Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Can I just say that your post made me laugh out loud......... we too have experienced many of the things you mentioned...... just in the last couple of days there were problems with the brakes on the car and our new television seems to have an aversion to black and prefers to show green!

Although I am aware that a lot of the problems we would have had back home too....... the trouble I had with British Gas and even my local gym when we left were crazy. (Amazing how companies get stroppy when money is involved!)

For us it is the job market that is causing problems....... and I am aware that being a happy immigrant is dependant on getting work and work that you don't hate...... so I am ever hopeful that if we can get work we don't hate then we will be able to give it a shot. However....... if we don't...... then home it will probably be!

It is easy for people to say you haven't given it a chance....... but when you are here in the "now" and not earning and not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel cutting your loses and going home is a sensible option.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say have you not thought about giving another area of Canada a go, but that would probably be pointless as you seem to have made your mind up about a lot of things in such a short time.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly
I was going to say have you not thought about giving another area of Canada a go, but that would probably be pointless as you seem to have made your mind up about a lot of things in such a short time.
That is an excellent point - our first six months here were horrendous; a real struggle to get going, and I really wanted to go 'home'; but once that elusive job was landed everything changed. Though I've never been to Toronto, from all I've learned about it here, I don't think I would have stuck it out.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vick
Gave it enough of a shot to figure out that it aint gonna work. No way I would get as good a job as in the UK with a bit of culture and friends the way friends should be, not acquaintances
So you waited three plus years in the immigration process and now you're going to throw it all away after five months?

What a waste.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:21 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        I don't agree with much of what you wrote, but you gave me such a laugh - thanks! You have quite a talent in writing, maybe you're in the wrong job.

Well alright, I do agree with the Rogers bit (Shaw here in BC, same system, different name). I totally disagree with the products being inferior - I don't have any problems with my purchases, or infrequently anyway. Compared to what I buy in the UK there's no difference, probably better here in Canada, actually.

Having said that, I spent a happy half hour chatting to the pensions department in the UK this morning, can you believe it was actually a pleasant and informative call?! A government department that was helpful, and not only that I didn't have to press all kinds of numbers in an automated system just to get an anonymous voice mailbox. And - drumroll - the guy actually had a sense of humour (and spoke fluent English to boot, but let's not start that fight again, eh?).

I will say though, that 5 months is not giving it a fair go. But, hope you won't regret going back.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:22 pm
                        Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dancath
                        not "who gives" but "who is talking"

And just to address another point, I love Toronto personally - A great place and nice people.....its always what you make it....everywhere always is..
                        I don't think the original poster is in Toronto as he mentions Kitchener-Waterloo, I think the first mention of Toronto on this thread is Calgal's. I appreciate that the rest of the country is a bit fixated on Toronto but the mention on this thread seems gratuitous; people might dislike other parts of the country too.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:37 pm
                        Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

Is your last name Meldrew?

I hate it when things break 18 months after purchase and the store still exchanges them no questions!!

Mike

My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:44 pm
                                              BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

You are mistaking me for someone who gives a crap!

Go and book that flight
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:48 pm
                                              BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smelly

Go and book that flight
                                              Maybe the uk doesnt want him back, I certainly wouldn't want to live next door.
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:48 pm
                                              BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone who emigrates to anywhere and thinks it's going to be paradise with no problems - is delusional!

I don't think Canada is any better or any worse than England or Australia or France or Spain - or wherever. It's just different. Probably some things that work well in England do not work well in Canada or vice versa. I would think the number one thing - anywhere - any country - is can I find a job that I like and one that pays well enough for me to live as I want to? The amount of pay that one person requires might be totally different from the next person. I bet if you lived in Scotland and moved to London, depending on the kind of person you are, you would have the same problems meeting friends etc. etc. Lots of people on this board have moved to Canada and have got friends and like it here.

If someone comes to Canada and cannot make friends, I would think it had more to do with that person than with the idea that nobody in Canada is friendly.
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:53 pm
                                              BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
                                              I don't think the original poster is in Toronto as he mentions Kitchener-Waterloo, I think the first mention of Toronto on this thread is Calgal's. I appreciate that the rest of the country is a bit fixated on Toronto but the mention on this thread seems gratuitous; people might dislike other parts of the country too.
                                              Oops - apologies! You're quite right about some not liking other parts of Canada - each to his own. As I said, I don't *think* I would like life in Toronto. As the OP doesn't like where they are right now - a different Province may be more suited to him and worth a shot before chucking the opportunity away so hastily.

I just saw OHIP and Kitchener, and thought "Toronto" (OK - I know it's not, but it's not that different to your "Birmingham is oop north" innit? )
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 4:10 pm
                                              Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
                                              "Birmingham is oop north" innit?
                                              Indeed it is. I really must go there, or as far up as say Milton Keynes, wherever it starts getting rough, as recent visits to the England have left me the idea that it's a very pleasant place and set me wondering how to get by the hurdle of house prices there.
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 4:29 pm
                                              BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Quality post.... even though it's a whinge, made me laugh. I'm sure you've upset some folk proper. So, we've determined Canada's sh*t, the UK's sh*t, america's sh*t, where next?
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 4:34 pm
                                              BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
                                              I really must go to Milton Keynes
                                              Oh god not the land of concrete cows! Don't go there, it's the UK's "Burmuda triangle" - you may never be seen again
                                              Old Nov 28th 2006, 4:38 pm
                                              Slightly Canadian

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
                                              Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
                                              Oh god not the land of concrete cows! Don't go there, it's the UK's "Burmuda triangle" - you may never be seen again
                                              Milton Keynes..... A graveyard, with traffic lights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.