Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does life in Canada compare to the UK

How does life in Canada compare to the UK

Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does life in Canada compare to the UK

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That'd be Charlton "You can take this gun from my cold dead hands" Heston (deceased)?
Yes. I don't defend his politics but the scenes in the film in which Moore chases the decrepit and no longer coherent Heston around his house demanding that he account for all the excesses of the NRA are really quite squalid. It's a shame Heston was no longer in a condition to grab a gun and chase Moore off the porch.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

hawkman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, no. It says nuffink about nuffink.

Firstly the numbers look like wishful thinking, have you a source?

Secondly, individuals all being literate in different languages isn't useful, it's Babel.

Thirdly, you're making the obviously false assumption that people in Canada were educated in Canada.
As I've said numerous times on this thread, I'm not here to debate politics, so I'm not getting in to a debate with you or anyone else on this topic.

I will try and recollect where I obtained this information and then post it for you.

You may then redirect to your compliants to the relevant source!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkman
As I've said numerous times on this thread, I'm not here to debate politics, so I'm not getting in to a debate with you or anyone else on this topic.
We're pointing that your perceptions about the country to which you are planning to emigrate are wrong. You won't find that there's a great deal more literacy here than there. That's not politics but fact.

Politics would be debating the reasons why the UK, a country with relatively few immigrants, does not have a dramatically higher rate of literacy in English than Canada, a country where a significant proportion of the population was educated in a language other than English.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bigstar14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: How does life in Canada compare to the UK

Politics would be debating the reasons why the UK, a country with relatively few immigrants
You haven't been back for a while then.........?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:47 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bigstar14
It does have relatively few immigrants compared to Canada. If this is an issue for you, then you should think very carefully about where in Canada, if at all, you want to move.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

March. London and Hastings. Places where the number and diversity of immigrants is neglible compared to Toronto.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bazzz
It does have relatively few immigrants compared to Canada. If this is an issue for you, then you should think very carefully about where in Canada, if at all, you want to move.
Easy tiger! I have no issues at all; I'm looking forward to becoming one myself. I'm just commenting on what went before.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

March. London and Hastings. Places where the number and diversity of immigrants is neglible compared to Toronto.
Well I think we're doing pretty well for diversity in London: there are over 300languages spoken here (according to Ken Livingstone this week).
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well I think we're doing pretty well for diversity in London: there are over 300languages spoken here (according to Ken Livingstone this week).
Are there really 300 languages in the world? The garbage pick up calendar here only comes in seventy odd.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:58 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

yeah - 299 of them are different brands of BS spouted by politicians...
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Are there really 300 languages in the world? The garbage pick up calendar here only comes in seventy odd.
Well there's more than 70 (including dialects) just in Europe.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well there's more than 70 (including dialects) just in Europe.
Well, yes, if you include dialects the count is infinite but it's not usual to have the phone menu offer service in dialects "for service in a west country lilt press 1".
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Well, yes, if you include dialects the count is infinite but it's not usual to have the phone menu offer service in dialects "for service in a west country lilt press 1".
Well you'd be f**ked if you spoke basque then...
...and mildy annoyed!

Last edited by Bigstar14; Apr 24th 2008 at 3:25 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well you'd be f**ked if you spoke basque then...
...and mildy annoyed!
Nah, that'd just be like being from Quebec, speakers of basque or Quebec French also need to speak the mainstream variation of their language.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:41 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

I love many of the aspects of diverse communities, I have travelled extensively across the world and feel that those with more diverse communities I have visited feel mature and more rounded and somehow safer....an example of a culture in which I felt uncomfortable and not included was Japan...I think their isolationist policy during 19th century has a lot to do with it still

.....there are some drawbacks sometimes though especially when the changes happen quickly.......in my opinion this is unlikely to happen quickly in Canada looking at the background origins of the majority of the quarter of a million immigrants each year

..only passing comment...........from UK Press yesterday....Market Town of Boston, Lincolnshire 70,000 inhabitants.......65 languages spoken official number of that population from Eastern Europe is nearly 18,000 but believed to be much higher due to non registration on local authority files

the local police are now giving crash courses to local officers in basic Polish, Portuguese and Lithuanian so that they can communicate with the local people

working in that town would be quite interesting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.