Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by Seagal01
OK, I think most people are being too hard on this guy. I appreciate both sides (for once). I'm just about to move to BC, and I know that it is not a perfect place - but find me a perfect place!! England is a shit-hole, whichever way you look at it; where there is beauty, there are no jobs, and vice versa. In Canada, you have generally amazing country, but at least with the possibility of getting a job amongst this beauty. Yes, it's difficult, but where isn't?!

Most importantly I don't expect to go to Canada to reap the rewards of what they have to offer ME. I want to offer THEM something. Canada has problems... lots of them, which I think most people who have commented on this are in denial about. It could be so much better, and I think it's not beyond the possibility of immigrants to encourage those changes. Let's face it, the only visible comparison Canadians have is America, and look how much Canada is like the US (another thing that most people are in denial about!!). I love Canada, and I love Canadians (but not Americans). If you don't love these things then you truly don't belong there. All the other things can be improved, and need to be improved. Hell, my Canadian girlfriend does nothing but complain about the pathetic transport system in BC, along with the huge prices for everything: alcohol, supermarket food (incl. cheese), house prices, etc. I find it quaint, and I realise that things maybe cheaper in other countries, and more reliable, but that Canada has other positive points that they don't. Canada needs to be improved, and hasn't been. It's time someone changed things there for the better, and we're the people to do it - not just expect things thrown at you. That's why there ARE so many job possibilities out there, because you can do things a lot better than they are already being done. And it's not just about selling your "English"ness, it's about selling your knowledge of a better system.
I agree with this sentiment - I would add that Canada knows it needs to change....... but it doesn't necessarily want to......... they create a points system to get the people in to help develop and effect the change..... but when they get here....... Canada takes fright and doesn't know what to do with them.

From the UK..... we have a different mentality..... we are a small place and have to keep up with the rest of the world and being small it is easier to do ....... here it is such a big land mass that trying to do anything is a huge undertaking. Changing what in effect is a cultural behaviour pattern is not going to be easy for them. (By that time other people will have come and then run our of money and have had to head home.)

(Of course this is only my view from my own experience and will differ from that of others........ we all come from a different places, have different views and hold different expectations....... and I think a thread like this highlights that.)
Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Seagal01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think despite what the guy who started this thread says, Canada is a country with opportunities if you come with something to offer back. It's without question an amazing place!! It just relies too much on suckling on America. With America's economy (some how) going down the drain, it's about time Canada stood up for itself (or at least partially). For instance I asked my girlfriend to name some "Canadian food products" that are sold outside of Canada or the US. She couldn't name much, other than Canadian salmon, which is hardly a big seller this side of the Atlantic! Of course, everything is sold to America at some incredibly low price, while the people of Canada get seriously ripped off for the most basic things! I believe this is the only way Canada survives, by over charging it's own people - which is really sad. And that's the point, Canada is expensive because it doesn't really have any serious industries, apart from its film industry provided for the benefit of saving Hollywood money (thereby making them more money).

I find it really amusing and curious why a place like Vancouver grinds to a halt when it rains or snows. Admittedly, the current weather there is quite exceptional, but nevertheless to have your entire transport system almost completely shut down is quite something! What's wrong with old-fashioned gritting trucks? It reminds me of how British Rail goes crazy when there are leaves on the track (ha ha). Of course there are leaves on the track, so why aren't we prepared for it?!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:17 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I think despite what the guy who started this thread says, Canada is a country with opportunities if you come with something to offer back. It's without question an amazing place!! It just relies too much on suckling on America. With America's economy (some how) going down the drain, it's about time Canada stood up for itself (or at least partially). For instance I asked my girlfriend to name some "Canadian food products" that are sold outside of Canada or the US. She couldn't name much, other than Canadian salmon, which is hardly a big seller this side of the Atlantic! Of course, everything is sold to America at some incredibly low price, while the people of Canada get seriously ripped off for the most basic things! I believe this is the only way Canada survives, by over charging it's own people - which is really sad. And that's the point, Canada is expensive because it doesn't really have any serious industries, apart from its film industry provided for the benefit of saving Hollywood money (thereby making them more money).
You and your girlfriend really ought to become better informed about Canada's trade. You can find out more from the Statistics Canada website.

I find it really amusing and curious why a place like Vancouver grinds to a halt when it rains or snows. Admittedly, the current weather there is quite exceptional, but nevertheless to have your entire transport system almost completely shut down is quite something! What's wrong with old-fashioned gritting trucks? It reminds me of how British Rail goes crazy when there are leaves on the track (ha ha). Of course there are leaves on the track, so why aren't we prepared for it?!
There is nothing wrong with old-fashioned gritting trucks per se. What is wrong with investing in them is if the need to use them is so rare that the capital investment is not worth it. There's a huge difference between the return on investment on a gritting truck in Winnipeg and a gritting truck in Vancouver.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Canada is expensive because it doesn't really have any serious industries
Yeah, just silly industries like logging, oil, hydro-electricity, mining and fluff like that.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Seagal01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You and your girlfriend really ought to become better informed about Canada's trade. You can find out more from the Statistics Canada website.

There is nothing wrong with old-fashioned gritting trucks per se. What is wrong with investing in them is if the need to use them is so rare that the capital investment is not worth it. There's a huge difference between the return on investment on a gritting truck in Winnipeg and a gritting truck in Vancouver.
I'm sure you're right about Canada's trade. However, should I need to research it, when it should be blatantly obvious if it's that common knowledge? As for gritting trucks... if my home town has them, when we don't have anywhere near the weather conditions of Vancouver, there IS something wrong, regardless of capital investment.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, everything is sold to America at some incredibly low price, while the people of Canada get seriously ripped off for the most basic things!
Like what? Which agricultural products are sold cheaply to the US? Not eggs, milk or beef? Goats, maybe, I don't know me goat industry very well.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

However, should I need to research it, when it should be blatantly obvious if it's that common knowledge?
It's not common knowledge. Neither is it true.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
Yeah, just silly industries like logging, oil, hydro-electricity, mining and fluff like that.
Canadas largest industry is Automotive I think...at least in Ontario. Natural resources are very important to the overall economy though.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada is expensive because it doesn't really have any serious industries, apart from its film industry provided for the benefit of saving Hollywood money (thereby making them more money).
This is cobblers. Canada has one of the most technologically advanced economies in the world. Our exports are not, as one might imagine, dominated by natural resources but to manufactured goods. Boring stuff like transport, aerospace, telecoms, high tech etc. Then we get into natural resources.

The same is not true of the UK, BTW.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The same is not true of the UK, BTW.
The UK's all about London, innit? Banking, insurance, invisibles.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:18 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

According to Statistics Canada's figures for 2005, Canada's major exports (in millions of dollars) were as follows:
Machinery (agricultural machinery, aircraft equipment, etc.) : 94,641.2

Automotive products : 88,162.3

Energy : 86,924.1

Industrial goods (metals, etc.) : 84,641.4

Forestry products : 36,606.3

Agricultural and fisheries products : 30,217.6
I've searched, unsuccessfully so far, for the earnings of Canada's film industry.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
According to Statistics Canada's figures for 2005, Canada's major exports (in millions of dollars) were as follows:
Machinery (agricultural machinery, aircraft equipment, etc.) : 94,641.2

Automotive products : 88,162.3

Energy : 86,924.1

Industrial goods (metals, etc.) : 84,641.4

Forestry products : 36,606.3

Agricultural and fisheries products : 30,217.6
I've searched, unsuccessfully so far, for the earnings of Canada's film industry.
Ohh it is an education on here ! L.O.L.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:33 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Canadas largest industry is Automotive I think...at least in Ontario. Natural resources are very important to the overall economy though.
The largest industry in Canada - and in Ontario - is the service industry. The largest manufacturing industry in Ontario is the auto industry.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The largest industry in Canada - and in Ontario - is the service industry.
That's a bit nebulous though, lumping tax planners and prostitutes together may be fun but it's not really useful.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The UK's all about London, innit? Banking, insurance, invisibles.
The overall economy, yes. The resource sector plays a surprsingly important role in exports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.