Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
well-know like Magnus International to take one example.
Magna perhaps
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:31 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Bata is the largest shoe company in the world.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:35 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Magna perhaps
Yes, thanks for the correction (Magna International ... not Magnus International... I can't believe I wrote that).... I should have mentioned Linamar instead!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 30th 2006 at 7:39 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:37 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seagal01
Yes, the Canadian transport, aerospace and telecoms industries are world-reknown... not. And are they actually "Canadian"? That's like saying Nike is Vietnamese because they are made there. What Canadian cars do you have? I thought most of them we American and Japanese (Honda).
Remind me why you're on your way to Canada. After all this criticism, I've forgotten.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Canadian transport, aerospace and telecoms industries are world-reknown... not. And are they actually "Canadian"? That's like saying Nike is Vietnamese because they are made there. What Canadian cars do you have? I thought most of them we American and Japanese (Honda).

The engineers working on them are Canadian, the raw materials going into them are canadian, many of the subcomponents are canadian sourced, the labour going into making them is Canadian... I would say a canadian built car is more canadian than the average US built car is American. Up to 20% of the average US built car is actually sourced in Canada as I recall.

Its like saying Lotus (Malasian owned) and Rolls Royce (German) or Bentley(German) are not British.

GM, the worlds largest auto maker was part founded by a Canadian, Robert McLauglin with two of his sons (the third started "Canada Dry"), Oshawa is still home of GMs most productive North American Facility. Before you badmouth canadian industry, perhaps you should learn something about it.

Just because you are not aware of the global impact of certain canadian technology companies, that does not mean it does not exist, it just means you are ignorant.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 30th 2006 at 7:56 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Are they still manufacturing in Canada? The plant in Batawa (down the road from me) shut several years ago now, all that remains is a small distribution facility for outsourced products in Trenton. Thomas Bata (or his family anyway) still spends a bit of time each year at his house in this area as far as I know though. Hes an interesting guy.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 30th 2006 at 7:58 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:46 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I might mention that in some areas, even though it involves natural resources... Canadian technology is a world leader. Canada is the world-leader in oil sands technology and in some other mining related technology. We have some copper mines where the ore is lower grade that the tailings (waste rock) at some of Chile's copper mines.... and we can still make money from such low-grade mines.... and it's all because our technology is superior.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:57 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
..and the shoe museum in Toronto reflects that fact.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the Canadian transport, aerospace and telecoms industries are world-reknown... not.
Hardly. Bombardier is, I believe, the world's largest civil aircraft manufacturer after Boeing and Airbus (and last time I looked was the leading employer in Northern Ireland). Oh, it's also the world's largest manufacturer of railway equipment.

Here are some other unremarkable Canadian words: Nortel, IMAX, the Blackberry.......
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:04 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Are they still manufacturing in Canada? The plant in Batawa (down the road from me) shut several years ago now, all that remains is a small distribution facility for outsourced products in Trenton. Thomas Bata (or his family anyway) still spends a bit of time each year at his house in this area as far as I know though. Hes an interesting guy.
I don't know how we're defining a given company's corporate home. Although I understand Bata has outsourced its manufacturing to Third World countries, I also understand that its headquarters still are in Ontario. In that sense I'm notching it up as a Canadian company.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to go off at a tangent but I have a question about dogs

Why do they like to stick their heads out of fast moving car windows? No this isn't a joke
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Sorry to go off at a tangent but I have a question about dogs

Why do they like to stick their heads out of fast moving car windows? No this isn't a joke
Because they can? Dunno. Did someone in the car fart? I guess I'd want to do something to clear my nose if i used my tongue as toilet paper too.

Isnt google great

"Most veterinarians suspect that it's because of their incredible sense of smell. With so many scents wafting through the air at those speeds, it's wonderful as a dog to be able to take it all in"

Last edited by iaink; Nov 30th 2006 at 8:30 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I might mention that in some areas, even though it involves natural resources... Canadian technology is a world leader. Canada is the world-leader in oil sands technology and in some other mining related technology. We have some copper mines where the ore is lower grade that the tailings (waste rock) at some of Chile's copper mines.... and we can still make money from such low-grade mines.... and it's all because our technology is superior.
Steady on there. Which other country, apart from Venezuela, mines oil sands?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Because they can? Dunno. I guess I'd want to do something to clear my nose if i used my tongue as toilet paper too.

Isnt google great

"Most veterinarians suspect that it's because of their incredible sense of smell. With so many scents wafting through the air at those speeds, it's wonderful as a dog to be able to take it all in"

LOL!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:34 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Steady on there. Which other country, apart from Venezuela, mines oil sands?
Russia and Venezuela both have large oil sands deposits... but the technology to exploit this large and important resource was developed primarily in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.