Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by printer
I've been on the M25 on a Friday aftenoon completely stationary due to major accident, the whole motorway was closed. It took 2 hours to do about 2 miles and then we all had to be diverted off the next junction. 3 lanes of motorway traffic going off onto a normal A road, it was hell.
OK, you're talking about a major accident. The 401 around TO is a nightmare all of the time.

On two occasions this year I have taken the bus from Brighton to Heathrow. Much of the trip is on the M25. Even with stops, including two at Gatwick, and drivers that don't break the speed limit, the trip only takes two hours.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm sure it was but that's an example of an incident with a cause. The 401 is 16 lanes of vehicles going at 11mph when nothing goes wrong. Many of those vehicles are trucks which, I suppose, may account for the dreadful air quality here.

As it goes, we sat in a jam on a motorway in the UK recently while an accident was cleaned up, three lanes had to merge to one, it was watching that that prompted my comment above about UK drivers being more polite than those here.
I think it is 50/50 as far as politeness is concerned. Some drivers still refuse to acknowledge you are trying to merge and deliberately cut you out whilst others happily let you in. In fact it is now becoming more popular for signs to be put up where lanes merge telling drivers to use both lanes and merge alternately.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
OK, you're talking about a major accident. The 401 around TO is a nightmare all of the time.

On two occasions this year I have taken the bus from Brighton to Heathrow. Much of the trip is on the M25. Even with stops, including two at Gatwick, and drivers that don't break the speed limit, the trip only takes two hours.
That's my point. You have been on it twice this year. Try going on it every day and then working out how many good days you have had. It would be highly unusual for a day to go by without an accident or a breakdown in one lane and then of course there are the roadworks. You see the sign that says "roadworks, repairing carriageway" or similar from today for 48 weeks!!

We often go to Brighton for a day out on a Sunday and there is usually no problems.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's my point. You have been on it twice this year. Try going on it every day and then working out how many good days you have had. It would be highly unusual for a day to go by without an accident or a breakdown in one lane and then of course there are the roadworks. You see the sign that says "roadworks, repairing carriageway" or similar from today for 48 weeks!!

We often go to Brighton for a day out on a Sunday and there is usually no problems.
Construction is a huge bother here too, I sigh with relief when it starts snowing because, if they have to plough, they stop digging. I think the Winter season is less bad for traffic than the other season; Construction.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:07 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
In the UK, perhaps, expressing some unfashionable opinions in Canada is an offense.
I've found unfashionable opinions are equally unwelcome anywhere - that's why they're unfashionable

But the main point I was trying to make was, whatever the opinion, expressing it in a positive way - that gives room for the possibility of being wrong - always goes down way better.

I'm eating chocolate right now - there, something positive
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Suzie
I've found unfashionable opinions are equally unwelcome anywhere - that's why they're unfashionable

But the main point I was trying to make was, whatever the opinion, expressing it in a positive way - that gives room for the possibility of being wrong - always goes down way better.

I'm eating chocolate right now - there, something positive
You're eating chocolate? How unfashionable.
I thought fruit was the way to go these days.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:23 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

You're eating chocolate? How unfashionable.
I thought fruit was the way to go these days.
It is, but fruit in an advent calendar doesn't really keep too well

But thanks for reminding me, I have a nice pineapple that needs eating...mmm...pineapple...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Suzie
It is, but fruit in an advent calendar doesn't really keep too well

But thanks for reminding me, I have a nice pineapple that needs eating...mmm...pineapple...
Ah you didn't mention the advent calendar bit.
It's funny how you rarely see normal advent calendars these days, they all seem to contain sweets/chocolates of some kind. My kids have one each and my OH as well. When the dog was still alive she got one too!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:32 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Ah you didn't mention the advent calendar bit.
It's funny how you rarely see normal advent calendars these days, they all seem to contain sweets/chocolates of some kind. My kids have one each and my OH as well. When the dog was still alive she got one too!!!!
Uhhh... dunno if I should ask, but dying to know now

What is a 'normal' advent calendar to you then printer? Never heard of anything BUT sweets/chocolates in them.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Daedra
Uhhh... dunno if I should ask, but dying to know now

What is a 'normal' advent calendar to you then printer? Never heard of anything BUT sweets/chocolates in them.
You open the door and there is a picture behind it. That's it.
Least that was it in my day, unless my mum had removed all the chocolates before giving it to me.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:42 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

You open the door and there is a picture behind it. That's it.
Least that was it in my day, unless my mum had removed all the chocolates before giving it to me.
What a boring advent calendar that would be
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bleech
What a boring advent calendar that would be
Do the Canadian ones have Tim Hortons donuts under each door?

Now i could get used to that.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on the M25 on a Friday aftenoon completely stationary due to major accident, the whole motorway was closed. It took 2 hours to do about 2 miles and then we all had to be diverted off the next junction. 3 lanes of motorway traffic going off onto a normal A road, it was hell.

Back in 2000-2001 I drove from Gaydon, Warks to Essex via M40-M25-A12 every Friday for 18mths or so. I generally left Gaydon around 1-3pm and pretty much every time spent 2 hrs on the M25 either stationary or crawling along. And that was 6 years ago.

I imagine from what little I've seen of it the GTA is as bad or worse. Hence I have as little desire to live there as I do in the South East of England!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kt0157
I wonder how much that is caused by the media reports of casual violence. It's certainly creating an atmosphere of "everybody's at it". It's a much smaller step from that to "I can do it too".

K.
No, this is from personal experience of picking up body parts from the roadside because the driver couldn't be bothered to stop at a set of traffic lights and said that he was in a hurry and then attacked us (Met) with an iron bar he had under his seat. Or maybe, the two young guys we took to casualty,one of which had chased the other for over 10 miles for overtaking him. He pulled him out of the car, only to be beaten to a pulp by who turned out to be a Martial Arts expert, but not before stabbing him.

You seem to be infatuated with media encitement but it seems to me that you have made that an issue, believing only whaqt you want to. Speak to those at the coalface.

J
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorbz62
You seem to be infatuated with media encitement but it seems to me that you have made that an issue, believing only whaqt you want to. Speak to those at the coalface.
The last people who should be influencing policy on this are the police. They deal regularly with the utter scum of the earth. How can they possibly keep a proper perspective when their faith in humanity is shaken on a daily basis?

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.