Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you prove you have sufficient funds?

How do you prove you have sufficient funds?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

rizwan_fareed will become famous soon enough
Default How do you prove you have sufficient funds?

How do you prove you have sufficient funds when you have landed in Canada?

For example, all you would really have is your Bank cards and that too from the UK I guess on your intial visit....

So how do you prove you have the funds to stay in Canada? I guess they check when you initially land in Canada?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:45 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you prove you have sufficient funds?

Originally Posted by rizwan_fareed

For example, all you would really have is your Bank cards and that too from the UK I guess on your intial visit....

So how do you prove you have the funds to stay in Canada? I guess they check when you initially land in Canada?
Your bank statement (maybe) Just guessing at this point?

Emma
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

My son landed two weeks ago , he had to prove he had funds to support him , i sent him with my bank statement that was two weeks old , this one showed the money before i transferred some , they were happy with that.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

You can show them your bank statements. You can also use an ATM print out to make up the balance. I only got asked if I had sufficient funds, without having to show anything.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We are going on holiday to Canada in December - and will use this opportunity to 'land' formally.

The forms we have, to use when we land, ask the question 'Money in Possession' ... and as this will be a holiday, the answer is 'not alot' !

Is this the same as 'proof of funds' that I keep reading about - or do I need to complete a separate form (downloaded from somewhere?) ?

By December we will not have sold our house - where all the cash is coming from - and I really can't provide proof of any other funds which are not tied up in the house - a bank statement showing my overdraft will not be very impressive!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Depends if you are talking about proof of funds for landing permanently (Bank statements etc), or proof of funds for a visitors visa (Credit cards, travelers cheques, cash etc)
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
We are going on holiday to Canada in December - and will use this opportunity to 'land' formally.

The forms we have, to use when we land, ask the question 'Money in Possession' ... and as this will be a holiday, the answer is 'not alot' !

Is this the same as 'proof of funds' that I keep reading about - or do I need to complete a separate form (downloaded from somewhere?) ?

By December we will not have sold our house - where all the cash is coming from - and I really can't provide proof of any other funds which are not tied up in the house - a bank statement showing my overdraft will not be very impressive!
The funds you have to "prove" are those that are contained here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-4.html

and, in theory, you can be prevented from "landing" if you are unable to prove them. In practice, it would appear that virtually nobody is ever asked to "prove" them but it is a requirement of your landing. As you can see the amount you have to show depends upon the number in your family
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:41 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
The funds you have to "prove" are those that are contained here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-4.html

and, in theory, you can be prevented from "landing" if you are unable to prove them. In practice, it would appear that virtually nobody is ever asked to "prove" them but it is a requirement of your landing.
.... but some have, depends where you land I think.

The "money in possession" thing is more about preventing money laundering. You're not supposed to carry more than $10k or something.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
.... but some have, depends where you land I think.

The "money in possession" thing is more about preventing money laundering. You're not supposed to carry more than $10k or something.
There is nothing to stop you carrying more, they just want it reported to help prevent laundering, thats all. You dont get taxed on it or anything.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:56 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's right.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

OK - thanks for that - I see what it means now.

So now I need to chat up my father in law - borrow about £10,000 - pay it into our account then get a bank statement/print-out dated just before we go - then give it all back to him again

Seriously - it's a sad state of affairs - just spent last few thousand that we had on finishing off some essential jobs on the house, plus paying for the holiday in December has pretty much cleared us out. Got thousands as assets in the house, but till some nice person comes along to buy it, I can't prove anything !!!!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

So now I need to chat up my father in law - borrow about £10,000 - pay it into our account then get a bank statement/print-out dated just before we go - then give it all back to him again

Seriously - it's a sad state of affairs - just spent last few thousand that we had on finishing off some essential jobs on the house, plus paying for the holiday in December has pretty much cleared us out. Got thousands as assets in the house, but till some nice person comes along to buy it, I can't prove anything !!!!
You know that would probably work, but it aint legal

Could just sell the house a few % below market value.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Would it help at all if you took your mortgage statement and valuation of your house?? I dont know just a suggestion. We will have sold our house before we go so i am not sure if that would help.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Would it help at all if you took your mortgage statement and valuation of your house?? I dont know just a suggestion. We will have sold our house before we go so i am not sure if that would help.
You can do that to qualify for the application stage(in the UK only I believe), but when you actually come to land they want to see proof of real liquid assets, so that wont work Im afraid.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Sarahad - ref mortgage statement and valuation - yes, that is what I included in my original PR application to prove we had enough pennies. Wasn't sure if I could do the same thing for the 'landing' bit though.

And ref lowering price of house - it's not yet on the market and it will not go on the market for a few more weeks yet, so I cannot see that we will have completed on the sale of our home and have the balance of the sale in our bank account, all by early December. It will take a British housing market miracle in my eyes (cash buyer exception - oh where are they?! ) .

So in reality - right at this moment - I do not have liquid funds at all ! Hence chatting up father in law.

Another alternative is not to 'land' formally in December at all - just have the holiday - hubby does his interviews, enjoy the ski-ing and then 'land and move' all at the same time next Spring (but then we would be under pressure to be within the one year timeline of the medical which is May ) . And heaven forbid - what if the house still hadn't sold by then - I've seen it happen.

Ok, time to go and put my positive thinking head on again ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.