Address is apparently
777 Bay Street
Toronto
(no phone)

Hours are apparently:
M Tu We Fr: 8-5pm
Thurs: 8-7pm.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 27th 2009 at 6:02 pm. Reason: What does this have to do with Canadian Immigration ... thread moved
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:50 am
krn
Forum Regular

krn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

thats usefull info...... planning to go there tomorrow...... plans to buy a car have been put on hold because of this ....
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:56 am
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by krn
thats usefull info...... planning to go there tomorrow...... plans to buy a car have been put on hold because of this ....
Best to get there early if you can, the queue gets pretty long
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:16 am
krn
Forum Regular

krn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the roughkrn is a jewel in the rough

thanks ... is it 0800 or 0830 that the doors open,,,, website says 0830am
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

My MPP's office said 8. But they may well be wrong. Please let us know how it went.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:13 pm
MSM
Forum Regular

MSM will become famous soon enough

I did the exchange there 3 weeks ago. Got there about 11am and waited about 45 mins, then all it took was another 15 mins including vision test.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you have to give up the UK license?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bewillow
Thats up to you.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:34 pm
krn
Forum Regular

went there today at 1030am,, vision test , hand in your photocard license and do a vision test, fill in some tickswaited and sign,, took a photo all in all two hours despite receptionist telling me four hours wait... ,,,, they give us a temporary licence ... within 4 weeks we should receive the five year licence...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is presently a strike on so it is not normally possible to exchange a UK license for an Ontario one.

But it looks like you can do it at the Department of Transportation. All the normal requirements, for documentation and driver history, apply.

Address is apparently
777 Bay Street
Toronto
(no phone)

Hours are apparently:
M Tu We Fr: 8-5pm
Thurs: 8-7pm.
I went this morning and was there when it opened at 8am and there were still about 50 people ahead of me!

I had to wait about 30 minutes before being seen which wasnt too bad. And I was at the desk for about 5 minutes before being given my temporary licence (the card comes in the mail in 4 weeks apparently). It cost $75.

For info, the guy only took my photo licence and gave me back the paper one. I think others have had both versions taken but I think it depends on the person at the desk.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

They also only took my wife's UK photocard part of the driver's license. She kept the paper page.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

ready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,

Just sorting things out and wanted to find out something.

I have the old type UK paper driving licence(pink colour), which did not require a photo and is valid until you turn 70. In order to avoid any problems when I go to exchange my licence I obtained a written profile of my driving history from DVLA in Swansea which includes my driving licence number. I do also have an International Driving Permit from the post office(in UK) which has my photo and details of my UK drivers licence.

Do I need anything else to exchange my UK licence or have I covered myself. With my luck I am expecting to end up seeing the most miserable person at the Drive Centre when I go in for the exchange along with weird looks when I show my pink licence.

Would welcome some helpful advice.

Thanks in advance

Ready2go
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

When I exchanged a similar license, they wanted to see none of the extra stuff. No international driver's license. No driving history.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

ready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant future

When I exchanged a similar license, they wanted to see none of the extra stuff. No international driver's license. No driving history.
hi bewillow

thanks for your reply, as i was so worried as I have the old paper licence and no photocard.

so did they let you keep your "pink paper UK licence" or did you have to surrender it at the time of exchange. It would be nice to hang onto it as I have a long way to go until it expires.

ready2go
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

They want to keep it. In theory they send it back to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.