How to dress?

Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all
Default How to dress?

Well, I have a job. This is good news. But, I have no idea what to wear!

For years in the UK, I have worn a uniform to work of one sort or another ... infact, my whole working life! Outside of work, jeans, t's and a sweatshirt - or if going out and need to be smart, jeans and a shirt!

So, on arrival in under two weeks, I have one week to go shopping ...

I have been advised that a suit, shirt and tie will be required occasionally, but most of the time 'business casual' is what is expected. This has been described as along the lines of 'golf shirt and slacks'. This is where this fashion fopar that I am gets stuck - what is a golf shirt and what are slacks?!

Polo shirt and trousers? Loose neck shirt? can anyone offer some advise - oh, and perhaps some where good that someone with a distinct dislike of shopping can go a grab some bits and bobs near the Burlington, ON area?!

Edit: oops ... meant to stick this in the Maple Leaf as suspected it belonged there rather than here ... sorry mods!

Last edited by furries; Jun 25th 2011 at 2:35 pm. Reason: being a numpty!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:39 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to dress?

A polo shirt for sure and "slacks" (don't know why but that word makes me laugh).

When you arrive most of the shops will be a blur - and although it's not the most trendy place in the world to shop Marks Work Warehouse (usually attached to a Canadian Tire) are everywhere - and you can also look online to see what they have so get a better idea of what you might need to spend.

American Eagle and Old Navy are also options for not spending too much whilst you get acquainted with the fashion for work clothes.

Then after that you can hit the malls and go mad (ooops sorry you're a guy .................... after that you can hit the malls, go to the first shop you see, buy an armful of gear, and leave before hyperventilating).
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Then after that you can hit the malls and go mad (ooops sorry you're a guy .................... after that you can hit the malls, go to the first shop you see, buy an armful of gear, and leave before hyperventilating).
seriously - I am killing myself now ... thats totally spot on ...

Thanks for the hints ... I shall start googling just now!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been advised golf shirt and slacks, then yes polo shirt and smart trousers. If you want good quality and not pay full price, then Eddie Bauer has it's summer sale on at the moment, goes for at lease another week, probably two and then the stuff will be in clearance anyhow. Everything in Eddie Bauer has a lifetime guarantee, so you know the quality is there. Canadians seem to love Eddie Bauer.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/home.jsp
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
A polo shirt for sure and "slacks" (don't know why but that word makes me laugh).
If it's usual to wear a Fred Perry knock off and casual trousers such as sold under the Dockers brand and you're the new guy, wear the trousers but get casual shirts with sleeves and a proper collar.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

'Slacks' makes me laugh too. Nice pair of slacks. Ha ha ha!!!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Are slacks and chinos one and the same ... or do ya reckon I should be looking for trousers with a crease?! Burlington Mall is looking a likely destination ... Old Navy and American Eagle seem to be in there ... and there's a Canadian Tire on the way home ...!

Thanks folks...
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think these both count as a "nice pair of slacks."

Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

http://www.rad-dudes.com/wp-content/...03/slacks.jpeg
Nice! Not sure that would be the right look for the first day!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

http://www.rad-dudes.com/wp-content/...03/slacks.jpeg
Um, how did you manage to photograph the last two guys leaving my office yesterday?

On another note, just to let furries know Canadians use the phrase "golf shirt" not "polo shirt" because we golf more than we polo. It's a Canadian thing.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a business casual policy in our office, unless we have "VIPs in"() but I still wear suit pants and a shirt. Sometimes I rock the tie, but usually I dont bother. Some people wear a full suit and tie.
"Slacks", golf shirts etc, is a north american thing and personally I never felt comfortable with it. Some of the older guys in the office like the golf shirt look, but I guess it depends on what you're doing/where you're working.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:55 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

mmm the walking stick would add a nice touch of elegance, although I do think the weave on the pocket of your slacks might be overdoing it a bit.

I suppose would call slacks chinos without them being cream. (And this is onnly going from working at a car dealership a couple of years ago and remembering what the salesmen would wear.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't put pens and pencils in your shirt pocket especially with a plastic holder.

Oh sorry if you're a nerd it's OK !
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the slacks, I gotta have one of those killer shirts .
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:53 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I always wondered what Oink and Alan looked like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.