Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:13 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Yay!! Thanks for reminding me why I left the UK. I love Canada

PS Some of those problems exist over here but they're not nearly as bad, so I know where I'd rather be...

Originally Posted by Sorbz62
Right - here goes ..........

1. Things which break: In UK everything breaks - telephones, cars, washing machines, internet links etc - and when you phone up to rectify the problem, you get put through to call centre in Goa, or Bombay where the idiots on the other end only speak enough English to answer the most basic of questions. It is cr*p and getting cra*per (see what I did there lol!) Nobody seems to give a sh*t here.

2. Telephone Providers: Vastly overpriced, particularly Mobile roaming, and they also have these damn call centres ..."Yis, vot zeems to be ze proobleem, sahib..."

3. UK Health Service: is now completely swamped with immigrants coming to the UK for free medical treatment. A friend of mine returned from Iraq where he had been injured and was put in a ward of Iraqis and Afghans and was verbally abused for "killing their fellow muslims". Another friend, also military, has just had a minor heart op and was left in a cold corridor straight after his op at St Thomas's in London, because all the beds were taken by Poles and Russians. He also said the hospital was suffering from underfunding in that it was absolutely disgusting and seemed like a 3rd world hospital to him. Dreadful

4. OK, let's talk about job prospects here. The aforementioned immigration pattern (which is going to be worsened by Romania nd Bulgaria entering the EU) has made the prospect of working class Brits having to work for much less, because the immigrants work for far less. This is now a major issue in the UK and I can see there being some kind of violent backlash soon.

5. Traffic: The situation here is absolutely awful - wherever you go, day or night, the roads are blocked by ignorant, unaware tw*ts (insert whatever vowel you want) who only want to get from A to B as quick as possible. The Government is planning on introducing a chrage for road usage to cut down on traffic, but at about £1 per mile !!!!!!! holy f**k!! The alternative is an antiquated, unsafe railway network which costs a fortune and is never on time ....AND you get mugged on them by those who don't pay and smoke crack in the bogs.

Right, here's some of my own.

Education: Why must my kids learn Pashtu because there are some Afghan kids in their class? Why does University Education ensure that students have to work for 10 years thereafter just to pay off their student loan.

House Prices: Impossible for Uni leavers to buy a house. Council Tax is costing more and more and used for what? They are also planning on taking individuals to court if they put the wrong rubbish in their bins !!!

Crime: Getting worse and worse - completely caused by the Police being handicapped with legislation and Political Correctness. They cannot do their jobs properly and the Criminals they do catch get off because "the naught policeman shouted at me". Prisons are so over crowded that they are letting some out early!! From their warm prison cells with TV and duvets.

I've had enough now, so before you drag your snivelling little butt back to UK, stop whingeing and enjoy what you've got.... because it's much better than over here in this dreary little, multi-culti, sinking island, which used to be Great.

Apart from that, have a nice day hahaha!
J.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

3. UK Health Service: is now completely swamped with immigrants coming to the UK for free medical treatment. A friend of mine returned from Iraq where he had been injured and was put in a ward of Iraqis and Afghans and was verbally abused for "killing their fellow muslims". Another friend, also military, has just had a minor heart op and was left in a cold corridor straight after his op at St Thomas's in London, because all the beds were taken by Poles and Russians. He also said the hospital was suffering from underfunding in that it was absolutely disgusting and seemed like a 3rd world hospital to him. Dreadful

4. OK, let's talk about job prospects here. The aforementioned immigration pattern (which is going to be worsened by Romania nd Bulgaria entering the EU) has made the prospect of working class Brits having to work for much less, because the immigrants work for far less. This is now a major issue in the UK and I can see there being some kind of violent backlash soon.

I've had enough now, so before you drag your snivelling little butt back to UK, stop whingeing and enjoy what you've got.... because it's much better than over here in this dreary little, multi-culti, sinking island, which used to be Great.

J.
Ironic you have a German wife. I guess that makes her an immigrant to the UK. Dreadful isn't it, this immigration- unless it suits us personally.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Ironic you have a German wife. I guess that makes her an immigrant to the UK. Dreadful isn't it, this immigration- unless it suits us personally.
You mean from a country (Germany) where everyone pays taxes, where you only get unemployment benefits for a short period and don't if they offer you a job and you refuse. Where the police have greater powers and the judicial system is efficient. No, I am not against immigration per se, you are misinterpreting me, I am against the influx of migrant workers to UK, a country without any visible immigration policy and with free social security benefits to all and sundry, paid for by the Taxpayer, ie everyone else. The UK is too small to be able to accommodate everyone who wants to enter it and all I'm saying is that we are in danger of collapsing inwards on ourselves.

Thanks for reading my other message by the way!! What's your advice?

J.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean from a country (Germany) where everyone pays taxes, where you only get unemployment benefits for a short period and don't if they offer you a job and you refuse. Where the police have greater powers and the judicial system is efficient. No, I am not against immigration per se, you are misinterpreting me, I am against the influx of migrant workers to UK, a country without any visible immigration policy and with free social security benefits to all and sundry, paid for by the Taxpayer, ie everyone else. The UK is too small to be able to accommodate everyone who wants to enter it and all I'm saying is that we are in danger of collapsing inwards on ourselves.

Thanks for reading my other message by the way!! What's your advice?

J.
I wouldn't presume to give anyone advice about Canada as I have never been, though it seems from all the evidence it is a fantastic country to visit. But like anywhere, and from reading the posts in places like this, immigrants may be treated as second class citizens when it comes to employment. And as you and your wife will be effectively immigrants you might not get the utopia you want.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
I wouldn't presume to give anyone advice about Canada as I have never been, though it seems from all the evidence it is a fantastic country to visit. But like anywhere, and from reading the posts in places like this, immigrants may be treated as second class citizens when it comes to employment. And as you and your wife will be effectively immigrants you might not get the utopia you want.
Yeah - you're probably right (sigh!) but I'll give it a go and see what happens!
I love the UK but it just seems to be falling apart.
J.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadfully multi-culti in Canada too, doncha know. Last night we had a Croatian cab driver who played us Cuban music. Shocking.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah - you're probably right (sigh!) but I'll give it a go and see what happens!
I love the UK but it just seems to be falling apart.
J.
You believe too much of what you read in the Daily Mail or Express I reckon. If Cameron or his ilk ever get in then suddenly they will report beds of roses growing miraculously up your street in an instant!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Things which break: In UK everything breaks - telephones, cars, washing machines, internet links etc - and when you phone up to rectify the problem, you get put through to call centre in Goa, or Bombay where the idiots on the other end only speak enough English to answer the most basic of questions. It is cr*p and getting cra*per (see what I did there lol!) Nobody seems to give a sh*t here.

2. Telephone Providers: Vastly overpriced, particularly Mobile roaming, and they also have these damn call centres ..."Yis, vot zeems to be ze proobleem, sahib..."

5. Traffic: The situation here is absolutely awful - wherever you go, day or night, the roads are blocked by ignorant, unaware tw*ts (insert whatever vowel you want) who only want to get from A to B as quick as possible. The Government is planning on introducing a chrage for road usage to cut down on traffic, but at about £1 per mile !!!!!!! holy f**k!! The alternative is an antiquated, unsafe railway network which costs a fortune and is never on time ....AND you get mugged on them by those who don't pay and smoke crack in the bogs.

Right, here's some of my own.

Education: Why must my kids learn Pashtu because there are some Afghan kids in their class? Why does University Education ensure that students have to work for 10 years thereafter just to pay off their student loan.

House Prices: Impossible for Uni leavers to buy a house. Council Tax is costing more and more and used for what? They are also planning on taking individuals to court if they put the wrong rubbish in their bins !!!

Crime: Getting worse and worse - completely caused by the Police being handicapped with legislation and Political Correctness. They cannot do their jobs properly and the Criminals they do catch get off because "the naught policeman shouted at me". Prisons are so over crowded that they are letting some out early!! From their warm prison cells with TV and duvets.

J.
Just to demonstrate that moving to Canada won't do very much in regard to your complaint about the language skills of customer support people, here is the response I received from my Canadian insurance broker to my question "why, if I have less cars, has my premium gone up?":

"The increase was when we have both vehicles insured for the same policy your minor tickets although is showing there is still conviction free disc given. When there is only 1 car on the policy such as the Honda Element (i.e. why you have indicated to me the premium for element should not be higher than the Ford Mustang)

I am sending with the attachment showing the discount & the minor tickets information for you & your daughter. You should be able to compare with your own policy document. Like I confirm with the discount for MVD (two cars
20% & conviction free discount 15%. Then the 2 tickets surcharge is 20% in the Honda Element for you. Thanks,"

I think you will find that there's enough diversity here that, if you make it known that you travelled abroad and killed people of a specific religion or nationality, you are likely to find someone of that religion or nationality to verbally abuse you. The best answer to that is to stay home in the first place.

As it happens, I was just in England and I took a train, I was not mugged by people who smoked crack in the bogs, nor by people who smoked crack elsewhere, in fact I wasn't mugged at all. What should I do differently next time? Do I need to speak more or less Pashtu?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever heard anyone ever say "sahib" to you on the phone? Or does all your knowledge of Indians come from It Ain't Half Hot Mum? They don't actually wear turbans with snake belts, you know.

3. UK Health Service: is now completely swamped with immigrants coming to the UK for free medical treatment.
You forgot the free houses and Porsches. And free money. And Tesco's trainers. You're well behind the times.

A friend of mine returned from Iraq where he had been injured and was put in a ward of Iraqis and Afghans and was verbally abused for "killing their fellow muslims".
Complain to the MOD about treating soldiers in non-military hospitals.

Another friend, also military, has just had a minor heart op and was left in a cold corridor straight after his op at St Thomas's in London, because all the beds were taken by Poles and Russians.
Tsk. These Slav untermensch just don't know their place, do they?

4. The aforementioned immigration pattern [...] has made the prospect of working class Brits having to work for much less
Good.

5. Traffic: The situation here is absolutely awful - wherever you go, day or night, the roads are blocked by ignorant, unaware tw*ts (insert whatever vowel you want) who only want to get from A to B as quick as possible.
That would be you, me, and everyone else then?

The Government is planning on introducing a chrage for road usage to cut down on traffic, but at about £1 per mile !!!!!!! holy f**k!!
You should read the Daily Mail a bit less and think a bit more. The £1/mile figure is the highest rate, not the average. Quoting the highest as the single price is like saying all cars cost more than £250,000 because that's what a modern supercar costs.

Education: Why must my kids learn Pashtu because there are some Afghan kids in their class?
Do they really? Or did you hear this from the same man in the pub that told you about free houses, cars, and NHS treatment?

Why does University Education ensure that students have to work for 10 years thereafter just to pay off their student loan.
Because students pay for University now. And they pay because there are so many more than there used to be (about 1000% more) it isn't possible to have free higher education. You and your Daily Mail ilk would be the first to complain about taxpayers paying (especially if some of the students weren't white and born in the UK to white parents born in the UK).

House Prices: Impossible for Uni leavers to buy a house.
That will soon correct itself.

Council Tax is costing more and more and used for what? They are also planning on taking individuals to court if they put the wrong rubbish in their bins !!!
Mr. Brown and Mr. Blair promised not to put up income tax, so they had to find all kinds of other places to get the money. Council Tax was convenient because the council gets the blame for the rises. Don't vote for them next time.

You don't know Canada very well, do you?

K.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vick
My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        You're quite angry arent you? Why?
                        Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:13 am
                        Just Joined

Originally Posted by kt0157
                        Have you ever heard anyone ever say "sahib" to you on the phone? Or does all your knowledge of Indians come from It Ain't Half Hot Mum? They don't actually wear turbans with snake belts, you know.

You forgot the free houses and Porsches. And free money. And Tesco's trainers. You're well behind the times.

Complain to the MOD about treating soldiers in non-military hospitals.

Tsk. These Slav untermensch just don't know their place, do they?

Good.

That would be you, me, and everyone else then?

You should read the Daily Mail a bit less and think a bit more. The £1/mile figure is the highest rate, not the average. Quoting the highest as the single price is like saying all cars cost more than £250,000 because that's what a modern supercar costs.

Do they really? Or did you hear this from the same man in the pub that told you about free houses, cars, and NHS treatment?

Because students pay for University now. And they pay because there are so many more than there used to be (about 1000% more) it isn't possible to have free higher education. You and your Daily Mail ilk would be the first to complain about taxpayers paying (especially if some of the students weren't white and born in the UK to white parents born in the UK).

That will soon correct itself.

Mr. Brown and Mr. Blair promised not to put up income tax, so they had to find all kinds of other places to get the money. Council Tax was convenient because the council gets the blame for the rises. Don't vote for them next time.

You don't know Canada very well, do you?

K.
                        Thanks for your informative and, I must say non-defensive reply, I see what you're trying to do there.

As an Arabic, Pashtu and Serbo-Croat speaker, with former service in the Police and now working in the public sector, a reader of all genres of newspapers, both national and international, I would say that I have a broader grasp of "the way things are" than most.

My original comments were to answer the original post, in a kind of tit-for-tat manner. I knew it would invoke such a response as yours. You obviously did not read between the lines and understand the irony and sarcasm of it all, which is typical of today's liberal, politically-correct attitude in the UK. Please accept my original comments as what they were - a thought provoking response,in order to balance the argument.

By the way, I have been asked to teach Pashtu in the North-West of England and Arabic in London. I was also a Traffic Policeman for many years and feel that I may comment on issues such as the road system and NHS hospitals, having seen behind the scenes whan called to them to deal with despicable acts of violence and drug abuse.

Anyway, I find myself constantly having the same converstaions wherever I go, which is sad to say the least and not just from who you would call Daily Mail Readers. Life in the UK has never 'appeared' so grey, although I accept this is relative but that is why thousands are selling up and moving abroad. Hence websites such as this one.
                        Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:36 am
                        BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I was also a Traffic Policeman for many years and feel that I may comment on issues such as the road system and NHS hospitals, having seen behind the scenes whan called to them to deal with despicable acts of violence and drug abuse.
                        Hang on a minute. Ex-policeman, neo-nazi views on Poles. You weren't on Panorama, were you?

K.
                        Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:30 am
                        BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

K.
                        I blame the radio station news as well. I was driving back from Leeds and heard on the news that the government are considering charging motorists £1.50 per mile.
                        This was obviously very poorly reported as i cannot see that there will be a blanket charge of £1.50 for every mile on every road but that is how it sounded from the radio report.
                        Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:37 am
                        Just Joined

Hang on a minute. Ex-policeman, neo-nazi views on Poles. You weren't on Panorama, were you?

K.
                        I begrudge that remark. Where did I say that I was a neo-nazi?
                        What are your political allegiances then?
                        I suppose you support mass immigration into UK to enrich our obviously culturally poor indiginous population and to bring foreign expertise to our shores.
                        I never said that I believed in all this political rubbish, just that these are the issues driving people to leave.
                        By the way - where do you live? Not in UK I suppose.
                        Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:39 am
                        BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
                        This was obviously very poorly reported as i cannot see that there will be a blanket charge of £1.50 for every mile on every road but that is how it sounded from the radio report.
                        A blanket charge won't solve congestion, will it? Stupid media. No, the proposals look quite sane until you realize that there's no technology that makes it work. But apart from that, excellent.

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.